Man Shot By Instructor During Fairfield County Concealed Car

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Man Shot By Instructor During Fairfield County Concealed

Post by Tweed Ring »

Werz wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:No loaded guns in the class. None.
Interesting. I did not know that.

I have carried openly several time when teaching the legal portion of CHL classes with NRA-certified instructors. Although the gun never leaves the holster, it is definitely loaded. Nobody ever told me I couldn't or shouldn't.

However, if that contravenes official NRA policy, I will reconsider.
My NRA Instructor-Trainer was adamant about the no loaded guns and no live ammo in the class policy. Too much chance for one meeting the other with bad results.
Guitar Slinger
*** Banned ***

Post by Guitar Slinger »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Guitar Slinger wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:But, as they say, any schmuck can become an NRA instructor.
Who says that ?

73 year old guy... elitist "law enforcement" attitude...

Why am I not surprised ?
A good number of OPOTA instructors that I've dealt with.
"Terry also teaches in the law enforcement training program through the Eastland Career Center, recertifies law enforcement officials in Firearms Certification, and schedules and instructs many local Conceal Carry certification classes. He also does consultation with Ohio’s Supreme Court Systems on their security measures and practices. Terry maintains his status as a Peace Office with the Harrisburg Police Department."

http://www.violet.oh.us/Government/Depa ... stees.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the same sense... anyone can be qualified to be a OPOTA instructor.

Yikes.....
mreising

Post by mreising »

Werz wrote:

I have carried openly several time when teaching the legal portion of CHL classes with NRA-certified instructors. Although the gun never leaves the holster, it is definitely loaded. Nobody ever told me I couldn't or shouldn't.

It is spelled out very specifically in the NRA Instructor Guides and is a hard and fast policy in the classroom. I am surprised that the instructors have not checked your gun when you entered the classroom. We always show clear when entering the classroom with a gun. We usually leave our ammo on the windowsill outside the classroom so we can load as we leave to pick up food or go to the range, and we always unload when we return to the classroom. We also check the students' guns and all of the guns we have out on the table in the classroom. We don't load our guns until the end of the day and all the students have left, then we rearm while we count the bazillions of dollars we just took in :roll: . If you believe that last one I've got some swamp land to sell; it will be listed in the For Sale/Trades/Wanted-Misc. Non-Firearms forum..
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Werz wrote:

Yep,
That's a hard and fast rule
First slide of the Basic Pistol Course
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

My Instructor-Trainer was an NRA Instructor-Trainer. Again, he stressed this requirement over and over.

Adamant.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

For comparison, mine was OPOTA certified active LEO and had his sidearm IWB during class. Lifted his shirt to show it was there and that was the only time a real gun was seen outside the range portion of the class.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Tweed Ring wrote:My Instructor-Trainer was an NRA Instructor-Trainer. Again, he stressed this requirement over and over.

Adamant.
The NRA refers to us as Training Counselors :)
Training Counselors train instructors, Sr. and Master Training Counselors teach Training Counselors. The more I look at this the more it looks like Mary Kay or Amway :wink:

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sorry, I'm still locked in to the PR-24 baton hierarchy, i.e. Student; Instructor; Instructor-Trainer; Senior Instructor-Trainer; International Instructor.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Tweed Ring wrote:Sorry, I'm still locked in to the PR-24 baton hierarchy, i.e. Student; Instructor; Instructor-Trainer; Senior Instructor-Trainer; International Instructor.
Another Multi-Level marketing scheme. :)

Mark
scorchedtrumpet
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by scorchedtrumpet »

10TV interviewed a female student that was in the class at the time of the shooting, she said the gun was not aimed at the victim, that the bullet ricochet off of a desk or something. I could not find a video of this, and it really doesn't change the fact that there should not have been any ammo in the class, never mind in the gun, I'm just pointing out that he may not have actually pointed the muzzle directly at the student.
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

He was my instructor three years ago. :shock:

I am shocked this happened.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

mreising wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Sorry, I'm still locked in to the PR-24 baton hierarchy, i.e. Student; Instructor; Instructor-Trainer; Senior Instructor-Trainer; International Instructor.
Another Multi-Level marketing scheme. :)
The NRA-MLM ... :roll:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Face

Post by Face »

scorchedtrumpet wrote:10TV interviewed a female student that was in the class at the time of the shooting, she said the gun was not aimed at the victim, that the bullet ricochet off of a desk or something. I could not find a video of this, and it really doesn't change the fact that there should not have been any ammo in the class, never mind in the gun, I'm just pointing out that he may not have actually pointed the muzzle directly at the student.
Link to above video http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/vi ... mpid=share
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

This guy is no stranger to accidental shootings
According to this story, he once shot a girl in the leg while "shooting blanks" up in the air
Cathy Schmelzer couldn’t believe it when she read in the newspaper that Terry J. Dunlap Sr. — a firearms instructor — had accidentally shot someone.

“Oh no, he’s done it again!” she said she thought to herself. Schmelzer, 50, was Cathy Hessler, a 14-year-old Pickerington girl, when she was accidentally shot in 1977 by Dunlap during a Halloween hayride.

At the time, Dunlap was a Pickerington police department auxiliary lieutenant. According to a Dispatch account back then, Dunlap said he had fired his .38-caliber handgun into the air to create, in his words, a “scary effect” while taking his daughter and her friends for a “haunted hayride” on his rural property in Fairfield County.

Dunlap said he thought the gun was loaded with blanks

Wonder if it was the same gun?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Chuck wrote:This guy is no stranger to accidental shootings
Oh, wow. That's no good.

If this story is true, this guy needs to go.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio