Zimmerman Redux? Landry case in New Orleans

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Zimmerman Redux? Landry case in New Orleans

Post by bignflnut »

I'm late to this party...but didn't see it elsewhere:
The teen in the light tank top climbed over Landry’s fence and into the yard. Landry’s large dog began to bark, alerting Landry to the intruder.

Merritt Landry, a 33-year-old “white caucasian” shot the victim, a 14-year-old black boy, in the head. A single spent cartridge case was recovered at the scene, indicating that a semi-automatic weapon was used and suggesting that a single shot was fired. The hour of the shooting was approximately 2:00AM, on Friday, July 26, 2013. As of this writing the victim is reported to remain alive, in critical condition at a local hospital.

Landry has been charged with attempted second degree murder. His bond was set to $10,000; he posted bond late Friday afternoon. Landry works for the City of New Orleans as a building inspector. The city says he has been placed on emergency suspension without pay pending the outcome of this case.
Louisiana has SYG and then some...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Klingon00

Re: Zimmerman Redux? Landry case in New Orleans

Post by Klingon00 »

A sad situation indeed. Some general first impressions:

I can't help but wonder, what was a 14 year old doing inside a locked gate on private property at 2am and where were the parents?

It's hard to see how they get to murder 2 in this case just like with GZ. It sounds like it will all boil down to if Landry's claim of self defense holds water.
This neighbor, like Landry a “white caucasian,” considered calling the police, but decided against this for fear of being perceived as having racially profiled a “kid who’s just biking.”
An interesting side effect from the GZ case no doubt. Even though much was made about GZ calling the police and "profiling" while "playing cop", I really think it ultimately helped his case that he called police since criminals don't typically call LEO before a crime.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Klingon00 wrote:
I can't help but wonder, what was a 14 year old doing inside a locked gate on private property at 2am and where were the parents?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe old the Yute's parents responsible for not ensuring he was home where he should have been.

I remember when I was 13-14 and got caught out in the wee hours of the morning, local pd took me home to my dad, I didn't sneak out after that! Didn't sit down for a couple hours either. :cry:
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

TJW815 wrote:
I remember when I was 13-14 and got caught out in the wee hours of the morning, local pd took me home to my dad, I didn't sneak out after that! Didn't sit down for a couple hours either. :cry:
Yep. If I had been caught out at that age and that time of the morning, the police would have been the LEAST of my problems. Speaks volumes of where we've "evolved" to, eh?
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Yeah it makes me sick. I have two (soon to be three) young boys. The world they are going to experience is a far cry from what it was when I was a kid (not that long ago) I feel bad for them I really do.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

My oldest son got caught out drinking when he was 19 or 20... He looked military and I believe that is the only reason he didn't go to jail. His friend was also drinking and driving and he did go to jail. When the cop asked him if he had anyone he could call to come get him he said "yes sir, I could call my dad but could you just take me to jail instead?"
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Some of the things kids do these days would have gotten me beaten to within an inch of my life if not just disappeared into the ground.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

What is the law in Louisiana say about such situations? Is the law the same or similar to that of Texas?
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I remember being young and with just enough knowledge that if I did something that would have involved the police and my parents, I would be begging the police to protect me! :shock:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

charliej47 wrote::shock: I remember being young and with just enough knowledge that if I did something that would have involved the police and my parents, I would be begging the police to protect me! :shock:
LOL. Yes, times have changed, unfortunately.
DoubleK

Post by DoubleK »

Hey folks, we are from a different time. I, like the others who posted, feared my dad's reaction more than the PD. BUT, I would have never gotten into the same situation being out at 2am in someone's backyard.

Now kids have rights. You can't beat them "within an inch of their life" without it being child abuse. Oh well....
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

DoubleK wrote:Hey folks, we are from a different time. I, like the others who posted, feared my dad's reaction more than the PD. BUT, I would have never gotten into the same situation being out at 2am in someone's backyard.

Now kids have rights. You can't beat them "within an inch of their life" without it being child abuse. Oh well....

Well, beating them within an inch of their life was wrong, but letting them get away with anything and without consequences is child abuse too.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Our parents were the last word of authority in our young lives. There was no one to appeal to who was not in cahoots with our parents. Or so we believed. Not so today and the kids know it. Just ask anyone who has had any dealings with children services.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

New Orleans Police Chief "Got the Memo"

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08/me ... innocence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the Zimmerman case, you will recall, George was not arrested and charged for some weeks after he shot Trayvon Martin in lawful self-defense. Until that point, local law enforcement and prosecutors had declined to charge Zimmerman with a crime based on the facts in evidence strongly supporting his claim of self-defense.

There, it was not until the racial agitators came to town and brought political pressure to bear that the evisceration of Zimmerman’s due process rights was begun, starting with the travesty of an affidavit of probable cause. The fallout of this lawlessness was the resignation of the region’s top prosecutor, the firing of the local police chief, and the demotion of the department’s chief investigator to patrolman.

The police chief of New Orleans clearly got the memo. He wasn’t going to lose his job because he appeared to be “too slow” in bringing “justice” to Merritt Landry. Landry was swiftly overcharged with attempted second degree murder, booked, and released on $10,000 bail.
So is this now SOP in self defense cases in our nation involving differing races of a specific variety? Assume guilt until proven otherwise and overcharge Murder 2 regardless of the facts of the case?
A_F

Post by A_F »

I wonder how that profile-a-phobe would have felt had the suspect gone on to rape or kill some little girl?