CBus: 1 dead by M1 Garand, accidental

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

CBus: 1 dead by M1 Garand, accidental

Post by Sevens »

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/22866701/cpd ... l-shooting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strange -- according to the story, guys come home from a night of drinking at the bar, get out the M1 Garand, 26-year old gets accidentally shot-- in the upper arm and dies from the wound three hours later. :shock: :?:

Not a great idea to play with the guns upon returning from the bar. :|
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Naticarry

Re: CBus: 1 dead by M1 Garand, accidental

Post by Naticarry »

Sevens wrote:Not a great idea to play with the guns upon returning from the bar. :|
Failing on that count at least follow the NRA's 3 rules. It's a little sketchy on the details but I am going to guess a good chunk of his arm must have been missing to cause him to die from blood loss? Not sure what a point blank 30-06 wound looks like but I am going to guess it's not pretty.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Keep in mind that hitting an artery, and not being able to stop the bleeding, will certainly lead to death from exsanguination in a matter of time. Wonder if these guys called for help right away?

Now here's Brian D.'s Helpful Fire/EMS Tip Of The Day...to control arm or leg bleeding there are three methods to use, in this order: Direct pressure, pressure dressing, and then tourniquet. If the bleeding isn't easily stopped with direct pressure, it's time to start thinking about dialing for professional help. If the response time is gonna be lengthy, use the time to try the pressure dressing and finally a tourniquet for whomever you're helping.

I'll let y'all look up "pressure dressing" for yourselves so you get the technique explained with pictures instead of just my written description. Heck you might even learn something else along the way.

Reason I brought it up to begin with is to mention that no, using a tourniquet is NOT off the table as an option, in the short term anyhow. Many people seem to believe that any use of a tourniquet will lead to amputation of the limb so wrapped. That would be true if the tourniquet was used for a longer time, but not so much if it's say two hours or less, which would easily be a normal parameter for getting somebody to a decent hospital in this part of the world. Okay, in most cases. Yeah, you're hiking someplace several miles from help, no communications to get EMS closer to you, different story.
Last edited by Brian D. on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Naticarry wrote:Not sure what a point blank 30-06 wound looks like but I am going to guess it's not pretty.
Yeah, 30.06 has a long history of killin' Japs, Krauts, and commies!
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Brian D. wrote:Keep in mind that hitting an artery, and not being able to stop the bleeding, will certainly lead to death from exsanguination in a matter of time. Wonder if these guys called for help right away?

Now here's Brian D.'s Helpful Fire/EMS Tip Of The Day...to control arm or leg bleeding there are three methods to use, in this order: Direct pressure, pressure dressing, and then tourniquet. If the bleeding isn't easily stopped with direct pressure, it's time to start thinking about dialing for professional help. If the response time is gonna be lengthy, use the time to try the pressure dressing and finally a tourniquet for whomever you're helping.

I'll let y'all look up "pressure dressing" for yourselves so you get the technique explained with pictures instead of just my written description. Heck you might even learn something else along the way.

Reason I brought it up to begin with is to mention that no, using a tourniquet is NOTES off the table as an option, in the short term anyhow. Many people seem to believe that any use of a tourniquet will lead to amputation of the limb so wrapped. That would be true if the tourniquet was used for a longer time, but not so much if it's say two hours or less, which would easily be a normal parameter for getting somebody to a decent hospital in this part of the world. Okay, in most cases. Yeah, you're hiking someplace several miles from help, no communications to get EMS closer to you, different story.
Maybe a little off topic but in line with Brian's post. I used to work at a machine shop it the Dayton area. January of 2012 one of my co workers who had been doing this for longer than I have been alive and is very good at what he does and usually very safe about his work darn near died because of lack of attention to safety measures. He got his arm caught in a bore hole of a part on a horizontal lathe. The boring are was backed out but not all the way. One thing lead to another and his are got wrapped around the boring arm with the machine spinning. It tore up his hand and forearm really bad. Had it not been for the quick thinking and reactions of several others he would likely have died. One employee realized how fast he was bleeding and how much had already been lost and used his belt to stop blood flow somewhere between the elbow and shoulder. The surgeon later said that had that belt not been applied as quickly as it was or at all he would have likely lost his arm or his life. The injured employee is still going through reconstructive surgeries and will never have full use of his hand but they expect 80-90% recovery.

May not be a good option for many situations but for those chosen few it is exactly what is needed.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Some people talk about shoulder injuries being just a "flesh wound" but there is a MAJOR artery that runs through there to the upper arm that if punctured can be extremely difficult to stop the blood flow because of the skeletal structure there. Death can occur in minutes.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Klingon00 wrote:Some people talk about shoulder injuries being just a "flesh wound" but there is a MAJOR artery that runs through there to the upper arm that if punctured can be extremely difficult to stop the blood flow because of the skeletal structure there. Death can occur in minutes.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

:lol: :lol: Thanks
mreising

Post by mreising »

The husband of a woman I worked with in Missouri was shot in the shoulder, from the rear, while driving his truck. It was a 30-06; I believe a bolt gun. He almost died and was hospitalized several weeks and had reconstructive surgery and months of rehabilitation to regain the use of his arm.The shot was taken from a distance away but probably less than 100 yards. He had the misfortune to own a pickup truck that was similar to one owned by a union official that someone had a beef with.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
stew47

Post by stew47 »

Shoulder injury is tough. Depends where at tourniquets would be of no use once the injury is chest and not extremity. Direct pressure becomes useless, elevation no good, no pressure points, and coagulating dressings like quick clot may not work. Only option then is surgery. However in Cbus he would've had world class trauma care. Sadly they didn't utilize it.
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

Klingon00 wrote:Some people talk about shoulder injuries being just a "flesh wound" but there is a MAJOR artery that runs through there to the upper arm that if punctured can be extremely difficult to stop the blood flow because of the skeletal structure there. Death can occur in minutes.

I can think of two times on screen characters have died from specifically referenced Femoral artery injuries. Black Hawk Down and Band Of Brothers. There are probably more I cant remember. But I cant even count how many times you see characters in film and TV get shot in the shoulder and keep right on going like nothing happened.

I can see because of this people thinking shoulder and upper arm gunshots are only flesh wounds.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

BobK wrote:
Naticarry wrote:Not sure what a point blank 30-06 wound looks like but I am going to guess it's not pretty.
Yeah, 30.06 has a long history of killin' Japs, Krauts, and commies!
:lol: