Any mountain bikers?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sxshep

Any mountain bikers?

Post by sxshep »

I've been going stir-crazy... I bought a 29er in December (Motobecane Fantom 29 X7 from BikesDirect), and have only put about 50 miles on it. I rode a section of the Little Miami trail (Corwin to Fort Ancient and back) and have gone on a few late night city rides. It seems like most of the trails around SW Ohio are either closed for clean up or are too sloppy to ride (courtesy to other riders). I can't wait until Mitchell Memorial opens back up, and have been wanting to check out Caesar Creek and Momba.

Post up what you're riding! Here's a quick pic of my Motobecane 29er... Only things I've swapped out were the pedals (Wellgo MG-1) and the grips (Ergon GP2). I'd like to get a shorter stem, a new seat and a setback seatpost.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Any mountain bikers?

Post by Cruiser »

I used to, but have been out of it for a some years. Boy, it looks like the wheels got bigger! We rode 26".
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Where is your AR rack? :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Where are the mountains?
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

Metallica Rules, LOL!!

We used to ride Trek's all over East Fork Lake. Had the Camelbak water bottles and all!

I still ride on 2 wheels, but with an 800cc motor these days.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
landrvrnut22

Post by landrvrnut22 »

I ride a 1996 Cannondale M200LE, I bought new. I ride out at Quail Hollow a little bit, and some of the unauthorized trails along the towpath. Haven't been out much the last couple years. I did spend some time in Maryland and there was some great trails down there.

Now you got me wanting to pull my bike down, and ride.
BlueMR2

Post by BlueMR2 »

Cruiser wrote:I used to, but have been out of it for a some years. Boy, it looks like the wheels got bigger! We rode 26".
Same here. I've still got my 26" from WAAAY back in the day. It's pretty beat, but I still ride it around in town (since the in town roads are much too rough to ride the road bike on).
sxshep

Post by sxshep »

Picked all this up yesterday/last night on Craigslist...

Redline Monocog (large frame, I believe)... Time Z clipless pedals, Serfas Drifter tires, Tektro linear brakes, etc
Wellgo MG1 pedals
WTB seat and seatpost
Promax mechanical disk brakes
Suntour front fork
Extra singlespeed wheel set with Innova tires and Promax rotors

The frame is a bit small for me, but I bought it mostly as a backup for others to ride too (and urban riding)... so it should be fine for what I paid. Just need to get the seatpost out and swap out the rear cog for better gearing. I still need to track down a hitch bike rack (1 1/4'') and put the Curt Hitch on the Speed3
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

I am not a mountain biker, but I do ride the bike trail between Dayton/Xenia/Yellow Springs/and I think it ends in Milford(?), but have only been about 10 miles South of Corwin. I need to get out and start biking again. I have a hybrid with I really like. Too old for mountain bikes and road bikes (how can you SIT on that seat??) It's a very enjoyable trail and a few hills, but nothing too serious. Not a lot of roads to cross (unless you go through Xenia or Springfield). It's great exercise and I do need more of that!

I do carry when I am on the trails and you will see the occasional odd looking fellow (especially as you near Yellow Springs!) They made great use of the old railroads and it's nice to ride a smooth, relatively flat trail.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sxshep

Post by sxshep »

I live just west of Corwin, and have only rode the section between Corwin and Fort Ancient (19.8 miles round trip) and it was a very nice ride. I'd like to take it north next time, from Corwin to Xenia.
Thomas Edison
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Finally got the scratch and ordered a Trek Too Fuel 8. Its a 100/100 travel bike, which for where I live is just fine and dandy, without giving up much speed to a hard tail on climbs.

Just waiting for it to ship. First real mountain bike, first full squish, first air shock, first tubeless, etc etc.

I’ll order a dropper post in a few weeks/months, and might do a 1x conversion on it later this year.
Then time to sell it and buy the next one
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction