That backfired...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

The German

That backfired...

Post by The German »

Went to the range on Sunday and blasted through a hundred rounds of .45 and of course took the big broom to collect all my brass (and whatever the broom could reach.... you know how that goes ....). So, when I got back, the usual process - hand sorting the brass, running them through the tumbler, enjoying the shiny clean brass that comes out and dump it in the box with the other 800+ .45 ACP shells that are waiting to fulfill their destiny.

Well, in hindsight, collecting all the brass that was unclaimed and in reach was a terrible idea. When I started reloading the .45, suddenly there was a problem with seating the primer. Happens once in a while and with the LEE Loadmaster, troubleshooting is sometimes part of the game, but this time, no matter how much I tried, I could not get a primer set. Took me about 5 minutes and several attempts until the light bulb in the head went on and I remembered that there was actually .45 ACP brass with a small pistol primer pocket.... double checked and yes, there was one black sheep in the press.

Now, the part that really made this a bad thing is that I dumped all the newly collected brass in the big box and now I had to go through almost 1000 brass to find the ones with the small primer. Found 20 and hope that was it.... Will take a big hammer later and turn them into recycle material... and will enjoy it :lol:

Next time, I will (probably) just stick to the brass that I brought when picking it up.... well, probably.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: That backfired...

Post by JustaShooter »

I'd be inclined to collect it and sell it once I got enough - there are folks that are getting rid of their large primer .45ACB brass and moving to small primer.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tbram88

Post by tbram88 »

I'm saving all my sp .45 brass and when I get enough to be worth it I can trade them for lp.

All the best...Bob.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. -Thomas Jefferson

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way. -Metallica (No Leaf Clover)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I switched over to small primer 45s myself. That way I only need to stock a few large primers anymore. They shoot just as well, and since nobody wants them I get them for free. I sell all my large primer 45s. I know a couple people who reload commercially that like the small primer 45s too.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
hershey

Post by hershey »

i wish it was only 20 per thousand on my end. I ended up w/ about 20% of my brass being small primer, w/ just enough GAP ammo to really iritate things. i ran 1000rds which should last till next winter, but them small primers sure slowed things down. I will either switch to small if i accumulate enough, or work a trade. mine is all range brass mostly from ccw classes, i am guessing new manufacture stuff is making the switch, as it only just showed up in the last batch(sorted every winter).
God loves you......... yep, even on them days too.

Are you missing me yet? - George Bush
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

hershey wrote:i wish it was only 20 per thousand on my end. I ended up w/ about 20% of my brass being small primer, w/ just enough GAP ammo to really iritate things. i ran 1000rds which should last till next winter, but them small primers sure slowed things down. I will either switch to small if i accumulate enough, or work a trade. mine is all range brass mostly from ccw classes, i am guessing new manufacture stuff is making the switch, as it only just showed up in the last batch(sorted every winter).
Winchester's Non Toxic was the first I recall seeing (WIN NT headstamp) but now the ATK headstamps (Federal, CCI, Speer, Blazer) have started switching over. 4 years ago I was seeing less than 10% small primer 45s. Now I see 25% and it is getting higher.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
hAkron

Post by hAkron »

No need to discard them. Save them in a separate container. When you have enough, trade them, or run a batch of small.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I would separate them and either trade or keep in a bucket for a rainy day.

I know, they are a PITA. Fortunately, I collected all of mine before they came up with the crazy idea.
Cherokee

Post by Cherokee »

Keep and trade for LP brass, that I what I did last month with 1100 SP cases.