Off-duty CLE cop barred from school building

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Off-duty CLE cop barred from school building

Post by cashman966 »

Werz wrote:
2ndamendment wrote:Police are on duty 24-7. This is how we were trained. But this was years ago since I'm no longer a LEO. I would assume it is how it is now.
I've heard similar statements before. Will the employing police agency accept full responsibility for an LEO's actions, all day, every day? No. Being "on call" - particularly for the purpose of carrying a firearm - is not the same as "on duty." It's a convenient excuse for cops to carry guns anywhere they want, and it's rare that anyone calls them on it, but it is not supported by prevailing law.

Maybe I am reading it wrong but wouldn't he be covered under this exemption
2923.122 Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.

(D)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code,(109.801 Annual firearms requalification program) unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (D)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person.
Seems it would apply unless his department bars off duty carry in schools.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

cashman966 wrote:Maybe I am reading it wrong but wouldn't he be covered under this exemption
It's not a question of criminal legality but rather civil liability. The issue becomes if he shoots someone off duty. He'll be quick to say "hey man, qualified immunity, I'm on the job 24/7" and the employing agency will be quick to say "nope, he was acting on his own. He may be a peace officer 24/7 in the eyes of the state but he was not acting as our agent at the time in question."

I'm acutely aware of what this means from a civil standpoint. Because I'm affiliated with a law enforcement agency I have no doubt that God forbid I ever shoot someone off duty the trial lawyers will come knocking on my door and that of my department. If I was just Joe CHL they might look at me and realize I've got nowhere near the assets of a municipality. So while I might get sued if I were just a private citizen I will get sued because I'm law enforcement and they know that qualified immunity will not apply.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

funny how some of them get upset when their rights are denied but had no thoughts about us lowly citizens. Not all of them mind you but some of them.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

I guess I misunderstood Wertz, I took his statement "It's a convenient excuse for cops to carry guns anywhere they want, and it's rare that anyone calls them on it, but it is not supported by prevailing law." to be in regards to the legal not civil part of of carry.

ETA
The thread seemed to be addressing criminal not civil liability. So in this case, unless the LEOs department specifically disallows the exemption provided by the statute I don't understand what charges he would face.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

cashman966 wrote:The thread seemed to be addressing criminal not civil liability. So in this case, unless the LEOs department specifically disallows the exemption provided by the statute I don't understand what charges he would face.
It doesn't help that the article says the incident may "lead to changes." I read it quickly and thought it said "charges." I don't think there's any criminal charges being considered in this matter just a change in policy by CMSD.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I'll bet anyone a steak dinner that if there was ever a Bill under consideration by the legislature to allow concealed handgun licensees to carry on school property, and this union president was asked to testify, he would happily and forcefully testify against extending the same rights to CHL's that he wants for himself.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

BobK wrote:I'll bet anyone a steak dinner that if there was ever a Bill under consideration by the legislature to allow concealed handgun licensees to carry on school property, and this union president was asked to testify, he would happily and forcefully testify against extending the same rights to CHL's that he wants for himself.
Well yes, the union desk jockey even said that they're better trained at school security than the guards are. Whether that's a true statement or not I don't really know but CMSD does operate a police unit with sworn officers. This is the same department that apparently thinks its better at protecting state prisons than the corrections officers are. :roll:

Based on that why would one ever think that there is anything but utter contempt for the average private citizen?
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

BobK wrote:I'll bet anyone a steak dinner that if there was ever a Bill under consideration by the legislature to allow concealed handgun licensees to carry on school property, and this union president was asked to testify, he would happily and forcefully testify against extending the same rights to CHL's that he wants for himself.
Very tempting , is lobster part of this deal... wait what no yeah I don't see them testifying on our side.. Self defense is only for police unionist.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

cashman966 wrote:
Werz wrote:
2ndamendment wrote:Police are on duty 24-7. This is how we were trained. But this was years ago since I'm no longer a LEO. I would assume it is how it is now.
I've heard similar statements before. Will the employing police agency accept full responsibility for an LEO's actions, all day, every day? No. Being "on call" - particularly for the purpose of carrying a firearm - is not the same as "on duty." It's a convenient excuse for cops to carry guns anywhere they want, and it's rare that anyone calls them on it, but it is not supported by prevailing law.
Maybe I am reading it wrong but wouldn't he be covered under this exemption
2923.122 Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.

(D)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code,(109.801 Annual firearms requalification program) unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (D)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person.
Seems it would apply unless his department bars off duty carry in schools.
I was only addressing the statement about "on duty 24-7." I was aware of the (D)(1)(b) exemption, but I have issues with that provision for several reasons - some of which I have expressed before - and I think that provision is intentionally opaque to the casual reader. Maybe this is a good opportunity to rant about that.

Note your paranthetical. You put it in there specifically because the statute does not state or imply what "109.081" is or what it means. The casual reader won't know what it means. They will understand (D)(1)(a), and it will likely make sense to them that an "on duty" officer should be allowed to carry into prohibited places. What they will not realize is that (D)(1)(b) intentionally creates a "back door" to circumvent the "on duty" requirement and makes peace officers "special snowflakes" who can carry guns into prohibited places, even when off duty. Nevertheless, given the way it is stated, most readers don't realize that is what is being done, particularly since they need to refer to another statute to even determine what that subsection means.

My greater concern, which I have expressed before, is with that provision as set forth in R.C. 2923.121(B)(1)(b). CHL holders are prohibited from drinking any alcohol when carrying a firearm on D-permit premises. I'm OK with the exemption under R.C. 2923.121(B)(1)(a) because any officer who is "on duty" had damn well better not be drinking alcohol. However, the (B)(1)(b) provision creates a "back door" which allows peace officers to carry a gun into a bar and basically drink all they want, at least until they reach the level of clear intoxication as described under R.C. 2923.15, and even that is only a misdemeanor. I don't like them having that option.* And that is an option that CHL holders clearly do not have, even though the a peace officer's right to carry a concealed firearm while "off duty" is supposed to be the "same right to carry a concealed handgun ... as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license[.]" R.C. 2923.126(E). Personally, I think the Ohio General Assembly needs to be confronted with the sneaky "109.081" exemption which applies regardless of whether a law enforcement officer is on duty or not, and some of the inequities in that provision, as well as some of the risks, need to be brought to their attention.

Bottom Line: Most people understand why "on duty" law enforcement officers have exemptions to carry firearms into prohibited places, and that is already specifically provided for in the statutes. The only reason for inserting the "(b)" provisions is to sneak in special off-duty privileges for peace officers without the general public recognizing that is what is being done.

* I'm sure that some folks will insist that they should be allowed to drink at the bar and carry a gun anytime they want. I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, you knowingly waive your Second Amendment right when you start knowinly introducing alcohol into your body. They can scream "Shall not be infringed!" all they want, and I don't care. I've seen too many dead bodies caused by drunks with guns.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Werz:

We've hit the Class D issue before....

Overall, I'd prefer that the law NOT show an "absolutely zero" consumption requirement. A readable BAC (say .04%) makes more sense. Not because I think that people should drink while carrying, but that it's possible to be served something you didn't ask for, and maybe not notice fast enough....

Also, just being served could generate a presumption of consumption.

Either way, since the law doesn't seem to include "knowingly", it still makes it dangerous.

But, we're wandering off the OP's topic :D....

And, yes, if we were asking the Police Unions to help us out on school carry, I would sooner expect Zero to turn Republican and take up arms against the Brady Bunch.... Individual Officers generally seem to agree with the rest of us, but the Unions have to kiss the Party Line to avoid getting their share of Washington's goodies taken away.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Ring

Post by Ring »

sodbuster95 wrote:
rufus wrote:Cops should not be afforded more rights that a regular citizen by virtue of their job.
This.
pirateguy191 wrote:I'm on duty 24/7 also............protecting my family and myself. I'm not allowed to carry into a school without permission.
And this.

There's this idea that a badge is some sort of magical talisman that confers special rights and privileges. Yeah...no, it doesn't.

this....
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

sodbuster95 wrote:There's this idea that a badge is some sort of magical talisman that confers special rights and privileges. Yeah...no, it doesn't.
That's a huge one. I actually got mad at someone on one of the facebook groups that posted questioning why it should be a felony to illegaly sell to a police officer without a background check (going on about the proposed changes.) I questioned them on why should it be any different for them verse me? Their only answer was, they're a cop.

So, we give them special priveleges because some think they deserve it. Personally, I wish there was a law that said when not being paid, they had to abide by all the laws of CHL holders in the state of Ohio.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:There's this idea that a badge is some sort of magical talisman that confers special rights and privileges. Yeah...no, it doesn't.
That's a huge one. I actually got mad at someone on one of the facebook groups that posted questioning why it should be a felony to illegaly sell to a police officer without a background check (going on about the proposed changes.) I questioned them on why should it be any different for them verse me? Their only answer was, they're a cop.

So, we give them special priveleges because some think they deserve it. Personally, I wish there was a law that said when not being paid, they had to abide by all the laws of CHL holders in the state of Ohio.
The LEO backing for our side would skyrocket!
:shock:
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

techguy85 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

The LEO backing for our side would skyrocket!
:shock:
Problem is you'd never get it passed because they would fight that with everything they have and say how their 4 hours, 25 shots, of yearly qualifying is more experience than my 60 hours, 2000 rounds (one gun only) that I shot last year.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BobK

Post by BobK »

sodbuster95 wrote:
rufus wrote:Cops should not be afforded more rights that a regular citizen by virtue of their job.
This.
pirateguy191 wrote:I'm on duty 24/7 also............protecting my family and myself. I'm not allowed to carry into a school without permission.
And this.

There's this idea that a badge is some sort of magical talisman that confers special rights and privileges. Yeah...no, it doesn't.
Or, one could take the opposite approach. Concede that special rights and privileges exist, but then get those same rights and privileges extended to Concealed Handgun Licensees. :mrgreen: :P

I am considering taking a day off work next week and traveling to Austin to testify for a bill that basically does that. It re-arranges Texas law to place CHL's in the same exemption category as Peace Officers and would allow CHL's to basically carry almost everywhere an LEO can carry, and well as convert the CHL to a generalized CWL. I do not think it has a high probability of passing this session, but getting a hearing this time sets it up for a better chance next legislative session.

Naturally, the ideal is constitutional carry without government restriction, but meanwhile I support taking incremental steps in the right direction.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?