Fox reporter to jail Won't release sources in CO Shooter sto

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Fox reporter to jail Won't release sources in CO Shooter sto

Post by Bruenor »

Figured this was appropriate since it relates to the loser from Colorado.
Fox News reporter Jana Winter faces jail for doing her job too well. She's not been accused of any crime, only of protecting the identity of confidential news sources while reporting an important development in a major national story. A Colorado court has now compounded a pending murder trial with a second legal case, one with profound First Amendment ramifications.
Fox News sent Winter, a veteran reporter based in New York, to Colorado to cover the shooting and its aftermath. Winter soon broke an exclusive story revealing that, prior to the shooting, Holmes had sent a package to a University of Colorado psychiatrist that included a notebook "full of details about how he was going to kill people," according to one of Winter’s sources. Her July 25 article on FoxNews.com also reported that the notebook contained illustrations of a massacre, including drawings of gun-wielding stick figures shooting other stick figures.

The package, sent to Dr. Lynne Fenton, is now in the hands of Holmes' defense attorneys, who have not released any further details on its contents.

Winter's story cited unnamed law enforcement sources and drew an immediate reaction from Holmes’ attorneys.
Samour himself stated that the subpoena to Winter presented her with a “Hobson’s Choice.” If forced to testify, Winter would either reveal her confidential sources in the nation's highest profile trial – perhaps destroying her career as an investigative reporter – or spend up to six months in jail, according to Judge Samour.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Fox reporter to jail Won't release sources in CO Shooter

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I hear stripes are slimming.

Seriously, I hope she holds out.
MyWifeSaidYes
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Don't we have the right to remain silent, to say nothing incriminating ? What exactly is she charged with ?
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

wkdravenna wrote:Don't we have the right to remain silent, to say nothing incriminating ? What exactly is she charged with ?
Contempt of court would be my guess.

Unfortunately, the SCOTUS has never given media the right to remain silent or not reveal their sources if the source has something to do with a crime.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I don't see how it directly relates to the crime of the theater shooting ?

Plus there is a Shield law in Colorado to protect reporters, apparently from what I read.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/04/ ... jail-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If shes being charged, then I feel like they can't require her to say anything.
Also if shes charged doesn't she deserve a hearing and all that ? Sounds pretty Soviet Style to me.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Miller_(journalist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I believe the Shield Law protection for journalists is not absolute.