Concealed Carry Draw Technique

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SnareMan

Concealed Carry Draw Technique

Post by SnareMan »

Here's a vid I made on drawing from concealment. It was something I always just assumed would happen (getting my garment out of the way that is) until I took some time to learn how to actually do it.

http://youtu.be/goWMwFUCae4
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Re: Concealed Carry Draw Technique

Post by ATGglobal »

Decent video and technique. Similar to what I do with a closed garment. One tip that I use for when I'm wearing an open jacket I will keep either my keys in the pocket on the side that I have my weapon on or something that will have a some weight to it like a roll of quarters or pennies if thats too expensive. This way when you sweep the garment out of the way the weight of the keys or coins will help the garment to fly away from your weapon and even carry the tail around your to your back. This works extremly well if you have a lightweight jacket.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Rehostering needs a little practice also.......watched 1/2 of the vid...... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Rehostering needs a little practice also.......watched 1/2 of the vid...... :)
Please enlighten me Carmen. It appears to me that he is careful and deliberate and he looks at what he is doing when re-holstering. He appears to be safe to me. There's only stupid prizes to be won from being speedy at re holstering. Did I miss something about his holstering technique?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Klingon00 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Rehostering needs a little practice also.......watched 1/2 of the vid...... :)
Please enlighten me Carmen. It appears to me that he is careful and deliberate and he looks at what he is doing when re-holstering. He appears to be safe to me. There's only stupid prizes to be won from being speedy at re holstering. Did I miss something about his holstering technique?
Well seeing how you asked so nicely. :)

Taking your eyes off of a threat could be a mistake even if not apparent.....I was taught and practice re-holstering with out looking at my holster as I am doing it...it is pretty much easy to do if you practice it...

.....Looking down at your holster for a split second could cost you......speed has nothing to do with it...

How did I do ? :)
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

carmen fovozzo wrote: Well seeing how you asked so nicely. :)

Taking your eyes off of a threat could be a mistake even if not apparent.....I was taught and practice re-holstering with out looking at my holster as I am doing it...it is pretty much easy to do if you practice it...

.....Looking down at your holster for a split second could cost you......

Perhaps i'm a little odd, but if there's still a threat presenting itself, would it be the best course of action to put your gun away?
SnareMan

Post by SnareMan »

Short reply from my phone ...

There is no reason to be in any rush to take your gun out of a gun fight. If the fight is to the point where its safe to reholster then it should also be safe to look down for a second.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Klingon00 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote: Well seeing how you asked so nicely. :)

.....Looking down at your holster for a split second could cost you......

Perhaps i'm a little odd, but if there's still a threat presenting itself, would it be the best course of action to put your gun away?
I thought my post was clear..even if not apparent...

Example...Boxer's are taught to never take their eyes off their opponents.....

I'm certainly no self-defense expert, far from it, but that is what I was taught and I'm sticking to it....

I didn't have anything negative to say about the vid other then the re-holster part....
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I hope some of the highly trained guys on the forum give their opinions on this.....

Like Jake, TR, just to name a few......
HKJ

Post by HKJ »

I agree, if you are reholstering, should be about 99.99% sure it's over. Look to reholster, especially if carrying appendix :D
John McCreery
http://www.Ohioppt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suarez International Staff Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

" A good holster not only secures the gun on your person but also positions it for an efficient draw and permits a one handed re-holstering with out demanding that you remove your eyes from the threat area.
..The ability to re-holster one hand depends on the users skill.Being able to get the gun back into the holster with out taking your eyes off the threat can help lesson the chance of being shot by responding LE if you have shot a BG and are awaiting LE to arrive...re-holstering one handed vastly reduces the chance of you shooting your other hand if you use both hands."
Quote...Stephen P. Wenger..from his book,Defensive Use Of Firearms...Revised and Updated......I have a signed copy of both his books..... :)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:"Being able to get the gun back into the holster with out taking your eyes off the threat can help lesson the chance of being shot by responding LE if you have shot a BG and are awaiting LE to arrive"
I don't get it. :?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

JustaShooter wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:"Being able to get the gun back into the holster with out taking your eyes off the threat can help lesson the chance of being shot by responding LE if you have shot a BG and are awaiting LE to arrive"
Oh, you're probably just hung up on that whole "if there's still a threat, why am I reholstering?" line of thinking.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jabeatty wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Oh, you're probably just hung up on that whole "if there's still a threat, why am I reholstering?" line of thinking.
Well there's that, plus I'm not sure how *any* re-holstering technique can help lessen the chance of a responding LEO shooting me. For that matter, I wonder if re-holstering could *increase* the chance - but that's a topic for another thread...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The threat isn't over even if you re-holster, even if you have shot your assailant, till LE gets there..

You maybe in the process of re-holstering your gun with both hands and eyes on your re-holster as LE abruptly encounters you with both hands on your re-holster...It would look like to LE that you are drawing your weapon....if you keep your eyes on LE when you re-holster you have a chance to take cover or try and convince LE your the GG. By looking at your holster puts you out of touch for a second on what is going on....