1911 holster (Open carry) options

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TJW815

1911 holster (Open carry) options

Post by TJW815 »

Title edited for clarity - Jake

Okay all you 1911 fans. What do you carry your full size (5" barrel) in for open carry? I put mine in a belt slide because it felt really nice to walk around in and to draw from. Riding in a car however not so great! I was thinking about trying out a galco pancake. Thoughts or opinions?
Last edited by TJW815 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArmedAviator

Re: 1911 holster options

Post by ArmedAviator »

Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. It's what I use to carry my full size 1911 and it works very well.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I should have specified for open carry. I will edit my original to clarify.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If I chose to carry a big semi-auto, my first choice would be a Galco shoulder rig.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I will follow this with interest. As a new BHP owner this info could easily apply to me (although it will likely never be my EDC, ya' just never know).
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
4pocalypse

Post by 4pocalypse »

I don't OC, but this is the rig I wear when I shoot bowling pins. TT Gunleather Stronghold Orion, shown with some of my other rigs, also by TT Gunleather or Occidental.
Fail to plan, plan to fail
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Just have Dan make one to your liking. Other than a Fobus I've had forever, he has made every holster that my better half and I own. http://www.zlogonje.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

FlyinCedar wrote:Just have Dan make one to your liking. Other than a Fobus I've had forever, he has made every holster that my better half and I own. http://www.zlogonje.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For open carry, I like to have a retention method. I had difficulty finding a retention holster for the 1911 that did not disengage the safety. However, my Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig worked fine. I sent the holster to Dan to study and he made two holsters for me, one for my Kimber Ultra CDPII and one for my Colt Government Model. Both work great and neither has once disengaged the safety. Dan is the man.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Tweed Ring wrote:If I chose to carry a big semi-auto, my first choice would be a Galco shoulder rig.
+1 on that. I have a Miami Classic II for my STI. Very comfortable.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
45Automatic

Post by 45Automatic »

For open carry I like my Galco shoulder rig, or anything made by Zlogonje.
“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

question for the guys or gals with shoulder rigs. Do you use it in the summer? do you use buttoned shirt over T shirt to conceal it?
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

true_pair wrote:question for the guys or gals with shoulder rigs. Do you use it in the summer? do you use buttoned shirt over T shirt to conceal it?
Good question. Also does it pinch on the neck at all?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If I carry both of my Ruger SP 101's, I use a Galco shoulder holster, Miami Vice model. I wear it under a sports coat. It never binds nor cuts into the neck. Friend of mine bought a cheaper shoulder rig. He already has complaints.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Does it pull on the neck at all? I can't have any added pressure on my neck or back of my head for health reasons.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Nope, I have a large neck, and it doesn't bother me at all. But, I rarely use it anymore, as I rarely carry both guns at the same time.