New range in Columbus.

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

shooterwolf

New range in Columbus.

Post by shooterwolf »

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... xNFw%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S.W.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New range in Columbus.

Post by Sevens »

Interesting. I've got some likes and some dislikes.

Very much like that there will be another place to shoot in town. Even if I never have the chance to use the place, it expands the places where people can shoot. That's so many kinds of GOOD, I can't keep track. Very, very happy about that. They also mention things like gun rental, gun sales, transfers and even consignment guns. Man, I love a case full of consignment guns. That alone will get me to make a visit. Another place for locals to do FFL transfers is a welcome thing, too, IMO.

First time I've ever seen it mentioned in any posting of rules or FAQ that folks who lose "specialty brass forward of the firing line" may be able to retrieve it with the assistance of staff. That's very cool. I'm sure a few places would help you in this regard depending on who is working and their mood, but I've never seen a place that actually takes a moment to spell it out. They mention this in a paragraph that encourages folks to claim their own brass if they wish. I also like this -- which (I'm sure most of us would agree) is how most ranges typically work, or we expect them to work, but I've certainly been to my share of places where some range nazi is dang near running you down with his huge brass squeegee, gathering up all your still warm and freshly ejected empties and doing it, of course, in the name of a tripping/falling hazard on the range floor. :roll:

The rules also mention specifically the banning of steel core, tracer/incendiary and the like, but it does NOT address cast lead bullets. It says they reserve the right to inspect and ammo that wasn't purchased there, but doesn't included cast lead with the prohibited ammo. This is encouraging... but were I a betting man, I'd say this was an oversight - or is likely to be changed in the future, or maybe it's just something they will deny at the counter. Indoor ranges that allow cast lead are going the way of the dodo bird.

On my list of "not so great", front and center is that it's an hourly rate system. Which I do understand, especially these days, but this setup truly keeps me away. I just don't care to shoot somewhere for 30 or 60 minutes. I'm the guy that brings one bagful of handguns and one tool box full of ammo. And sure, I realize that I'm -NOT- the guy that indoor ranges are looking for in a customer because I take up space for a long time...space they could be renting. But in my own little world (the one that revolves around me!), I see 90% of the patrons pop in for one box of ammo and pop out, and very few folks that set up for a long session. And I make it part of my routine to buy things I want from the place after my shooting, even though I might find it cheaper elsewhere. I like to patronize the store of places where I shoot...always have. I also direct other people to shoot there, and I come back a few times a year. None of which I'm likely to do if I can't justify the $60 to $80 it would literally cost me in range fees for one day of the kind of shooting I enjoy. :(

They show on the website that gun rental will be $10 -- but they also spell out in plain language that nobody who arrives by themselves without another guest with them will be allowed to rent a handgun. :?: :o Can anyone conjure up another reason for this rule? Because the only one that occurs to me is that this is some kind of preemptive rule to (hopefully?) keep the suicidal from renting a gun and doing the deed on their range... as has (unfortunately) happened multiple times here in our city. :(

Their membership options don't impress me a whole lot. I harken back to a day when a membership made you a part of something...not just a discounted patron. With this place, you don't shoot for free with the exception of Tuesdays. Your membership gives you discounts on range time and discounts for family or guests. I can't get too bothered by this, I do understand the concept of a business. The membership also gives you small discounts on items in the store...but dangit, not on consignment items.

Allright, this post went on far too long. :oops: Sorry. Just my thoughts. And yeah, I'm already quite sure that they built the place for business, not to cater to me, I just wanted to say my bit. :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Hey bonus points for LEPD: they have a clickable link showing their rental fleet. Niiiiice for the folks who chase down specifics to rent.

Just don't forget to bring a buddy if you want to be allowed to rent one! :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I am very excited about this place. I'm not crazy about the prices either but the convenience factor alone may make it worth getting a membership. I used to have a Blackwing membership but it was just too inconvenient to try and get out there on a tuesday for the members only range time to make it worth it for me. I also shop at Microcenter which is almost next door so my wife probably will not be happy with me with all that temptation to spend money in one place. :)

I figure this place will be very busy. With all the panic gun buying going on, people will need someplace to shoot. :)
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

I'm just hoping that it will take some of the load out of new Albany's range myself.

I'm in general very uninterested. The membership options aren't very good (not that any places are these days) and I don't like the hourly rate. I also highly doubt that their gun sales could get me a better price than Vance's (which is closer to me then their location) and I can already get transfer fees of less than $30 as well, I'd hate to know what their non member transfer fees are.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
BobK

Post by BobK »

Hmm, 2.5 miles from my old home. Wish it had been around back then. Heck of a lot closer than Powder Room.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
BornLib

Post by BornLib »

Sevens wrote:They show on the website that gun rental will be $10 -- but they also spell out in plain language that nobody who arrives by themselves without another guest with them will be allowed to rent a handgun. :?: :o Can anyone conjure up another reason for this rule? Because the only one that occurs to me is that this is some kind of preemptive rule to (hopefully?) keep the suicidal from renting a gun and doing the deed on their range... as has (unfortunately) happened multiple times here in our city. :(
That is the reason Blackwing has the same rule about not renting to people who come alone, with the caveat that if you bring at least one firearm that you own you can rent by yourself. Makes sense, you won't rent a gun to commit suicide with if you already own a gun. I haven't been there in a while but I assume this rule is still in place.
BornLib's Blog - Life, Liberty, and the Firearms that protect them both

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."
-- Mark Twain
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I'm very excited because this place is right down the road from me.

Now if only I was willing to part with any of my ammo hoard.
Required reading for newbies: DO NOT CALL AHEAD. EVER.

"If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous."- Will Durant

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, and The Second Amendment Foundation
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I live 2 miles down the street from this place. Will be interested to see what it is like once open.
JedCooper

Post by JedCooper »

You can shoot steel cased ammo! Hallelujah!
Mikado613

Post by Mikado613 »

I am also excited to see this place is opening soon. It's about two miles from me. Right now if I want to shoot I have to drive to New Albany or some place else way out of town. That means I sort of need to plan my day around target practice. With this place being so close, I can stop by after work or even on a whim and fire off a box or two.
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Had a nice chat with one of the owners today, seems like a good guy, and they are planning to be open within a week. Not everyrhing they wanted to do will be immediate upon opening, but sounds a if things will progress as they go along, including FA rental
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Mikado613 wrote:I am also excited to see this place is opening soon. It's about two miles from me. Right now if I want to shoot I have to drive to New Albany or some place else way out of town. That means I sort of need to plan my day around target practice. With this place being so close, I can stop by after work or even on a whim and fire off a box or two.

Practice at the range, dinner at Refectory, it's a win/win
Required reading for newbies: DO NOT CALL AHEAD. EVER.

"If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous."- Will Durant

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, and The Second Amendment Foundation