NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jabeatty

Re: NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Post by jabeatty »

Michael0317 wrote:I would like to see the form 4473 requirement go away for a CHL holder, like some states already do.
The feds require an FBI background check for initial licensure and every renewal in exchange for this privilege.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

jabeatty wrote:
Michael0317 wrote:I would like to see the form 4473 requirement go away for a CHL holder, like some states already do.
The feds require an FBI background check for initial licensure and every renewal in exchange for this privilege.
So make an FBI check mandatory to get a CHL. As for the cost, I have always wondered if the FBI charges anything or if the sheriff's just want the extra money because it takes 2 seconds to read "NO RECORD" on an FBI return.

I amazed someone the other day on Facebook that it was harder to get a CHL than a firearm from an FFL. The CHL check is harder and more thorough than just a name run over the phone through an FFL.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JediSkipdogg wrote:So make an FBI check mandatory to get a CHL. As for the cost, I have always wondered if the FBI charges anything or if the sheriff's just want the extra money because it takes 2 seconds to read "NO RECORD" on an FBI return.
This would also give us license recognition by at least two other decent states.
ohgary

Post by ohgary »

WestonDon wrote:We do not want to weaken property rights at all. We may have our own battle over property rights coming soon.
Dont take it on as a property issue. take it on as as an employment issue. No rules that stop someone from exercising there rights? Use the correct legal mumbo jumbo.

I have no issue with my employer telling me what I can or cant do in there property, but in my car (even on there property) is another matter.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

ohgary wrote:
WestonDon wrote:We do not want to weaken property rights at all. We may have our own battle over property rights coming soon.
Dont take it on as a property issue. take it on as as an employment issue. No rules that stop someone from exercising there rights? Use the correct legal mumbo jumbo.

I have no issue with my employer telling me what I can or cant do in there property, but in my car (even on there property) is another matter.
In Ohio, without a signed employment contract, and/or protected class status, employers enjoy employment at will ( a Term of Art.) Please believe your employer may terminate your employment: if said employer does not permit any activity in which you may engage, while in your vehicle, while said vehicle is parked on your employer's property.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Tweed Ring wrote:In Ohio, without a signed employment contract, and/or protected class status, employers enjoy employment at will ( a Term of Art.) Please believe your employer may terminate your employment
Exactly. I've always felt that special protections like this are worthless in a right to hire state. So I can't fire you for having a gun in your car. Fair enough. Nothing says I can't sack you a month later for no reason at all.

Trust me if you aren't part of a bargaining unit and management finds out you're doing something they don't like they'll fire at the first opportunity. The dumb employers will try to rationalize it and come up with some other unprotected basis to fire you. The smart ones will say nothing other than telling you that your services are no longer required.

Since we're talking about 2013-14 laws personally I'd favor chipping away at the enumerated CPZs.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

djthomas wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:In Ohio, without a signed employment contract, and/or protected class status, employers enjoy employment at will ( a Term of Art.) Please believe your employer may terminate your employment
Exactly. I've always felt that special protections like this are worthless in a right to hire state. So I can't fire you for having a gun in your car. Fair enough. Nothing says I can't sack you a month later for no reason at all.

Trust me if you aren't part of a bargaining unit and management finds out you're doing something they don't like they'll fire at the first opportunity. The dumb employers will try to rationalize it and come up with some other unprotected basis to fire you. The smart ones will say nothing other than telling you that your services are no longer required.

Since we're talking about 2013-14 laws personally I'd favor chipping away at the enumerated CPZs.
That's why I've always thought it's pointless. If those in a union want it for protection they can ask for it in their contract, no state law needed. Those without a union, it's just a symbolic law that has no teeth to it. 5 minutes late? Goodbye. Come into work while sick. Goodbye. Being an at-will employment state you don't need a reason at all. So they find a gun in your car they can still fire you. Then you have to prove they fired you because of the gun and they will just say it's for some other reason and all the employee ends up with is a {inappropriate language} off employer and huge court expenses.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Tweed Ring wrote:In Ohio, without a signed employment contract, and/or protected class status, employers enjoy employment at will ( a Term of Art.) Please believe your employer may terminate your employment: if said employer does not permit any activity in which you may engage, while in your vehicle, while said vehicle is parked on your employer's property.
So where is the line drawn? Obviously they can fire you if you refuse to allow a search of your car. What about the next step where they prohibit you from owning firearms period? They demand the right to search your home if you want to stay employed. They fire you for belonging to the NRA (you must be one of those "extremist gun nut terrorists") or for having a CHL. Or maybe they fire you for not supporting Obama.

Where does the line get drawn?
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

OhioPaints wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:In Ohio, without a signed employment contract, and/or protected class status, employers enjoy employment at will ( a Term of Art.) Please believe your employer may terminate your employment: if said employer does not permit any activity in which you may engage, while in your vehicle, while said vehicle is parked on your employer's property.
So where is the line drawn? Obviously they can fire you if you refuse to allow a search of your car. What about the next step where they prohibit you from owning firearms period? They demand the right to search your home if you want to stay employed. They fire you for belonging to the NRA (you must be one of those "extremist gun nut terrorists") or for having a CHL. Or maybe they fire you for not supporting Obama.

I think we will find the line wont be drawn. I was fired from a place once because I refused to convert to be a newborn christian. The entire upper management was newborn christian ministers. The written down reason was: I refused to relocate to Pittsburgh. (chuckles they asked what religion I practiced and despite being a confirmed catholic I said I was a Druid.) :P
Life without music is a mistake.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

djthomas wrote:

This is my favorite. "I am no longer satisfied with your level of performance." Employee...gone.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

OhioPaints wrote:

In an employment at will state, e.g. Ohio, the line is drawn where each employer chooses to draw said line. The terminated employee has the option of filing a civil action.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

The proper answer to employment issues of this sort used to involve employee initiative: starting one's own business, for example, or finding employment someplace where freedom is celebrated - maybe even organizing a boycott of the misguided employer.

Today we just get in line with the others and beg for government oversight.
Last edited by jabeatty on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Enhancing one's rights at the expense of another's rights is not the answer and can come back to bite us.

The conflict as I see it is that an employer by banning guns impacts an employees right to carry off the employers premises as a practical matter.

So how to resolve that conflict? The reality of the situation is that it will never be 100% resolved. There are several things that can be done to improve the situation.

Reduce the number of statutory CPZ's in an effort to normalize carrying firearms and to make no carry zones the exception rather than the rule.

Remove the part of the CC law that gives immunity from liability to businesses regardless of their position on CC. There are enough laws regarding liability issues already. Firearms should not be singled out for special treastment.

Education. Perhaps an educational program sponsored by the NRA or some other pro 2A group taylored specifically for the legal profession and HR professionals would be benificial.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

jabeatty wrote:The proper answer to employment issues of this sort used to involve employee initiative: starting one's own business, for example, or finding employment someplace where freedom is celebrated - maybe even organizing a boycott of the misguided employer.

Today we just get in line with the others and beg for government oversight.
Whenever I had to deal with mediocre employees whining about the work rules, I would suggest they walk out the front door. I would tell them: look to the right; look to the left; look up; and, finally, look down. Realize it's a big, wonderful world out there. If you don't like working under my rules, then don't let that door strike you in the posterior, as you go to find gainful employment elsewhere.

Never had anyone take me up on my suggestion...
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Eliminate the criminal nature of no gun signs would be excellent. Private property rights don't trump the right to defend myself.

EDIT: I would like to hear from those who disagree why they feel that because someone owns a piece of land that it gives them the right to strip me of my god given right to self defense. ?
-Aaron