NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Post by rickt »

As I said in another thread:

"Notwithstanding the Republican dominance of the Ohio General Assembly, I don't expect to see any pro-gun bills passed in 2013. The political atmosphere has become so poisonous since the Newtown massacre that I think the legislators are going to want to keep their heads down for a while and defer any pro-gun legislation."

There is one thing that could possibly be passed in 2013 and that is adding some teeth to 9.68. I haven't been able to think any spin the cities and the news media could inject to oppose that. What are they going to say, "Hey, we want to continue to enforce our illegal laws"?
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Werz wrote:
OhioPaints wrote:... my car is MY property and no one has the right to search it, no matter where it is, without a court ordered search warrant?
Where did you get that idea?
It was a proposal, a way to include those who want to respect property rights while also respecting our right to privacy.
The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

I like this... take some of the teeth out of local knife laws.... :)
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Let's pass something that says Ohio won't abide by any federal gun bans or new stupid/foolish laws.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

OhioPaints wrote:Okay, you guys that want to champion "property rights", how about we support property rights: my car is MY property and no one has the right to search it, no matter where it is, without a court ordered search warrant?
curmudgeon3 wrote:Let's try sea to sea state CHL reciprocity again, just like driver's and vehicle licenses.
I'm not sure if you are asking for federal legislation (which driver's and vehicles licenses are not) or just broader reciprocity.
Fine, as long as you remember Ohio has employment at will, and at a minimum, I'll fire you (if you are not a member of any protected class) and you refuse my request to look inside the vehicle.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Tweed Ring wrote:Fine, as long as you remember Ohio has employment at will, and at a minimum, I'll fire you (if you are not a member of any protected class) and you refuse my request to look inside the vehicle.
So, Ohio being an "employment at will" state, if a company says "as a condition of employment, we have the right to install video cameras in all rooms of your house, if you object, you will be fired". Or just to make it more simple: "as an employee, you allow us to look inside your home any time we see fit"? Those would be okay with you too?

Ken
The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

No, just what I had previously said - you are arguing to the absurd.

If an e/e parks a vehicle on the e/r's property, then I, as the employer, can ask the e/e to allow me to look inside said vehicle. But, if the e/e refuses, then I shall immediately terminate that person's employment. Immediately. I'll take any lawsuit to make an example of this employee.

I may also contact the police if I believe the e/e has been involved in theft.

The world is not how people want it to be - but how it actually exists.

Anything is possible if one has little or no knowledge about what one is talking about.
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

Taking away the power of no gun signs. i.e. not a criminal matter.
+1

and +1 on getting rid of notify.
:)
Life without music is a mistake.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

rickt wrote:As I said in another thread:

"Notwithstanding the Republican dominance of the Ohio General Assembly, I don't expect to see any pro-gun bills passed in 2013. The political atmosphere has become so poisonous since the Newtown massacre that I think the legislators are going to want to keep their heads down for a while and defer any pro-gun legislation."

There is one thing that could possibly be passed in 2013 and that is adding some teeth to 9.68. I haven't been able to think any spin the cities and the news media could inject to oppose that. What are they going to say, "Hey, we want to continue to enforce our illegal laws"?
It's already happening. Apparently emboldened by the current anti-gun frenzy, the Cleveland Police Chief is already complaining about their inability to enforce city gun ordinances which were clearly displaced by R.C. 9.68 under the ruling of the Ohio Supreme Court in Cleveland v. State, 128 Ohio St.3d 135, 2010-Ohio-6318. He knows that those ordinances have no force, and the city knows that, too, but he now sees an opportunity to attack that statute.

To the contrary, I foresee a concerted attempt to repeal (or at least weaken) R.C. 9.68. With the current composition of the Ohio General Assembly, I don't see that effort going very far, but neither do I see that statute being significantly expanded.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Same thing I opined about the Feinstein proposal. They don't have the votes.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I'd like to see notification go, but more important for me personally is the right to carry my gun(s) in my car no matter where it is. If an employer wants to restrict employees why can't they ban bibles in cars, or bumper stickers, or certain types of music. It's just plain discrimination. If a business wants to control employees and customers like that they can move to Saudi Arabia or England.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Atilla wrote:I'd like to see notification go, but more important for me personally is the right to carry my gun(s) in my car no matter where it is. If an employer wants to restrict employees why can't they ban bibles in cars, or bumper stickers, or certain types of music. It's just plain discrimination. If a business wants to control employees and customers like that they can move to Saudi Arabia or England.
I think the courts have upheld reasonable restrictions regarding what items an employee can bring onto the employer's property, either afoot or by vehicle.

The word "discrimination" is a Term of Art, and as those who hold an Ohio CHL are not protected class members by virtue of holding said license, it is simply not valid in this argument.

Employers act to control the actions, speech, etc. of employees all the time. Look at any employee rule book, or standards of conduct.
We had a forum member, hereon, who lost a job due to an utterance in a workplace.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

If you remove the criminal part of the CPZ, I think it would help, but I would also like to see the immunity from liability removed for a person that posts their property. Since it is their right to keep weapons off their property, I think they should be responsible for the safety of their customers/employees. This would not be a leap from current law, as if someone falls on your property there is a good chance you will be liable.

I would also like to see the CPZ sign defined like Texas. I can just see an anti-gun person arguing that the sign will be "too visible". :wink:
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

jabeatty wrote:"Parking lot protection" laws are just a way of getting "conservatives" to sign on to the idea that government has the right to dictate which privileges can be included in an employment arrangement. Once you sign on to that line of thinking, what possible argument can you have in the future when those privileges are reversed, and firearms are prohibited in *every* employee parking lot?
^^EXACTLY^^
How many people actually need a law to keep from getting fired?

Someone should create a poll about what laws we want to see.
Seems like the last one I remember had Restaurant carry and employer parking lots as the top two.
Wonder what would be the top two now.

I would like to see some form of Constitutional carry, or reciprocity reform, like what got stripped out of HB 495 last year.
Senator Seitz (sp?) said they were going to revamp the whole reciprocity deal this session when they took it out of the bill last session, and he made it sound like it would be even bigger and better. I'd like that.

We have two years of republican rule ahead of us. There is no reason we can't seriously advance our cause.
Unless they go all RINO on us, and I don't think that is gonna happen.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

How about: in any government building where open carry is now (in theory) legal, we extend those places to include legal concealed carry? Be even better if we could get 'off-limits' status taken away from all government buildings save detention facilities and (perhaps) courtrooms.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.