Uncertainty and Training Plans for 2013?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DaveT

Uncertainty and Training Plans for 2013?

Post by DaveT »

Hi all - just wondering what others are looking at for training in 2013?

I didn't get to do any formal training in 2012, mainly not able to shake loose enough fun money and time to do it.

I have been HOPING to do more in 2013 - first plan was an Appleseed shoot, since I did get a 10/22 and all the extras to build a Liberty Training Rifle. I came very close to signing up for the SouthNarc ECQC class that was held in Pittsburgh last October, but couldn't quite make it work out...I'm still kicking myself for missing that one.

But, with the various bad news lately and the apparently completely emptied shelves, I'm trying to set goals and priorities for the year...not sure what direction to go. I still think the Appleseed will be one of the best bang for the buck propositions, but I'm trying to figure out what else makes sense this year. I had been considering a revisit to TDI (I went back in 2006) - but when I checked out their schedule last week, Handgun I-III is booked solid until OCTOBER!

Southnarc has a partial schedule up, but nothing within reasonable driving distance yet...I'm really hoping he's going back to Pittsburgh this year, or perhaps somewhere even closer. Southnarc's ECQC is probably my ideal class right now - his training deals with a lot of worst-case-scenario personal protection issues. What to look for as a perp sizes you up for a possible attack, hand-to-hand skills for dealing with an attack, how to keep control of your firearm in the midst of a struggle, when and how to draw so the gun won't be taken away from you, live-fire drills to practice the shooting skills, and Simunitions gun usage while practicing dealing with someone attacking you. Looks to cover all the realistic bases that someone would face if they were really attacked on the street.

Other closer-to-home options aren't yet showing their schedules for the year. I'm keeping an eye out for Commence Firearms - took Advanced Handgun I back in 2006 or so as well, and I'd be interested to see what they have in store this year, too...also a new one (to me) I heard of here on OFCC - Weyer Tactical, based in Alliance. I had actually taken a course with one of their trainers years ago (before Weyer Tactical was up and running), and based on that I'd be prepared to look to them. I emailed and got a personal response back, saying they'll have their schedule posted when the weather breaks this spring. Another option would be Three Tango's Force-on-Force class - I seem to keep missing this class - either having myself not be available, or I'll be available and a class will be canceled due to not enough students.

So, tentatively, my plans are for an Appleseed to work on basic rifle skills. I also want to get some flavor of intermediate pistol class in to maintain/improve. As much as some of my instincts are shouting "buy and hold," I think spending time, money and ammo on handgun skills is the most important/practical training expenditure for me in the coming year. Icing on the cake would be a rifle/carbine class, but I don't know if that would be in the cards (or be affordable just for the sake of the ammo alone).

So, what are everyone else's plans/priorities/wish lists for training in 2013? Who do you want to train with, what do you want to learn, what are you focusing on?
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Uncertainty and Training Plans for 2013?

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

HG 4-5 and tac rifle at TDI are booked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Fun n Gun is obviously on the list. Although that's more "practice" than training. I might go for TDI hand gun 1-3 in the fall, but i haven't come to a decision yet.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

SouthNarc will be in Cleveland this Summer. A buddy of mine will be the one hosting him. Send me a message and I'll link you the details.
-Erik
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

The Polite Society Conference
TDI partner tactics
TDI handgun 4,5, and 6 all scheduled for 2013
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.