digital voice recorder or cell phone app?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tdeal823

digital voice recorder or cell phone app?

Post by tdeal823 »

What are you using for voice recording?
What do you like about it?
What features do you wish it had?
What do you dislike about it?

Hope this is not a redundant question , but could not find any good answers with my search.
Thanks
Tony
Bianchi?

Re: digital voice recorder or cell phone app?

Post by Bianchi? »

I use a dedicated recorder. It's faster to activate than a cell phone, and has much better battery life and audio quality than a cell phone. It is a bit easier to deactivate than a cell phone recorder, however.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Easy Voice Recorder on my Droid X. Works pretty well in my pocket. I have no trouble recording any time I'm away from home, and keep it charged when at home.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

I have both a digital recorder and the built inrecorder in my HTC Thunderbolt.

I have to agree that the dedicated recorder is easier and quicker to activate and the pickup quality is much better. (For example, my digital recorder will still clearly pick up a conversation while still in my pocket whereas my phone will mostly pick up ruffled pocket lint)

The phone however, is always on a clip on my side at all times and I have it saved on my front home screen so it is as fast as possible to activate.

In the end, I much prefer a dedicated recorder but due to convenience I do end up using my phone's recorder the majority of the time.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
RichN

Post by RichN »

I have downloaded three free apps for my Windows 8 phone, which I have had for less than a week. They are all very quick to activate. I am in the process of evaluating the recording quality of each of them. If none of them work out, I will probably look at the paid apps.

I really don't want another piece of equipment to carry.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
RebelHell

Post by RebelHell »

In my experience the recording quality is not going to be affected by how much you paid for the app. It really comes down to microphone quality on the phone. If the free apps don't do it for you I'd throw in the towel before you waste money on a paid app.
Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium
farblue

Post by farblue »

I quit carrying a separate digital recorder when I got my smart phone, but like some others, I like the simplicity of the recorder. Click and start recording.

With my phone, it's wake it up, enter the unlock code, browse to the app, start the app, lock the phone.

Although the recorder on the phone may be more discreet, it's just too much fumbling about - which I really don't want to be doing if I get pulled over.

Either that or just keep the recorder running full time when I'm out and about, and delete the HUGE file at the end of every day...?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
SC-JG

Post by SC-JG »

I have a little tiny mp3 player with a voice recorder built-in. I find it easier to use than an app on my droid3. The battery lasts forever, it has an expandable memory via a micro SD card and a built-in clip. (currently on sale at best buy for $27)

...peace out
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

parbreaker wrote:I have both a digital recorder and the built inrecorder in my HTC Thunderbolt.
Likewise.

I use both my Samsung Android and a very small Sansa MP3 player. The MP3 player has a MUCH longer battery life and an EXCELLENT microphone.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
alan93

Post by alan93 »

freeconferncecalling.com

add the code at the end of the phone number to activate recording when dialed.

Turn on speaker phone.

even if phone is confiscated, recording remains online.
tdeal823

Post by tdeal823 »

That mini MP3 is a great idea!
SC-JG

Post by SC-JG »

tdeal823 wrote:That mini MP3 is a great idea!
Sandisk Sansa Clip ZIP is the one that I have- great little mic and works quite well. Built-in clip makes it really handy.
...peace out
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I use Easy Voice Recorder on my cell phone. It's a free app and I have it set to record to the phone in case my memory card mysteriously disappears. The mic on my phone picks up conversations well from my pocket when I tested it out and I have a quick launch widget to start recording with 1 press.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

SC-JG wrote:
tdeal823 wrote:That mini MP3 is a great idea!
Sandisk Sansa Clip ZIP is the one that I have- great little mic and works quite well. Built-in clip makes it really handy.
The Sansas tend to have excellent recording quality. Mine records quite clearly even over street noise, even in the change pocket of my jeans.

The nice thing about an MP3 player is that, especially if you have headphones or earbuds attached, it doesn't draw attention to itself as a recorder.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
High Power

Post by High Power »

I have the http://www.freeconferencecalling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; phone number set up on my speed dial on the smart phone. If you do this, have the account numbers set up on the speed dial set-up as well.

The problem with carrying a dedicated voice recorder is that; if you are arrested a crooked LEO will take your possessions when you are booked and jailed. The voice recorder will probably disappear if it is left in the hands of a crooked LEO.

When you are released and discover that your voice recorder is missing you’ll get the “what voice recorder?” reply. “You didn’t have a voice recorder when we booked you.”

With a web based recording system they can still throw away your cell phone and the recording will still be available.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein