Good advanced training in NE Ohio?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Quack

Re: Good advanced training in NE Ohio?

Post by Quack »

TSiWRX wrote:
brian0918 wrote:I ended up taking Three Tango's Defensive Pistol 1 course today. It was pretty rainy all morning but cleared up for the afternoon. I think we all had a great time. Bill and the other instructors were all very helpful, and the time went by pretty fast, though I felt exhausted by the end of it.
Hey, at least you didn't almost pass out in the middle of class. :lol:

I thought about you guys today - and thought what a great day it would have been to shoot...alas, my daughter's school/social and our family schedule is pretty tight for the month. I couldn't make CFA's class tomorrow, either, for the same reasons.

I truly believe that the physical/mental exhaustion is something that you get from getting fed from a fire-hose. It's one of the reasons why I like to repeat classes. There's no way my brain can process everything that's taught in those few hours.
The one thing I regret doing was changing my Glock 26's sights the night before. I put new XS Big Dot nightsights on (previously using factory Glock sights), but for some reason my aim was way off the whole time. It was only later that I found out that my rear sight had come loose, and could freely slide left and right. :roll:

On the bright side, when I retrain with them, they'll think my aim has vastly improved. :D
^ :lol:

Quack shot Costa's HE01 with a gun that he'd also just put new rear sights on and had not really gotten a feel for. It took him a couple of evolutions before he got back on it. :) You guys who bring new equipment to classes, you are definitely more brave than I am! :)
it just took the first 3 groups of shots before i settled in and it was just the start of 3 days. I also switched to my other gun for a few evolutions w/o any issue before I let the lady use it for the remainder of class. I was tempted to run the M&P because everyone else was and wanted a challenge of a sub-par (for my collection) gun. :lol:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Quack wrote: it just took the first 3 groups of shots before i settled in and it was just the start of 3 days.
I thought it only took you until the second evolution before you got dialed in? I'm giving you too much credit. :lol:

Hey, at least you got corrected faster than Shane did, when he took the Vogel course with me. He tried using Vogel's inboard roll technique, and it literally took him almost all morning before he got back on it. Don't get me wrong, I really admire him for sticking through it.
I also switched to my other gun for a few evolutions w/o any issue before I let the lady use it for the remainder of class.
G's wife, right? She was {inappropriate language} at G that she couldn't come to HE02. :lol: I was just trying to stay away from the temptation of that Tactical. I'm not ready for it.
I was tempted to run the M&P because everyone else was and wanted a challenge of a sub-par (for my collection) gun. :lol:
^ Yeah, maybe you would've actually gotten in a few *actual* stoppage reductions, then. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Quack

Post by Quack »

well the 2nd i was pretty dialed in, it was the 3rd when i was shooting really small groups and Costa said "You know what you are doing? Your taking away my reason to make fun of you." :lol:

Yep, G's wife.

If i did use the M&P, i think i've only shot that one once since i traded for it, so that would've been real fun.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Quack wrote:well the 2nd i was pretty dialed in, it was the 3rd when i was shooting really small groups and Costa said "You know what you are doing? Your taking away my reason to make fun of you." :lol:
Oh, that's RIGHT! I remember that!

When did he fondle your trigger? It was before lunch, I remember that.....
If i did use the M&P, i think i've only shot that one once since i traded for it, so that would've been real fun.
^ You shoulda used one of my XDms. :lol:
Quack

Post by Quack »

he fondled the 2011 after the 1st (maybe 2nd) evo and said something like "you have expensive gun and a guy with a Glock is out shooting you." then he also said my trigger was a Ferrari compared to his stock STI trigger.

BTW, i'm loosening up one of my VMII holsters to carry the JH 2011 :mrgreen:

the XDm would've been OK until a malfunction was involved, then i might have been screwed by forgetting to hold the grip safety to rack the slide. :lol:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Quack wrote:he fondled the 2011 after the 1st (maybe 2nd) evo and said something like "you have expensive gun and a guy with a Glock is out shooting you." then he also said my trigger was a Ferrari compared to his stock STI trigger.
Wow, it was that early-on?! :shock:
BTW, i'm loosening up one of my VMII holsters to carry the JH 2011 :mrgreen:
FTW.
the XDm would've been OK until a malfunction was involved, then i might have been screwed by forgetting to hold the grip safety to rack the slide. :lol:
Or like Costa said, just chuck the thing. :P :lol:

He was a trip. He never stopped giving me crap all week for the XDm, but he definitely did not treat me as any less of a student due to it.

You woulda loved being there on the last day of HE02 - there was an evolution for which I had some trouble choreographing my arms/legs in terms of ground movement (not surprising, since I can't dance!), and I was the last person to get up from the ground. The Beard walked over and said: "Dayum, Panda! Like, Godzilla would *definitely* have eaten your butt for lunch!" :lol: :lol:
Quack

Post by Quack »

it was a fun experience, especially having fun while training. What was on the Magpul videos was the serious instruction side, but the downtime when we were filling magazines or eating lunch was great.

I wish I would've known that he was going to let me in HE02 even though the class was booked. Hope he comes back next year, I'd definitely take the class.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Quack wrote:it was a fun experience, especially having fun while training. What was on the Magpul videos was the serious instruction side, but the downtime when we were filling magazines or eating lunch was great.
It's really one of the reasons I don't load with the loader (much) anymore. It's more fun to sit and chat.

With how often I had to go pee, though, I was stuffing the mags as fast as I could! :lol:
I wish I would've known that he was going to let me in HE02 even though the class was booked.
I don't think you believed me, when I told you he offered! :P :lol:
Hope he comes back next year, I'd definitely take the class.

+1. I definitely want to repeat HE02. I've never run the gun that hard, on my support/reaction side. It really was eye-opening as to what methods worked, and how having a teacher who really minded things like that can really open your eyes. Heck, if I have the budget/time, I want to repeat HE01, too.
Quack

Post by Quack »

I believed you, its I had to work.
skifast

Post by skifast »

Anyone looking for advanced training should check out ATG Worldwide, atgworldwide.us I have taken the carbine, handgun, and hand to hand courses. They are top notch.

ATG is owned and operated by a US Navy SEAL with 18 years experience on the teams. Training with someone that has been there and done that is an outstanding opportunity. The best thing about the training is that it pushes the student, but not past their physical capabilities.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I will definitely give them a try. :) Thanks! It's a little far from my usual, but definitely still within the geographic area.

Also, Quack and I are going to be taking a look at Safety Solutions Academy (a Combat Focus Shooting methodology) school, which is also located in Cleveland-metro, in the very near future.
Quack

Post by Quack »

TSiWRX wrote:Also, Quack and I are going to be taking a look at Safety Solutions Academy (a Combat Focus Shooting methodology) school, which is also located in Cleveland-metro, in the very near future.
you're welcome for that one and does that mean you're going to use the STI? :twisted:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Heck no! No STI for me! :D One of these days, yes, but not yet!

And hey, didn't I already thank you about a dozen times? :P :lol:
Quack

Post by Quack »

You run the STI and I'll run a polymer. Heck if I had the gear I'd run the GP100
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Flippin' awesome! 8) :D Dude, run my M&P 340 from ankle holster? :twisted:

Nah, you know me. :) I'm not the type to tackle things that I'm not ready for. One of the reasons why I didn't shoot Costa's HE02 from-concealment was because I didn't think I'd be ready for it - that I'd waste more energy dealing with my concealment gear than I'd have liked in terms of facilitating my actually learning the material.

I'm a realist. I'm just not ready for the 1911/2011 platform, yet.