CHL renewal 2013

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Big Boomer

CHL renewal 2013

Post by Big Boomer »

Can someone verify what the 2nd CHL renewal requirements will be in 2013. It is my understanding that all that is required is a compentency certification by a certified instructor, if this is true what documentation must be provided by the instructor to satisfy the requirement.

thanks
rexles

Re: CHL renewal 2013

Post by rexles »

Boomer;
Here is a link to a thread on this site that may help a little. Sounds like no one is sure yet. http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rex
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

At this point on your second renewal you have to undergo a competency recertification. This can be given by any NRA Certified Instructor. Typically what they will have you do is go through a similar course of fire that you did for your initial certification and then give you a certificate showing you went through a competency course. Hopefully this will all change soon.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Does each Instructor make up his own "Recertification Certificate"?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Cruiser wrote:Does each Instructor make up his own "Recertification Certificate"?
Yup. No difference than what we currently have. The only "standard" certificate is if one teaches 100% by the NRA course. Remember, one is not required to teach the 12 hour course by that outline. Therefore any OPOTA only instructors or any NRA that don't teach by the NRA guidelines are required to make their own certificates.

I would say the certificate should look professional, have the person's instructor number, and contain the ORC that it meets the competency certificate.

I'm still holding back on offering a course for this crossing my fingers that BFA can push the legislature on their HB495 and get it passed by the end of this year. We unfortunately won't know till after the election when they meet again (the meet two days in Sept but I doubt anything will happen then.)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Big Boomer

Post by Big Boomer »

Thanks guys...appreciate the info. It will be interesting to see of the AG comes out with anything more difinitive before the end of the year.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

ATGglobal wrote:At this point on your second renewal you have to undergo a competency recertification. This can be given by any NRA Certified Instructor. Typically what they will have you do is go through a similar course of fire that you did for your initial certification and then give you a certificate showing you went through a competency course. Hopefully this will all change soon.

Not entirely correct, the instructor must also offer a complete course that meets the Ohio CHL training guidelines.
2923.125(G)(4)If the person previously has received a competency certification or previously has received a renewed competency certification, the person may obtain a renewed competency certification from an entity that offers a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section by passing a test that demonstrates that the person is range competent. In these circumstances, the person is not required to attend the course, class, or program or to take the competency examination described in division (G)(2) of this section for the renewed competency certification in order to be eligible to receive a renewed competency certification. A renewed competency certification issued under this division shall be dated and shall attest that the person has demonstrated range competency.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.