Steel target safe shooting distance.....

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Steel target safe shooting distance.....

Post by TSiWRX »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wHu7YsKrho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ I really liked that video.

In each of my last two classes, we had shooters using 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, as well as the .45 ACP shooting various steel, as well as many observers (other shooters awaiting their turn, numbering between a dozen to well over 25), all relatively close-in.

I haven't shot that long, but Brian D.'s and Gaspode's recommendations mesh well with what I've experienced.

And as Klingon00 and Brian D. both have highlighted, be conscious about your eye protection. This is where that Rob Pincus/PDN video I cited above comes into play.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

Hickok's probably one of the most popular shooters on youtube and he does have a FAQ video about the steel targets he uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vII78jjSYtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a couple other videos where he tours his range and gives approximate distances that he shoots from too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVEMtiZ-HT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Axess Denyd

Post by Axess Denyd »

Of course, it can vary for bigger calibers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cogito ergo armatum sum -- I think, therefore I am armed.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

I shoot steel plate at my club with 45, 9, 40 handgun. We have to set these up our selves each time. they are not solidly fixed but swing on a pivot type bracket set on a steel stand, thus straight up down by nature of gravity, but can deflect down or up depending on where force is applied.

examining the spoils of what comes from it- flat, very thin metal discs smaller than nickles, and small pieces of copper, I would say that bodily risk is minimal-- unless you are on a blood thinner. Personally, i would have no qualms of standing within 15-20 ft radius with good eye protection. Cuts yes, maybe, but beyond that very unlikely.

I've seen these things draw blood
, but very unlikely to have penetration of any significance. Wear good eye protection. Any clothing (sleeves, pants) will further limit injury.

Even during steel plate matches, we are standing only about 20 ft from the same plates.

At TDI, i think we were coming within 15 ft. during moving drills-- but these were bolted with a 45 degree downward slant to make the slag hit ground, even then we could hear pieces hit the 15 ft high tin roof some 50 ft away.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

I use AR500 Steel since I shoot my plates with handguns, rifles, and my muzzleloading match rifles. For the handguns I will shoot up to 15 feet away. My AR-15 I keep shots at 50 yards+, and the .308 I keep my shots to no closer than 100 yards. My silhouettes are bolted to pressure treated 4X4s put in the ground, and angled so the bullet fragments are directed at the ground. I haven't had any problems with frags coming back at me off of my targets, and they are still in good shape at 2 years of age. If I start seeing dimples I'll just turn them around and use the other side. I always wear eye protection that also covers the sides when shooting steel. I don't want to have vision problems or even lose an eye.

I like shooting steel especially when using my .45 caliber muzzleloaders. Nothing like hearing a 550 paper patched bullet smash against that steel. 8)
When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
.George Washington
MadMadWorld

Post by MadMadWorld »

Most competitions I have shot in require a minimum distance of 8 yards on steel and prefer a minimum of 10 yards. This is with pistol caliber cartridges. I have been hit many times with frag, most not breaking the skin, enough to be felt though. Some of it is new steel and some is old, doesn't matter. The biggest thing is making sure there are no craters and have the steel canted slightly down reduces the chances of frag coming back up range. However, side to side and going over berms is common, have seen car windows busted!

Be smart and be safe with all targets shot at.
CMcLeish
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CMcLeish »

I have 1" plate steel targets free-hanging from framing. Never had anything come back, then a friend was shooting her 22 revolver at one of my targets from about 10 yards and the other shooters near us reported the rounds were coming back hard and fast. I've also heard a lot of guys say that 22 LR rounds hitting a knot in a tree will come back hard and fast. The CCW instructor I had reported that steel bullets will come back pretty bad. I never knew of anyone to have steel bullets but he said it was some of the super-cheap Wolf brand imported stuff. If anyone brought Wolf ammo to the class he inspected all of it before they hit the range.
NRA Life Member
OFCC Patron Member
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

CMcLeish wrote:I have 1" plate steel targets free-hanging from framing. Never had anything come back, then a friend was shooting her 22 revolver at one of my targets from about 10 yards and the other shooters near us reported the rounds were coming back hard and fast. I've also heard a lot of guys say that 22 LR rounds hitting a knot in a tree will come back hard and fast. The CCW instructor I had reported that steel bullets will come back pretty bad. I never knew of anyone to have steel bullets but he said it was some of the super-cheap Wolf brand imported stuff. If anyone brought Wolf ammo to the class he inspected all of it before they hit the range.

The bullets broke up. Became flak and came back. I've had this happen with 9mm, 38spl and the like. From 15yds. Always wear eye protection.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.