FL man killed when LEOs knock at wrong house

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

FL man killed when LEOs knock at wrong house

Post by bignflnut »

More "safe guns" doing damage:
Sheriff deputies in Lake County, Florida are the focus of public outcry after they went to the wrong home to arrest an attempted murder suspect, did not announce they were officers, and then shot and killed Andrew Lee Scott, 26, when he pointed a gun at the strangers at his door.

Scott went to the door armed after he heard pounding on his door at 1:30 a.m. Since the officers did not identify themselves and Brown was not expecting someone at such an early hour, he clearly thought it was trouble. It was.
Local lawyer blog:
It is being reported that the police showed up at the man’s house at 1:30 am and knocked on the door. Some reports are already stating, like it is fact, that the cops did not identify themselves. Maybe that is protocol when searching houses at 1:30 am for murder suspects? We now know why it can present an issue.

The actual accused, was later caught…
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: FL man killed when LEOs knock at wrong house

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Did you see the 2 photo's of the wanted man and the home owner ?

How can you not recognize the person you were there to serve the warrant ?

Story's like this really {inappropriate language} me off.....If the Leos did not Identify themselves they should be prosecuted.....Wrong house wrong action by police...They created the problem, even though home owner had a gun,the police should be charged....This BS has got to stop.
A innocent man is dead because of these kind of actions..

One of the Supervisors said if you point a gun at a Leo you should expect to get shot....What a bunch of crap.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
DontTreadOnI

Post by DontTreadOnI »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Did you see the 2 photo's of the wanted man and the home owner ?

Article says he pointed a gun at them when he answered the door, so I'm assuming that's why they shot him...not because they thought he was the suspect they were looking for.

That being said, if someone pounds on my door at 1:30 in the morning I am also going to answer with a firearm. If it were police and they had clearly announced they were police I would not (quite as much) feel the need to be armed (although there are a lot of criminals posing as LEO at front doors these days). This is not the case here, and I agree, Carmen; if they didn't identify themselves as law he had every right to come to the door armed and they should be prosecuted.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I never had to wake in the A:M to a knock on the door.....But I hope I have enough sense to try and see who it is. I would not open the door....If I am not sure who it is I would look for cover, armed of course, call 911 and wait.....If who is ever at the door and they do not announce who they are then break the door down, that is when to take action in my opinion.
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

On two occasions I have had people knock on my door past midnight when I was in bed. Once it was a couple of my girlfriend's friends, and another time it was a neighbor in trouble.

Both times I had a pistol in my hand as I flipped on the outside porch light to see through the window who was at my door so late. Being a bit cautious late at night answering your own door shouldn't get you killed...

I agree, these LEO's need prosecuted for wrongful death.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

The door in the video I watched seemed quite "damaged". Almost as if a boot or 2 had been applied to it.

Headline should read "Local police perform armed home invasion and murder innocent man"

Because that is what happened.
Poop!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

But, but...if the cops knock on the door at 1:30AM and say that they are cops, aren't they escalating the risk to themselves that someone will shoot them? You want to tell the murder suspect that you have a warrant when you can't see the suspect? You're giving him a chance to slip out the back door, or out the window if he doesn't just engage you from the other side of the wall. Why not say that you're Aunt Betty, or better yet, just knock politely, and see if you can trick the guy?
Did they wake the judge at midnight to get the warrant? Why does this need to be done at 1:30AM? What happened to stakeouts? Then, perhaps, and I'm just whimsically spinning yarn, you could positively identify the suspect before arresting him.

Link
Deputies thought they were confronting Jonathan Brown, a man accused of attempted murder. Brown was spotted at the Blueberry Hills Apartment complex and his motorcycle was parked across from Andrew Scott's front door.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is handling the investigation of the shooting and the deputy who fired, as well as the two who were on the scene with him, are on administrative leave.
Video says cops found drugs inside Andrew's apartment (justification, anyone?)!
Take a vacation, boys!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I have drugs in my house also.....Doesn't everyone ? What does it matter...Why is it that someone with this kind of warrant out on him there are so few LEOS on the property ? And why not surround the house and light the house up ?
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

bignflnut wrote:But, but...if the cops knock on the door at 1:30AM and say that they are cops, aren't they escalating the risk to themselves that someone will shoot them? You want to tell the murder suspect that you have a warrant when you can't see the suspect? You're giving him a chance to slip out the back door, or out the window if he doesn't just engage you from the other side of the wall.
Well, geez, if Dog the Bounty Hunter can do it effectively..... :roll:

No excuse whatsoever but I doubt any charges will be filed and all leave will be paid.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Beskar'gam wrote:
big nfl nut wrote:But, but...if the cops knock on the door at 1:30AM and say that they are cops, aren't they escalating the risk to themselves that someone will shoot them? You want to tell the murder suspect that you have a warrant when you can't see the suspect? You're giving him a chance to slip out the back door, or out the window if he doesn't just engage you from the other side of the wall.

No excuse whatsoever but I doubt any charges will be filed and all leave will be paid.

Everything leading up to the shooting will be null and void because the victim had a gun, whether it was pointed at the Leos or not.....That is all that will matter..
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Beskar'gam wrote:
big nfl nut wrote:But, but...if the cops knock on the door at 1:30AM and say that they are cops, aren't they escalating the risk to themselves that someone will shoot them? You want to tell the murder suspect that you have a warrant when you can't see the suspect? You're giving him a chance to slip out the back door, or out the window if he doesn't just engage you from the other side of the wall.

Everything leading up to the shooting will be null and void because the victim had a gun, whether it was pointed at the Leos or not.....That is all that will matter..
Precisely, they will call it a justified shooting and the victim will be blamed
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

bignflnut wrote: Video says cops found drugs inside Andrew's apartment (justification, anyone?)!
Take a vacation, boys!
Wouldn't matter if they had found a meth lab, it's not relevant to what happened. This is nothing more than a blatant attempt to justify it after the fact by smearing the homeowner. (Yes, bignflnut - I know you're being facetious. :wink: )

I've answered my door in the wee hours of the morning a number of times and, on at least 2 occassions, it was the police. On every occassion, I was armed. I forget who used to say it around here all the time, but this really strikes me as a "if you don't like guns, you probably shouldn't be a cop" type of scenario.

I don't know the facts, so I won't call for the immediate conviction of anyone, but the whole thing sounds sloppy to me.

From the article:
"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.
Really? So there's no culpability on the officers that had guns pointed at HIM FIRST?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I just hope someone somewhere is keeping track of these and this somehow makes it to SCOTUS.....I have two words that will bite the other team in the but when they say no-knock warrants should be allowed.....

OFFICER SAFETY!!!!!!

Don't want to get shot at, knock first, identify, and wait. If shots come your way before seeing someone, then blow the door down, tear gas the house, and move in.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I have drugs in my house also.....Doesn't everyone ? What does it matter...Why is it that someone with this kind of warrant out on him there are so few LEOS on the property ? And why not surround the house and light the house up ?
Well................
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Why is it that someone with this kind of warrant out on him there are so few LEOS on the property ? And why not surround the house and light the house up ?
Lack of adequate number of police officers.
I've had consistently good results with ether.