What do you have on hand?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: What do you have on hand?

Post by Sevens »

C'mon boothdt, we all think that it's time you came out of the closet! :twisted:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
boothdt

Post by boothdt »

Sevens wrote:C'mon boothdt, we all think that it's time you came out of the closet! :twisted:
Come out of my closet? But then where am I going to sleep? And what will I do with the decoy dummy and claymores that I keep tucked in my bed? :twisted:
Besides, I'm peeking out now and, I think I can see sunlight... :P
“How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.” -Suzanna Hupp
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

On a more serious note...
If you are a genuine 10mm guy and you aren't handloading... you should be our next project.

There are few handguns rounds that benefit more from handloading than 10mm, and for more than one reason.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Between what's already loaded and components, about 3 years shooting at my current pace. :wink:

S.W.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Sevens wrote:On a more serious note...
If you are a genuine 10mm guy and you aren't handloading... you should be our next project.
OTOH, someone with a 10mm and not handloading may well be your next source of a good buy on a very slightly used 10 :mrgreen:
There are few handguns rounds that benefit more from handloading than 10mm, and for more than one reason.
Probably in the top 3: 357, 44Mag, and then 10mm. The first two don't lose your brass so they not only save gobs of money on overpriced ammo, but you don't have to buy any new brass. A 10mm is slightly less attractive since it's inevitable that you will lose some brass every time. :lol:

Ken
Orochimaru

Post by Orochimaru »

I have nothing... no guns, no ammo, nothing. I trust the gum'mint to protect me. :roll:
The second amendment is why we're citizens and not subjects...

‎"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430
BobK

Post by BobK »

shooterwolf wrote:Between what's already loaded and components, about 3 years shooting at my current pace. :wink:

S.W.
So that's about 120,000 rounds, eh. :mrgreen:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

OhioPaints wrote:Probably in the top 3: 357, 44Mag, and then 10mm. The first two don't lose your brass so they not only save gobs of money on overpriced ammo, but you don't have to buy any new brass. A 10mm is slightly less attractive since it's inevitable that you will lose some brass every time. :lol:
You make a fine argument but I submit that you forgot one big reason why the 10mm benefits so greatly from handloading: Most of the available factory fodder is in the hemisphere of "suck"

So it's not just a dollars & cents motivator, it's also very much that the proper 10mm factory ammo is scarce and often needs to be ordered.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I'd call the top 5 list in terms of cost vs availability vs brass retrieval vs easy to find ammo:

#5.TIE
50-caliber pistols (500 S&W, 50 AE)
32 Revolvers- 32 S&W short, long, H&R mag, 327 Federal.
- Not as much demand, don't shoot a lot of it, but ammo is hard to find and overpriced.
#4. 357 Magnum & 38 Special
- Very common, price is not so bad but you shoot a lot of it.
#3. 44 Magnum & Special
- Expensive, not easy to find good loads for, tends to come in small boxes
#2. 45 ACP
- Not that expensive, but too expensive for what it is, and you shoot a lot of it.
#1. 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 S&W, 45-70 Gov't
- Expensive, not easy to find in good loadings, small boxes, can be very expensive the bigger it is.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Sevens,

You make a good point about available 10mm factory loads. I suspect that a lot of .357 and .44 mag factory loads are likewise loaded poorly.

Evan,

as regards .357 and .38 special prices being "not so bad", they are significantly more expensive than 9mm but the components (primer, bullet, powder) are the same as 9mm (well maybe a penny more in powder). That always bugs me. I know it's a sales volume issue.

Ken
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

BobK wrote:
shooterwolf wrote:Between what's already loaded and components, about 3 years shooting at my current pace. :wink:

S.W.
So that's about 120,000 rounds, eh. :mrgreen:

Give or take 53 rounds. :lol:

S.W.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

For the record, I have two dogs and an ambidextrous wife ... she can swing a cast iron frying pan with either hand!
:mrgreen:

Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

^^
We need a smiley face icon with a couple busted teeth.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

Jake wrote:^^
... once again, dear friends, we prove a fine spray of coffee makes a superb screen cleaner ...
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

Jake wrote:^^
Ask and you shall receive.

This Space For Rent