Learning from different schools/instructors.

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Learning from different schools/instructors.

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That's what Bill Holcomb of Three Tango Firearms Academy (a local school of which I'm a repeat offender :P :) ) - who is also a SIRT fan - told me, too.

I'll definitely continue to hold my breath, hoping that my positive vibes will cause them to work faster! :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TSiWRX wrote:^ That's what Bill Holcomb of Three Tango Firearms Academy (a local school of which I'm a repeat offender :P :) ) - who is also a SIRT fan - told me, too.

I'll definitely continue to hold my breath, hoping that my positive vibes will cause them to work faster! :D
How come you guys up north that have the anti-weapon city of the state have all the firearm training academies? All we have down here is TDI. :? I'm amazed the anti's haven't put the training places out of business.

Oh, and I keep pushing them to work faster. I told them I'll buy the M&P first the day it comes out. Next Level Training seems like a great bunch of guys to work with. I just hate that they are in the middle of nowhere by Seattle (not even really close but that's the closest major city.) They are currently on the top of my list to take a class from and they told me they will try to let me know when they have something besides a glock because when you take their instructor class you get a free SIRT Pistol.

Now, the only thing I'm puzzled with is the inner different workings of the AR Bolt and why it won't work on a two stage trigger. I didn't think the bolt had anything to do with how the trigger functions so anyone have any thoughts on that?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JediSkipdogg wrote: How come you guys up north that have the anti-weapon city of the state have all the firearm training academies? All we have down here is TDI. :? I'm amazed the anti's haven't put the training places out of business.
It is a mystery. <insert pic of cute rabbit with pancake on head, here>

:P

Actually, my theory is that TDI is such a presence down there, that it makes "lesser" schools virtually non-feasible. "Lesser" not in terms of the quality of instruction, but rather, in terms of the facilities available: why would I, as a paying student, want to shoot a $150 a day course when, for only a relatively small premium, I can book a 3-day class that includes a shoot-house that is something that I've only seen in movies and video-games?

For us, up here, I really think that a part of it is just that - that there isn't such a domineering presence. Instructors/schools rent out portions of ranges and bring their "traveling show" of target stands and props, and we have at it. Every school/instructor has something unique to bring to the game.

As for the big names that are coming to the area, I think it's really just luck. Raven and Costa share a link, so I undoubtedly have the former for getting the opportunity to sample the latter, right in my own backyard. The original organizer for the Vogel class was a fellow 1911Addict.com member from northern Ohio, so that was another reason why.

Look at it this way, I remain uber jealous that y'all are going to have the Fun-n'-Gun, and I'm always a bit envious of guys like PGWP, who've gone through their handgun progressions and is now looking at stuff like their Active-Killer/Shooter classes. The grass is always greener on the other side, I suppose!
Now, the only thing I'm puzzled with is the inner different workings of the AR Bolt and why it won't work on a two stage trigger. I didn't think the bolt had anything to do with how the trigger functions so anyone have any thoughts on that?
Hey, the AR is yet another black-box mystery to me - at least for the time being. :lol:
GWC

Post by GWC »

When I started driving 5 hours down to TDI a few times a year in 2003, there was absolutely nothing in northern Ohio for training other than security guard and police training. I liked it there so much, and at the time had much more disposable income, that I became a regular. For a few years I was taking 5 or more classes a year.

Then as a few more options opened up, I looked for different places just to diversify my training, first with some Suarez classes, and last summer with Defensive Training Concepts. Several years ago I also took a carbine class in West Virginia from Practical Firearms Training.

I also had a training group/Airsoft team that I worked with more or less weekly for several years.

Unfortunately my pockets are no longer very deep, so the classes last summer were the first formal training I could do for the last couple years, and I haven't been shooting enough for various reasons, so I have really lost my edge.

But In my experience, getting instruction from as many different sources as possible is the best way to go. I was definately not "confused" by having many more perspectives than just one. Whenever I go to something new, I do so with an open mind (at least I try to). They all have their own ways to do things, but the overall tactical thinking is pretty similar. If an instructor says his way is the only "right" way, they are probably wrong.

I prefer instructors that ask me to try a few different methods and pick the ones that work best for me. Even better are ones that are willing to look at something you may have come up with on your own or learned from someone else to see if it has a place as well.

With all of the instructors now available in the northern half of Ohio, I hope I can scrape up a few dollars and try some more of them soon. In the meantime, I can at least have a blast at the FNG each year.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

GWC wrote:When I started driving 5 hours down to TDI a few times a year in 2003, there was absolutely nothing in northern Ohio for training other than security guard and police training. I liked it there so much, and at the time had much more disposable income, that I became a regular. For a few years I was taking 5 or more classes a year.
^ Now *that* is committed!!!! :shock: :D

The tuition for the one-day seminars in NE-0hio are pretty reasonable, but the ammo will definitely demand a chunk of change, no matter how you cut it.

Hope to train with you, one of these days!
GWC

Post by GWC »

TSiWRX wrote:
GWC wrote:When I started driving 5 hours down to TDI a few times a year in 2003, there was absolutely nothing in northern Ohio for training other than security guard and police training. I liked it there so much, and at the time had much more disposable income, that I became a regular. For a few years I was taking 5 or more classes a year.
^ Now *that* is committed!!!! :shock: :D

The tuition for the one-day seminars in NE-0hio are pretty reasonable, but the ammo will definitely demand a chunk of change, no matter how you cut it.

Hope to train with you, one of these days!

Not really, I was just doing what I wanted to do.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.