Question about military rifle brass

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiophotog

Question about military rifle brass

Post by ohiophotog »

A friend of mine has stated a few times that rifle brass used by our military is now illegal to be sold to the civilian market but instead has to be shredded and recycled first.

I know this was talked about on here before but I thought the legislation failed.

He did say that it failed once but that it was reintroduced and passes this time.

Anyone know anything specific about this?
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Question about military rifle brass

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I've never heard of anything like that. Not to mention, since we can legally buy the same ammo they are using in the fields now, why couldn't we buy/use the brass? The only part that sucks with military brass is the crimped primer. Otherwise it's just as good as anything else and nothing else special about it. Heck, the crimped primer actually turns many people away from it because of the extra step to swage the pocket to reload it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

It supposedly went into effect in the last week or so. Or is about to go into effect in another week or so, I can't remember which. I also have no idea on the reasoning on this. Just another anti gun measure I assume since it might drive the price up.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

That was proposed a couple years ago- 2009 I think. Basically the DRMO process was going to be changed to require all spent brass from the military to be destroyed and scrapped instead of sold as intact casings. NOrmally the larger Destructive Device brass is shredded anyway, they wanted to make it include the small arms brass. There was an emormous stink raised by the NRA and a lot of other senators and congressmen since a large amount of ammo used by LEOs for training is made from remanufactured military brass.
The reclassification was decided to not be necessary, and it was dropped.
I buy a lot of brass, and always watch the DRMO auctions. There has been nothing come up about this.

The usual forwarded emails are still circulating in cyberspace, along with the "Don't flash your headlights at cars with no lights or gang members will kill you".

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/casings.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

I knew I had heard something about it a while ago but I was pretty sure it never went into effect. I will have to ask where he heard this info and let him know again that it never took effect and has not been reintroduced.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

The year was 2009 and the Policy was quickly reversed..

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod- ... itary.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

evan price wrote:The usual forwarded emails are still circulating in cyberspace, along with the "Don't flash your headlights at cars with no lights or gang members will kill you".
Last time a car flashed brights at me was two nights ago, about 10:30 PM on a quiet stretch of road. I had my low beams on and he flashed me, so I gave the courtesy flash back to say "I'm on low, all good" and as he drove by... I noticed it was a county Sheriff. This was almost immediately right on the county line, so I don't know if he was Delaware or Franklin, but I thought it was an odd occurrence.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!