Thinking about reloading 9mm

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Thinking about reloading 9mm

Post by Sevens »

9mm does last a long time, no doubt, but it's anything in the world but "relatively low pressure." In fact, it's right up there with most all of what we consider high-pressure pistol rounds. That's how the 9mm does so much with it's tiny space.

When I first started shooting and started looking at velocity numbers and bullet weights, I could never understand to look at them side by side why 9mm and .38 Special seemed so close, with the edge going to 9mm. Physically, it didn't make any sense.

All about the pressure, and the confined space that creates the environment for the pressure. 9mm is HOT stuff.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Well I am holding off buying a new press to see if anyone on here has one they want to get rid of. I also know a guy that used to do CAS and some other stuff, I'm sure he used to reload but I'm not sure if he dose any more or if he has anything left but I will get in contact with him this weekend hopefully and ask.

I found a Dillon 550 for sale on arms list but the guy had every pistol caliber setup on its own speed change including powder hoppers for each, he wanted to much for my blood and did not want to seperate them. Must have been 7 different calibers on speed changers, one may have been .223 I'm not sure.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Like others said use lead bullets....

I load .45acp's for about 10 cents a round.... and it's well worth it... I've been thinking of getting a 9mm so we'll see if I invest in loading for that too.
-Aaron
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Well I just bought my first bit of reloading supplies. Let me know if i got a good deal or not.

Dillon beam type scale (not sure which one yet) Used $35

Approximately 4.5 lbs Winchester W231 powder (old container but the previous owner refilled it who knows how many times as its marked 3lbs from factory, container is metal) $45

1000 CCI #500 primers $28 and some change (I know that's retail price)

3 plastic 50 round ammo boxes $4

500 9mm cases used but tumbled clean not deprimed FREE.

Came up to 120 after tax out the door.

I feel like it was a good deal.

Local gun store says they are getting out of stocking reloading supplies.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Sounds like a good deal. The only thing I have reservations on is the powder. I'm just leary of buying used or refilled powder. While it's probably what it should be, if not or accidentally mixed, well, I'll let you figure what happens.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Yeah I thought about that as well so I think I will start with a mild load to make sure its not some magnum powder.

At somewhere in the neighborhood of. 0077 cents per charge I will have a great deal if it turns out to be usable.

I may not use it right off the bat though. I don't know. I will have to get some load data from the 70's and compare it to 80's 90's and current to get a good low end load to test it out with.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Yeeeeeaaaaaah.... I wouldn't touch opened powder unless it came from someone I trusted(and subsequently knew where they lived) with a ten foot pole.

One of the reasons I don't buy pull down powder at gun shows in old bleach bottles... I like the right side of my face right where it is.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Jeez, I know it seems everyone who wants to reload has economy as one of the motivations. But come on, think this through.

Your powder cost by your own calculation is $0.77 per hundred rounds. Do you really think it is worth taking any risk on bad powder, blowing up guns, or hurting a human being for $0.77 per hundred?

Throw that crap in the garden as fertilizer and purchase new powder.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

You guys really think its that bad of an idea to use what appears by visual to indeed be the correct powder? It is an even color and it is all small round flattened balls. There's no flake or non flattened balls and its all the same shade of gray.

I know gunpowder is not classified by visual but from what I have read there not much else that comes as flattened balls and even so its not that large of a difference in burn rate compared to W231.
BobK

Post by BobK »

ohiophotog wrote:You guys really think its that bad of an idea.
Yep. That is exactly what I said.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

As cheap as new powder is, I wouldn't buy stuff that'd been refilled and not in the original container.

You want cheap? Alliant PROMO. 8# jug for under $100 out the door at Vance's. Reloads to Red Dot data by weight (not volume) and my tests show it's a better powder than I expected. New, sealed, fresh, and known to be what it says it is.

That powder you have- if you use it- start at bottom load data for Win 231 or HP38, and then work up from there.

There's lots of powders that look like 231 but aren't.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.