9MM VS. PITBULL

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dan dan the XD40 man

9MM VS. PITBULL

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

A CMHA policeman had to shoot an attacking pitbull this morning at one of the buildings I maintain. He fired 7 rounds of HP ammo, and connected 4 times. I arrived about 10 minutes after the shooting and the dog was out of the fight, but still alive and breathing, albeit with some difficulty. I'm a total "girl" when it comes to animals, and dogs in particular, so I didnt hang around. Just something to think about. I carry a 9mm most of the time myself.
Poop!
charles1198

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Post by charles1198 »

I talked to an old cop once who had to shoot a dog on a raid. He did, several times, as did another officer. It finally took two 12 gauge shots to stop his attack -- the 5 shots of .40 and .45 (all which connected solidly) barely slowed him down. It wasn't a pit, either. It was a Rott mix, IIRC.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Switch to .45 and stay alive! :P
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

A strange thing I've noticed with coyotes, with .45 acp they try to run after a good hit. Even with a tennis ball (ok, a little smaller) exit wound they try to run. One hit with a .223 and they just drop. 230 grains vs 62. Of course the .223 is over 3 times faster.
dan dan the XD40 man

Jake wrote:Switch to .45 and stay alive! :P
G30 & G36 FTW

:mrgreen:
Poop!
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:A CMHA policeman had to shoot an attacking pitbull this morning at one of the buildings I maintain. He fired 7 rounds of HP ammo, and connected 4 times. I arrived about 10 minutes after the shooting and the dog was out of the fight, but still alive and breathing, albeit with some difficulty. I'm a total "girl" when it comes to animals, and dogs in particular, so I didnt hang around. Just something to think about. I carry a 9mm most of the time myself.
Read the thread best .38 snubbie sd ammo. According to more then one person there is no such thing as stopping power. So 9mm .40 .45 just doesn't matter I guess. I wish there was a true study about dog bite to help clear the pit bull rap.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

My carry gun has 8 .45acp HPs in it and a spare with 7-8 FMJs; maybe there'll be time to switch in that kind of encounter.
dan dan the XD40 man

jamie9mm wrote:
dan dan the XD40 man wrote:A CMHA policeman had to shoot an attacking pitbull this morning at one of the buildings I maintain. He fired 7 rounds of HP ammo, and connected 4 times. I arrived about 10 minutes after the shooting and the dog was out of the fight, but still alive and breathing, albeit with some difficulty. I'm a total "girl" when it comes to animals, and dogs in particular, so I didnt hang around. Just something to think about. I carry a 9mm most of the time myself.
Read the thread best .38 snubbie sd ammo. According to more then one person there is no such thing as stopping power. So 9mm .40 .45 just doesn't matter I guess. I wish there was a true study about dog bite to help clear the pit bull rap.
I've read that youre more likely to get bit by a Chihuahua than a pitbull. The major difference, at least in my book, is that I can usually walk away from even the most determined Chihuahua attack. So I'd gladly take 250 Chihuahua attacks over 1 bully breed attack...French Bulldog notwithstanding.
Poop!
BobK

Post by BobK »

calvin56 wrote:A strange thing I've noticed with coyotes, with .45 acp they try to run after a good hit. Even with a tennis ball (ok, a little smaller) exit wound they try to run. One hit with a .223 and they just drop. 230 grains vs 62. Of course the .223 is over 3 times faster.
Well, as you pointed out, being faster makes all the difference. Just pulling a couple quick numbers off the Hornady website:

9MM Luger, 115 gr. JHP/XTP: 341 ft-lb (muzzle), 280 ft-lb (50 yds)
45 ACP+P 200 GR HP/XTP: 494 ft-lb (muzzle), 421 ft-lb (50 yds) (45% more energy than 9mm)

223 REM 53 GR HP W/C: 1305 ft-lb (muzzle), 971 ft-lb (100 yds) (283% more energy than 9mm)

Now, energy isn't the end-all and be-all in stopping power, but superior energy is usually a good thing!
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles.

The wounding mechanism between the two is substantially different.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

FWIW...drifting away.....

I read the other day that a 308 has more energy @ 400yds. than a .223 does at the muzzle. 8)
The article then went on to recommend a .308 over the .223 for HD. :lol:
I think not, unless I live in a very remote location.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

What, no mention of SHOT PLACEMENT?
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Jake wrote:FWIW...drifting away.....

I read the other day that a 308 has more energy @ 400yds. than a .223 does at the muzzle. 8)
The article then went on to recommend a .308 over the .223 for HD. :lol:
I think not, unless I live in a very remote location.
Continuing with Bob's Hornady reference:

308 Win 150 gr GMX - 2648 ft/lb (muzzle), 2243 ft/lb (100 yd), 1311 ft/lb (400 yd)

or -

.308 Win., 110 gr. TAP - 2446 ft/lb (muzzle), 1956 ft/lb (100 yd), 935 ft/lb (400 yd)

But I don't think I'll be using that for HD anytime soon.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

pistols are only to be used when you can't get to your rifle lol.
-Aaron
jdmsds

Post by jdmsds »

I'm still comfortable carrying a 9mm. :wink: