Assulted today in my church parking lot

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rexles

Assulted today in my church parking lot

Post by rexles »

This may be a long story but here goes.
I went to my church this afternoon to fix a few things. As I was pulling into the parking lot I noticed a silver Chevy mini van in the yard behind the building.
I drove back there with my work van and some one had purposely driven off the driveway that goes to the garage out back and into the yard. With the rain we have had the yard was wet and they had it burried up to the rear axles.
I wrote down the plate number and drove up to the church office to ask the secretary ( my duaghter) if they knew about it. She informed me they had already made a police report, that it was not reported stolen and was trying to contact the owner.
I walked throught the church to go back out to the vehichle to get the VIN number. I got the VIN and checked the van out and saw they had run throught alot of yard tearing up the grass. I opened the door and looked in and saw a dope pipe made out of a deer antler that still had soem dope left in it.
I closed up the door and headed across the yard to go back to the church and heard someone yell at me. There were 2 black youths coming towards me. I asked if this was their van.
Yes was the reply. I asked what they were doing on private property and the 19yr old started yelling and cussing as me as he kept coming. I had run him off the property before.
My Kimber 45 is in a holster in my van. :oops: I have permission to carry at church as I am one of the deacons. I carry on Sundays and Wednesdays when we have services. But I just don't carry with me when I am working, but it is always in my van.
Well I tell these young men I will just call 911. He jumped at me and grabbed for my phone and grabbed me by my shirt collar. At this time I kicked him in the family jewels ( I hope he never gets to reproduce). He started swinging as me as I tried to just protect myself and get away from him. As we wrestled around he hit me in the head with a couple of glancing blows, I kicked him again and he finally got ahold of my phone and ripped the top off the flip phone. I grabbed his head and was taking him down when he grabbed my wallet out of my back pocket. The other boy (16) stayed out of it( Thank God) He even tried to get his buddy to stop a couple times. I broke free from him and ran about 150yds to where my van was. Got my gun.
About now the sherriff deputy that lives just east of our 15acre property comes flying in the parking lot in his pick up. (off duty). His son saw us fighting across the field and told his dad. THANK GOD.
I run back around the corner with my 45 and he has his gun drawn on the 19yr old. The 16 yr old was already on the ground with his hands behind his back. I inform that I have a CCL and he tells me to keep my gun on the kid on the ground.
My Pastor pulls in about the time I am running through the yard with my gun and pulls around to see what is going on. He sees the deputy with a gun out and doesn't reconize him.
Calls 911 and tries to tell them to get Toledo PD out there explaining he has one on the ground and two with guns. He told them one(me) was a church member with a CCL.
The deputy tells him to tell 911 that an officer needs assistance.
19yr yout cusses deputy telling him so shoot him. Deputy knows him by name and knows where he lives as he has been in much trouble in neighborhood.Deputy puts up his gun and gets out his Mag lIte. Tries to talk him down etc. Boy on the ground asks me to let the cops know he tried to get his friend to back off and that he wasn't involved.As the first TPD car pulls into lot the yout lets the deputy handcuff him. I didn't have a holster on me so I stuck my gun in my pocket.
3 TPD show up, I notify each of them. No big deal. After some question/answer time I tell one of the officers I am going to go secure my weapon in my van.
19 yr old yout had 4 warrants out on him. More question/answer time. Towed van away. Broken phone. Ruts in the yard.
Turned 16 yr yout loose. 19 yr Yout got a ride downtown. Charged with property damage. robery, and a felony for taking my phone when I was dialing 911.
Pastor made fun of me for having a CCL and not having my gun on me when I needed it . THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!! :wink:
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Assulted today in my church parking lot

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Just confirms my comfort being able to carry at church.

Glad it worked out for you as well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Good job!!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Glad you are OK and the BG went to jail. I'm a believer in self defense training for folks who can do it. Many many bad situations begin with an assault similar to yours. Nice counter attack with the groin kicks BTW. Practicing punching, kicking, blocking, and footwork, is as important as range time in my opinion. Knowing where to attack an opponnent is worth one's time to learn. Even if all we have to do is hold out until help arrives. It sounds like you did great. Good on ya!
The British are going! The British are going!
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Glad you are OK Rex! Scary ordeal at best....
-Aaron
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

Sounds like you got pretty lucky that both of them didn't jump you instead of just the one. Glad you got out alright.
When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
.George Washington
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Just goes to add to my point that anything can happen anywhere. I get asked all the time why I carry at church or when I'm the only one at church and this here proves my point. Glad you are alright.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Glad to hear you're ok, rex.

Shameful the direction that area is taking. I grew up over there.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

Very glad you are OK.

Sounds like there are some lessons to learn from this one.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I sincerely hope that I never have to post in these forums that I was assaulted and was not armed. I sympathize with your embarrassment over that issue.

However, it was also a cheap lesson in that you were not hurt, so maybe this event will end up saving your life someday when the balloon goes up and you are grateful that you are armed to meet the challenge.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Man, that's a wild one! Sounds like you did a fine job holding your own against a 19-yr old worthless punk, unarmed.
YEAH, you get a demerit for not carrying your handgun, but you fought your way to it, and that means a lot.

I'm also glad to hear that the younger kid made the right choices and I hope things get better for him.

Glad you are okay! Score another one for the good guys.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Just goes to add to my point that anything can happen anywhere. I get asked all the time why I carry at church or when I'm the only one at church and this here proves my point. Glad you are alright.
....That is what I try to get my wife to understand, she has a hard time with it sometimes....Went for a walk last night as usual and she wanted to know why I was CC..I always do....I hate to say it, but she just doesn't get it....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
DigitelD

Post by DigitelD »

Thanks for posting this. I am a Pastor and I normally carry when I am at the church in between services. We have some who carry during the services.
scriz

Post by scriz »

Exactly the reason why I carry EVERYWHERE. There are only 2 places that I do not carry; Church and work. I have not gained permission from the church counsel yet and I work on an Air Force Base.

My father-in-law is a counsel member and has been attending this church for 23 years. I think its time for me to have a sit down with the counsel.

Rex, I'm glad to hear that you were not hurt. I'm also glad to see the 16yo found his buddies actions to be something he wanted no part of. Maybe he'll see him as an example and steer into a different path.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Dang, glad you're okay! Thanks for writing that up. Tense situation for sure.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.
Rand Paul 2016