Cleveland Botanical Garden CPZ?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock Rock

Cleveland Botanical Garden CPZ?

Post by Glock Rock »

Anybody know for sure?

11030 East Blvd 44106

http://www.cbgarden.org/Visit/VisitorInformation.html

TIA
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Don't know, but in reading thru the web site I found something strange!
Part-Time Security Officer
Qualifications:
High school diploma
One year work experience
Ability to work flexible schedule
Part-Time Ticketing / Visitor Services Representative
Qualifications:
Ability to work flexible schedule on as needed basis
Strong customer service skills
Ability to interact effectively and courteously with Garden staff, volunteers, and visitors
Excellent cash handling skills
Summer Education Intern
Qualifications
- High school graduate with minimum 2 years in college or post-secondary program: prefer education, environmental/natural resources, horticulture/agriculture, museum exhibit/interpretation studies or related field.
- Experience in youth leadership or counselor roles.
- Good communications skills.
- Availability to work week days and weekends.
Requirements
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
The "intern" requires a criminal background check. OK, but no one else does, not even the Security Guard?
smiffnwessun2007

Post by smiffnwessun2007 »

botanical gardens is zoned on the case western reserve campus, and maintained by cwru pd, and university circles pd.... i think that might have something to do with it....
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Cleveland Botanical Garden CPZ?

Post by TSiWRX »

Reviving a long-ago thread. I searched, and could not find another thread on this location, but if there was, I do apologize. :oops:

Went there with the family today, for the festival. First time there since obtaining my Ohio CHL. I did not carry, as I was not sure of the location (the search above did not provide any more information, other than this thread) or the exact venue (I assumed that there would be alcohol, and that proved to be correct - beer and wine).

I could not find any postings at:
- Primary entrance.
- Side entrance (by the garage-stairs/elevator).
- Underground garage entrance, either into the garage or into the building
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
tcamdg

Post by tcamdg »

Who owns the Gardens? In a quick internet search, I can't find any indication that it's government-owned.
"...what they must mean is that the 2nd Amendment should be singled out for special—and specially unfavorable—treatment. We reject that suggestion."
-Justice Alito, writing for the majority in McDonald v. Chicago, 7/28/2010.
tcamdg

Re:

Post by tcamdg »

smiffnwessun2007 wrote:botanical gardens is zoned on the case western reserve campus, and maintained by cwru pd, and university circles pd.... i think that might have something to do with it....
It's in Wade Park, which I believe is not part of the CWRU campus, but is city/public property.

Here's the zoning info, which doesn't make much sense to me:

And the City of Cleveland is the owner of that land, I just can't figure out how to link to that info.
Last edited by tcamdg on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...what they must mean is that the 2nd Amendment should be singled out for special—and specially unfavorable—treatment. We reject that suggestion."
-Justice Alito, writing for the majority in McDonald v. Chicago, 7/28/2010.
NERES

Post by NERES »

Not sure what "zoned on" means but if it is part of the Case Western campus or on their land then it is CPZ except for storing the gun in a locked vehicle (State law regarding campus carry).

Another post happened as I was writing this so it appears the key is to find out what the connection to the CWR campus is.
JonasM

Re:

Post by JonasM »

Cruiser wrote:The "intern" requires a criminal background check. OK, but no one else does, not even the Security Guard?
Based on this clue: "Experience in youth leadership or counselor roles.", which probably means there's extensive contact with children, so it's probably because state law requires people in these positions to pass a background check. In my daughter's (private) school, you need to have fingerprints on file for any kind of volunteering that involves the kids.
Last edited by JonasM on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bones

Post by bones »

i have been there for banquets and have had alcohol served. but, entering from the parking garage i did not see a gun buster sign.
Allen County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Alan Mefferd said he does not expect any problems arising from people with concealed carry licenses. History has shown those with concealed carry licenses are among the most law-abiding segment of the population. Otherwise, they would not be eligible for a license that gives them the right to carry a concealed handgun, he said...
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

NERES wrote:Not sure what "zoned on" means but if it is part of the Case Western campus or on their land then it is CPZ except for storing the gun in a locked vehicle (State law regarding campus carry).

Another post happened as I was writing this so it appears the key is to find out what the connection to the CWR campus is.
^ That's indeed the key. I wish I knew how to verify this, for-certain.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

TSiWRX wrote:
NERES wrote:Not sure what "zoned on" means but if it is part of the Case Western campus or on their land then it is CPZ except for storing the gun in a locked vehicle (State law regarding campus carry).

^ That's indeed the key. I wish I knew how to verify this, for-certain.
I think we're reaching the point where there would be a serious (and legitimate) argument to be made about whether a violation was committed knowingly. Granted this is Cleveland and all but expecting someone to do title searches and have the property lines surveyed prior to visiting what appears to be a city park is unreasonable.

Personally I'm of the opinion to conceal well and get on with it.
Ben4Freedom

Post by Ben4Freedom »

I was thinking of going. So, I sent them an email asking about their policy and if they had government employees or were considered part of the university. Here is the response.
Thanks for checking with us regarding our concealed carry policy. The answers to your questions are below:

· The Botanical Garden prohibits licensed, conceal and carry guns on our property and in our building

· We are a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit organization, and thus not a governmental entity, nor are our employees.

· Our property is not connected to, nor owned by, Case Western Reserve University or any other schools

· We are considered an independent organization housed in University Circle, like The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Museum of Natural History, and other cultural institutions

I hope this helps. Please also know that our parking garage is underground, well-lit, and monitored by Security ( who do not carry guns).

Please let me know if you have any further questions - I hope you are able to visit soon!
They may have misread my intent, because they say their guards are unarmed like that that should be a comfort to me. Basically, they are voluntarily a soft target operating on hope. Because you can't be armed, and those charged with your security are just as powerless.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Ben4Freedom wrote:if they had government employees or were considered part of the university.
Neither. It is not affiliated with the City of Cleveland nor Case Western Reserve University. It is owned by the Holden Arboretum.

http://www.holdenarb.org/about/mission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally. I would not have asked.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Never ask. Never. The answer will always be "No".

If there is a sign, lock your gun in your car. If not, carry on.

Never ask. Never. If they do not have a sign, they will likely put one up.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
zkoston

Post by zkoston »

I visited today (September 22nd, 2019) and there was a posted sign on the garage entrance. However, there wasn't one on the ground floor main entrance. So it depends on where you come in from.