We have a limited time to request Dashcam Video!

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

We have a limited time to request Dashcam Video!

Post by MrMagoo »

We have found that at least one police department in Ohio, and this one is the Ohio State Patrol, only keeps their dash-cam videos for 30 days. The bottom line here is that if anyone is involved in an incident where a comment is made about being too slow to notify or the officer gives information clearly contrary to the Ohio concealed carry laws, we have a limited time to obtain the dash-cam video. OFCC continues to develop testimony in support of the upcoming legislation to eliminate LEO notification and OFCC needs your help by notifying the organization of these incidents as soon as possible after they happen. Please contact Jeff, Bryan, a coordinator or moderator as soon as possie after an incident.

This is NOT meant as bashing law enforcement.

Gary

{Changed to announcement, and added to title for more description--ep}
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
SMMAssociates

Re: We have a limited time

Post by SMMAssociates »

Gary:

Must be VHS or Mini-DV, or one of the other "tape" formats. CD or DVD is "permanent", and cheap enough to retain forever.

The tapes, though, are still a little expensive. I would assume that if a critical incident came up, they'd keep the tapes, though.

Probably best to have your lawyer (and/or this group) contact the PD immediately!

It may also be prudent to try to find out what kind of system they're using. There's no excuse for CD's or DVD's to be discarded. They still could be using rewritable CD's or DVD's, but they cost more, and wear out. 'Course, some bean counter could have figured out that they'd save $50/year and.... But, the real reason to find out what system is to be sure that they're not lying when you ask for a copy and "it's already been recycled"....

Paranoid-R-Us :mrgreen:....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

SMMAssociates wrote:Gary:

Must be VHS or Mini-DV, or one of the other "tape" formats. CD or DVD is "permanent", and cheap enough to retain forever.

The tapes, though, are still a little expensive. I would assume that if a critical incident came up, they'd keep the tapes, though.
I don't believe their policy is "wrong" because what we're talking about is basic footage. Granted, if Canton, Ohio discarded their tapes every thirty days imagine how much better of they would be right now? From a data storage standpoint the Ohio State Highway Patrol would probably be inundated with material.

Now-a-days the more modern dash camera systems are fully digital. They store the data locally in the car, and when the officer pulls into the station lot they're within wireless range for the car to upload the footage to local storage. Since the Ohio State Highway Patrol's records are stored at a central repository I can imagine that their volumes of data would be huge.

Arrests, chases, and other incidents are more than likely NOT discarded and archived with the event. I believe what we're talking about here is when an officer issues a simple citation or is driving around for eight hours. Those otherwise "meaningless" events are discarded within thirty days. I say meaningless fully aware of how meaningful the history of Harless' stops were to his demise.

Unfortunately, I doubt any change would come short of legislation mandating how long something like this had to be maintained. On the flip side, the whole point of what we're trying to say is this:

If you or someone you know is treated wrong, specifically with respect to our issue, please try to tell us IMMEDIATELY. Recently in light of the Canton stop and some aggressive side of the road behavior we've been tipped off to some crazy things happening. Sadly, most of them are more than thirty days away. One is a week old, and we're working on getting it.

-Jeff

p.s. - The whole purpose of this is because we're putting together a portfolio of events to support legislation to remove mandatory prompt notification. If you know anyone who suffered because of that law and we can show the event details in a police report or dash camera footage, we'd like it for our formal testimony presentation.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Can this be made a sticky at least until we can get notification to go away?

That way, it won't be lost or buried for those who are new or less active on the forum.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jeff:

My comment was mostly related to how the camera results are stored. Offloading it to a server someplace likely would require some pruning, whereas a DVD or CD based system, in the vehicle, wouldn't....

(A friend of mine did a review of available "dashcam" devices for "Law & Order" a while back. I wish I kept a copy - he's generally in trouble when trying to plug a polarized wall plug into a socket.... But I'm pretty sure that preceded "pull up to the building and we'll grab your stuff" systems. Or at least they were above the article's price line. Fortunately, he had some professional help installing most of these systems or we'd still be waiting for the article. Or buying systems that are implanted in the Officer's forehead :D.)

IAC, you're absolutely correct - TELL SOMEBODY IMMEDIATELY.... Your own lawyer, us, etc....

Linda's correct about the sticky. OK to drop my comments (and Linda's, too). (Although she may send me one of her kids if I'm not correct :D.)

It also might pay to try to find out the storage method that the PD involved is using - to try to establish if pruning occurred "naturally", or if some effort was made to destroy the recording, with "natural" pruning being an excuse.

(In the Harless instance, why the guy didn't AD his shotgun into the trunk - or wherever the dashcam was located - I'll never know.... Some are mounted in the cab someplace - re-designing the car roof isn't at all unusual.... :()

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
synack2

Re: We have a limited time to request Dashcam Video!

Post by synack2 »

I am not sure why this would be neccesary. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. If they don't retain the video they have no proof that you didn't Identify promplty.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

synack2 wrote:I am not sure why this would be neccesary. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. If they don't retain the video they have no proof that you didn't Identify promplty.
Do they keep proof that you sped when they write you a speeding ticket? The officer's word in court is generally all that is needed for proof. It's your job as the defendant to disprove him.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MuzzleReport

Post by MuzzleReport »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
synack2 wrote:I am not sure why this would be neccesary. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. If they don't retain the video they have no proof that you didn't Identify promplty.
Do they keep proof that you sped when they write you a speeding ticket? The officer's word in court is generally all that is needed for proof. It's your job as the defendant to disprove him.
Innocent until proven guilty, yeah right...
synack2

Post by synack2 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
synack2 wrote:I
It's your job as the defendant to disprove him.
Your job as the defendant is to make him prove it. I have a program on my smart phone called tapeatalk, I use it all the time for meeting and such so I can refference back to what is said if need be. I have also used it when I am pulled over. I can hit the app hit the red button and sit it on my dash. then I have the proof of what is said.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

synack2 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
Your job as the defendant is to make him prove it. I have a program on my smart phone called tapeatalk, I use it all the time for meeting and such so I can refference back to what is said if need be. I have also used it when I am pulled over. I can hit the app hit the red button and sit it on my dash. then I have the proof of what is said.
Until you run into that one rare Officer that is intent on putting it to you, and it just happens to "malfunction" or "disappear" magically, for no known reason after the nice Officer arrests you. :shock: :?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

synack2 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
THere's the way it's suppose to be and the way it is. If there's no evidence, and it's your word vs his, the courts generally listen to the officer. If not, how does any speeding ticket ever stick? Remember, this is the state where the courts said last year and officer is legally allowed to visualize your speed and it can stick. So he can walk into a courtroom and say you were doing approximately 80 in a 55. You say prove it. All he has to say is "my training in the academy taught me to properly visualize it" and you're done. America is not what it use to be.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Jim-in-Toledo wrote:Until you run into that one rare Officer that is intent on putting it to you, and it just happens to "malfunction" or "disappear" magically, for no known reason after the nice Officer arrests you. :shock: :?
That is why my phone is setup to record the conversation on a server. If the phone disappears, the conversation is still recorded.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
synack2

Post by synack2 »

My phone as well puts the file in my dropbox acount so it is synced almost realtime to the internet, that way there is a copy of it elsewhere.
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Bob- what program is it that you use? I am interested now!
BobK

Post by BobK »

medmandan wrote:Bob- what program is it that you use? I am interested now!
Yes, I have that setup as a speed dial on my cell phone, although I named the contact "recording", so I can also use voice commands "Call recording".

1. Go to freeconferencecalling.com and set up a free conference call line.
2. You will also establish your online account with them at the same time, which allows you access the recorded calls later
2. When you set up the account, you get 3 numbers: the dial-in line (example:555-555-5555), the conference code (example: 222222), and the host ID (example: 11111).
3. Add that information as a cell phone contact. You have to insert "P" as a 1 second delay -- see your phone options.
4. Using the example numbers, use this type of format: 555-555-5555PPP2222222P11111P5*
5. The "P5*" at the end pauses a second then 5* starts recording the call.
6. After you hang up the call, you can access the recorded call using the online account you setup in step 1.
7. Every cell phone has a means of setting a speed dial option. Set this contact up to use the feature however is convenient to you.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?