Stark County park Ordinances

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Starwatcher

Stark County park Ordinances

Post by Starwatcher »

Please read the following and let me know if it is 9.68 compliant.

CRIMINAL:
SCPD 5.0
Firearms, Fireworks, Explosives, Dangerous Ordnances, or
Bow and Arrows
(a) No person, except police officers of the Board or other law enforcement officers, shall
carry, posses, or have available, or discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun,
slingshot, missile throwing device within the park, or discharge any firearms, fireworks,
explosives, substance, or air or gas gun. Exception: hunters during hunting season in
designated areas that have a valid hunting license and anyone with a valid CCW permit.
(b) No person shall possess or carry a switchblade, hunting knife, dagger, metal knuckles, or
other dangerous weapon or ordnance while within the confines of park property.
Exception: persons with a valid hunting or fishing license using authorized areas on
parklands for hunting or fishing may possess a hunting knife.
(c) No person shall possess or discharge any fireworks or an explosive substance within
parklands or from adjacent lands onto parklands.
(d) No person shall conduct target practice with firearms of any description, air or gas gun,
sling shot, boomerang, any missile throwing device, crossbow, or bow and arrow within
park property. No person shall place any item on park property as a target. Exception:
areas designated for such purposes by the Park Director and/or his/her designee.
(e) No person shall possess or release an arrow from a bow, crossbow, or longbow within the
park except in areas designated as archery ranges. Exception: archery anglers and
hunters in designated hunting areas with a valid hunting or fishing license.
Clear Skies and
Keep Looking up
NRA Member
OFCC member
pirateguy191

Re: Stark County park Ordinances

Post by pirateguy191 »

It does not seem to be 9.68 compliant. Oh, Mr. Harben.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

I am not speaking for Chris, but the first section (a) says you can not posses a firearm. That makes it a violation. :!:
OhioMoose

Post by OhioMoose »

Tourist wrote:I am not speaking for Chris, but the first section (a) says you can not posses a firearm. That makes it a violation. :!:
Did you red the last sentence in (a)?

"Exception: hunters during hunting season in designated areas that have a valid hunting license and anyone with a valid CCW permit."
"A gun is a tool, Marian, no better, no worse than any other tool, an ax, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it, remember that." - Alan Ladd in "Shane", screenplay by A. B. Guthrie, Jr.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Starwatcher wrote:Please read the following and let me know if it is 9.68 compliant.

CRIMINAL:
SCPD 5.0
Firearms, Fireworks, Explosives, Dangerous Ordnances, or
Bow and Arrows
(a) No person, except police officers of the Board or other law enforcement officers, shall
carry, posses, or have available, or discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun,
slingshot, missile throwing device within the park, or discharge any firearms, fireworks,
explosives, substance, or air or gas gun. Exception: hunters during hunting season in
designated areas that have a valid hunting license and anyone with a valid CCW permit.
(b) No person shall possess or carry a switchblade, hunting knife, dagger, metal knuckles, or
other dangerous weapon or ordnance while within the confines of park property.
Exception: persons with a valid hunting or fishing license using authorized areas on
parklands for hunting or fishing may possess a hunting knife.
(c) No person shall possess or discharge any fireworks or an explosive substance within
parklands or from adjacent lands onto parklands.
(d) No person shall conduct target practice with firearms of any description, air or gas gun,
sling shot, boomerang, any missile throwing device, crossbow, or bow and arrow within
park property. No person shall place any item on park property as a target. Exception:
areas designated for such purposes by the Park Director and/or his/her designee.
(e) No person shall possess or release an arrow from a bow, crossbow, or longbow within the
park except in areas designated as archery ranges. Exception: archery anglers and
hunters in designated hunting areas with a valid hunting or fishing license.
Good catch OhioMoose! I missed that on the first read also.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

From ORC 9.68(C)(1)
The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person’s person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.
Definitely in violation.
MyWifeSaidYes
Starwatcher

Post by Starwatcher »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:From ORC 9.68(C)(1)
The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person’s person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.
Definitely in violation.
That would be my take on it, just wanted to make sure that I was understanding 9.68 before I let the park system know about it's non-compliance, Unless OFCC wants to take it from here and send them a letter!????? I'll wait before I act.
Clear Skies and
Keep Looking up
NRA Member
OFCC member
kentman

Post by kentman »

I personally know some of the Rangers, I'll have to ask what is going on with this. Good group of guys who work there, it is probably just a matter of not updating /keeping current on the issue. I'm sure a phone call will take care of it.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Starwatcher wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:From ORC 9.68(C)(1)
Definitely in violation.
That would be my take on it, just wanted to make sure that I was understanding 9.68 before I let the park system know about it's non-compliance, Unless OFCC wants to take it from here and send them a letter!????? I'll wait before I act.
If you can, let Chris Harben have a chance at this - he'll likely post here if he's going to act on it on our behalf. It tends to help when we quote all of the case law and we happen to have a bunch of fresh current stories in the news media right now about what happens when we're ignored :)

If you do decide to send anything anyway, please copy Chris on it and remember anything you write immediately becomes public record once they receive it. If we ended up going to court, we'd request those from the county and likely bring them up in the lawsuit :)
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Starwatcher

Post by Starwatcher »

jgarvas wrote:If you do decide to send anything anyway, please copy Chris on it and remember anything you write immediately becomes public record once they receive it. If we ended up going to court, we'd request those from the county and likely bring them up in the lawsuit :)
Wow never gave that a thought, I don't want to get that involved!! :wink: jgarvas I'll let Chris do his thing. I just want to be kept in the loop so I know that it is being done, I have no problem in being an activist, if need be but would rather bow to the more seasoned among us. Go get them Chris. I am sure that as someone has stated that it may be just an over site on their part but still has to have a spot light on it for a clear shot!! :D
Clear Skies and
Keep Looking up
NRA Member
OFCC member
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Hello everyone and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

This is clearly in violation...even with the language exempting CHL holders. That is a fairly typical clause that towns use thinking that it will bring them into compliance. However, because it excludes people who don't have a license and who could still carry openly, it remains a violation.

Oh, by the way, guess which county Canton is in? ;)

This should be fun... :mrgreen:
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Starwatcher

Post by Starwatcher »

charben wrote:
Be gentle. I still have to live here and don't want to see too much of my tax dollars going to high price lawyers!! :twisted:
Clear Skies and
Keep Looking up
NRA Member
OFCC member
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Starwatcher wrote:
charben wrote:
Be gentle. I still have to live here and don't want to see too much of my tax dollars going to high price lawyers!! :twisted:
My approach is ALWAYS gentle...unless they laugh and hang up on me. ;)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."