Rowlands Nature Preserve in Elyria twp

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
knightowl

Rowlands Nature Preserve in Elyria twp

Post by knightowl »

Elyria twp was lucky to be donated a large piece of land to transform into a park/nature reserve. Unfortunately they have posted at least two "no firearms" signs that i seen.
“The right is absolute … government has no authority to forbid me from owning a firearm … the debate is not about guns. It is about freedom.”
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Rowlands Nature Preserve in Elyria twp

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

knightowl wrote:Elyria twp was lucky to be donated a large piece of land to transform into a park/nature reserve. Unfortunately they have posted at least two "no firearms" signs that i seen.
If it is TWP owned and not a building they can not post it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
knightowl

Post by knightowl »

Here is the email i sent them
I am writing this E-Mail to officially inform you that the current signs posted at Rowlands Nature Preserve which include the wording “No Firearms or hunting” is a violation of Ohio revised code which in short says only the United States or the Ohio Constitutions can ban firearms from any public property. I am including the link to the law http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

I am hoping that to prevent a financial down fall from any lawsuits due to this violation and I believe that simply removing the words “firearms” and “or” from the “No Firearms or Hunting” would be sufficient in preventing any legal action against Elyria Township and its residents.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter
Jeff Phillips
(440) XXX-XXXX
I received a phone call from them today and they said the are going to consult with their prosecutor about the legalities of their sign.
“The right is absolute … government has no authority to forbid me from owning a firearm … the debate is not about guns. It is about freedom.”
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

The problem here is knowing how to say "No Hunting or Target shooting" without saying "No Firearms Allowed"! I still see that around here on the list of Rules at some town and county parks. :roll:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

While I applaud your efforts in this, I wish you wouldn't have pulled the lawsuit card quite yet. Were YOU going to sue them? In most cases, we don't have to go there in a first communication.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
knightowl

Post by knightowl »

Well I live in this township and i think the township does a great job and i truly would not want the township to lose my tax dollars for a lawsuit that can be avoided by a simple wording change on the sign. I made that clear to them when i talked to them at a family fun fair Saturday.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

charben wrote:While I applaud your efforts in this, I wish you wouldn't have pulled the lawsuit card quite yet. Were YOU going to sue them? In most cases, we don't have to go there in a first communication.
Then again knightowl's strongly worded letter may have saved you months of e-mail, snail mail letter and phone tag, Chris, time which would be so much better spent at getting 88 or so county fairgrounds UNposted around Ohio, or something else maybe. :wink:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Brian D. wrote:
charben wrote:While I applaud your efforts in this, I wish you wouldn't have pulled the lawsuit card quite yet. Were YOU going to sue them? In most cases, we don't have to go there in a first communication.
Then again knightowl's strongly worded letter may have saved you months of e-mail, snail mail letter and phone tag, Chris, time which would be so much better spent at getting 88 or so county fairgrounds UNposted around Ohio, or something else maybe. :wink:
Very well could be!
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
knightowl

Post by knightowl »

Received anther email today
Jeff, Thank you bringing this to our attention, we have asked our legal council to provide us with the correct language for our signs. Please note that the word firearms has been covered up temporarily while we look into a permanent fix for the sign.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Golf clap. Good job. Let us know what the permanent fix is.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB