The Andersons

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The Andersons

Post by carmen fovozzo »

jacksnack wrote:IIRC, in 2008 (the last time I was at the store) they had a GB sign at eh Columbus Store. After SB184 passed and the wine tasting was no longer an issue, I sent an email asking them to remove the sign. I never got a response.

Maybe now they finally get it.

..I go to that store at least once a year and also the one, duh, can't remember the street, but both in the Columbus area. Never seen a sign....SawMill road I think...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
jacksnack wrote:IIRC, in 2008 (the last time I was at the store) they had a GB sign at eh Columbus Store. After SB184 passed and the wine tasting was no longer an issue, I sent an email asking them to remove the sign. I never got a response.

Maybe now they finally get it.

..I go to that store at least once a year and also the one, duh, can't remember the street, but both in the Columbus area. Never seen a sign....SawMill road I think...
That is the Bent Tree store. Like I said, and others have pointed out, the GB sign was on the bulletin board to the right when you walked through the first set of doors. I walked by it many times before noticing it. And then I did not buy another thing from them until this week.
BlueMR2

Post by BlueMR2 »

Wondering if I prompted any MWAG calls there today on Talmadge... Needed to pick up some items at Andersons on the way home from one of my volunteer jobs today, so I just left the gun in the car to avoid any wine tasting problems. Didn't park too far out, but in between the 2 doors where there are typically very few cars. Not many people around at all today anyways. Getting back in the car, looked around, just a couple cars nearby, no people anywhere near me, tons of spots right by the doors. Retrieve the gun from the glove box and right as I'm pulling it across the center console a van zooms up and parks right behind me and a guy pops out from behind another car and is looking straight in the side of my car. Sigh. People NEVER come out and park in the middle of nowhere by me *except* when I'm trying to move the gun to/from the glovebox... Can't wait for the new law to take effect as that will eliminate that entire problem for me!
dlgeorge

Post by dlgeorge »

You mean all this time I've been breaking the law? I open carry at the Talmadge store all the time. I always look for the gunbuster sign, but never stood at the door reading every single little sign looking for any other reference to guns.

Also, with a concealed permit, you can carry inside even if there is wine tasting as long as you're not consuming, right?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

dlgeorge wrote:Also, with a concealed permit, you can carry inside even if there is wine tasting as long as you're not consuming, right?
There are various opinions on this, but all will be OK on Oct. 1.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

dlgeorge wrote:You mean all this time I've been breaking the law? I open carry at the Talmadge store all the time. I always look for the gunbuster sign, but never stood at the door reading every single little sign looking for any other reference to guns.

Also, with a concealed permit, you can carry inside even if there is wine tasting as long as you're not consuming, right?

Only can carry there if they are only posting the liquor control sign. If they post an actual blanket "no guns" sign and you are aware of it you can't carry there.

"Knowingly"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
BlueMR2

Post by BlueMR2 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
dlgeorge wrote:Also, with a concealed permit, you can carry inside even if there is wine tasting as long as you're not consuming, right?

Only can carry there if they are only posting the liquor control sign. If they post an actual blanket "no guns" sign and you are aware of it you can't carry there.
No gun buster sign, but I don't want to possibly get caught up in a mess from walking into a wine-tasting. I have no idea when they do those, or where they do it. The definition of the wine-tasting area could become an issue. Just not safe (legally speaking) to carry there unless you're totally up to speed on their schedule, etc.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The wine tastings are usually limited to a particular portion of the store. Consensus here on the forum is that carry licensees are good to go if they stay out of that area.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Go to Ohio liqour control site and see what permit they have. If it is a D-8 your golden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Guitarman3366

Post by Guitarman3366 »

The Andersons corporate policy is to follow the state law. Concealed carry is permitted, as is open carry. However, as many here know, corporate policy seems to matter little to an overzealous store manager or employee who might over-react to an armed citizen.

Wine tastings occur with little regularity; sometimes if it is busy in the store they will crack open a bottle and offer tastings. According to state law, so long as you don't partake, you are legal (regardless of your proximity to the tasting).

The Andersons never had a traditional "gun-buster" sign posted. They did have the sign which stated that the establishment held a liquor license and that carrying a firearm could be a felony posted at the doors. The store and corporate policy was to immediately notify the police if a weapon was witnessed on a customer. That policy has since been changed to accommodate state laws.
Ron Paul 2012
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Guitarman3366 wrote:The Andersons never had a traditional "gun-buster" sign posted.
I have a picture of the one that was posted at the Bent Tree/Sawmill store in Columbus. It is amongst my 8700+ other pictures. When I happen to see it someday, I'll post it.

The other Anderson's store on the east side of Columbus was also posted back in the day. I went there only once, saw the GB sign and left. I do not remember where the sign was but I think other people have written that it was on the front door.

KC
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

There is NO ISSUE with carrying in Andersons during a wine tasting. Hasn't been one for a while.

Please refer to ORC 2923.121 B (1) (e):
Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Guitarman3366

Post by Guitarman3366 »

kcclark wrote:
Guitarman3366 wrote:The Andersons never had a traditional "gun-buster" sign posted.
I have a picture of the one that was posted at the Bent Tree/Sawmill store in Columbus. It is amongst my 8700+ other pictures. When I happen to see it someday, I'll post it.

The other Anderson's store on the east side of Columbus was also posted back in the day. I went there only once, saw the GB sign and left. I do not remember where the sign was but I think other people have written that it was on the front door.

KC

I did not know that about those stores. The 4 in the Toledo area never had the trditional signs.
Ron Paul 2012
BlueMR2

Post by BlueMR2 »

charben wrote:There is NO ISSUE with carrying in Andersons during a wine tasting. Hasn't been one for a while.

Please refer to ORC 2923.121 B (1) (e):
Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.
Good to know. It's so confusing with all the various types of permits that I gave up trying to figure it out and just don't carry anywhere there might be alcohol. I'll just add Andersons to my "good to go" list.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

It has been awhile since this got updated. I was by the Columbus store on Bent Tree yesterday. Stopped in to see the signage. Could not find the gun buster sign where it used to be or anywhere else. So that location is currently a go.

They did have the liquor control sign on the bulletin board.