OhioCCW Forums Changes

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: OhioCCW Forums Changes

Post by Cruiser »

Brian D. wrote:
charben wrote:
Cruiser wrote:The Forum IS the most active part of OFCC!
Have you been to the Main Site lately? See much new?
I seldom visit it because there rarely anything new to see.
I suppose that depends on your definition of "active." If you are talking about flow of information, you are probably true. If you are talking about work for "the cause" going on, you are not even close.
Chris, I have to agree with Cruiser's point. After all, it is kinda tough for mere members/forumites to see things that are going on "behind the scenes", no? Sometimes, at both places, no updates on certain items are passed along for many weeks, or months.
I may have mis-spoken. I usually look for something new on the Home page. I just came from there and checked "behind the scenes" (drop downs) as you say. Most of what I saw would deffinatly be of use to a new browser but for an old timer like me most of what is new I already read here on the Forum or on BFA's news page.
Last edited by Cruiser on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

OFCC has asked countless times for volunteers to help write articles for the Main Page.
As was mentioned, not much activity...

There ya ago.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jake wrote:OFCC has asked countless times for volunteers to help write articles for the Main Page.

There ya ago.
Well, okay Jake. I'd probably not be the very best person for that task, but let's say hypothetically I'm volunteering. What sort of rules/parameters/limitations would that entail? Please, just lay them all out here, or in another thread, okay? Might as well just spell out the "job description" for all to see, fair enough?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Brian D. wrote:
Jake wrote:OFCC has asked countless times for volunteers to help write articles for the Main Page.

There ya ago.
Well, okay Jake. I'd probably not be the very best person for that task, but let's say hypothetically I'm volunteering. What sort of rules/parameters/limitations would that entail? Please, just lay them all out here, or in another thread, okay? Might as well just spell out the "job description" for all to see, fair enough?
Should pertain to the organization's mission in some fashion.
Submissions can be forwarded thru pm's.

If a relationship develops and the writer becomes a regular contributor, we can proceed from there.

With that said, anyone interested can contact me or forward articles to me.
Let's not discuss this topic further in this thread please.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blah

Post by blah »

We've heard time and again how there is a lot that goes on "behind the scenes"

Would it be too much to ask for some kind of periodic updates about what is going on? I have a feeling this is part of what is being talked about as far as a lack of information on the main website as opposed to on the forums.
~ Glen

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Here's the deal.

I hate to be blunt but this thread (from this point on) is strictly about the forum changes that were announced in the OP.
Posts off topic are subject to modding.

If you've not found an answer in any of the 3 million posts on this thread regarding the original topic, you just "ain't'' gonna find it.

Thanks.

dsk
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by dsk »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
dsk wrote:That information will not be made public, so it's academic, but I think it's a wise position for OFCC to decline to publicize that information.

Whether a number seems large or small is purely a matter of perspective, isn't it? I can make any reasonable number seem small in comparison to another number. Membership rolls can easily be used to belittle an organization. Even the NRA has a minority position in that game.
I think it is someone relevant. The number may not be. But the fact that it's been mentioned that this organization would exist and have the name that it does without the forum I disagree with. The forum promotes the organization and gives a reason for people to stay and support the organization. If you want to prove us otherwise, then give us an accurate percent. How many active paying members are on the forum vs not?
That information will simply not be forthcoming. Sorry. But you can believe that we all enjoy the forum. And as far as assisting people with compliance, this forum might be the most useful tool in the entire state. Try to stump Jabeatty or BobK, or any number of others. If it were worthless, none of us would be here. So the forum is useful and important to me and I'll bet that goes for you as well. But, I bet we also have lots of members who don't care if we shut it off, so long as we pass restaurant carry. I have good friends that are gun nuts, concealed carry guys, who are interested in 2a issues and politics AND they know that I am active here, and they never look at the forum, ever. To them, it's one step away from hanging out on facebook which, to them, is one step removed from playing dungeons and dragons in their parents' basement. No offense to facebookers and D&D players.
Pay your dues.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Jake wrote:Here's the deal.

I hate to be blunt but this thread (from this point on) is strictly about the forum changes that were announced in the OP.
Posts off topic are subject to modding.
Here's the deal, Jake.

I hate to be blunt, as well, but I've made the following post twice, (this will be the third time) and it hasn't been answered, at all. It's on topic, and IMO, deserves more than just being ignored.

Thank you for your consideration.
Chuck wrote:I guess I'm not clear on the "protest walk" part of the meet and greets. We meet quite a bit in Licking County and I'd never call them a "protest". Nor would I call any of the OC meets I've seen talked about lately as "protests" either. Folks are meeting at Cracker Barrels and coffee shops and burger joints.

Your forum has just been a good way to get the word out, for our group, at least. We could all private email each other, or something, but posting it on a forum like this oftens brings new people to the meet. When we went to EastLake last year, now that could be called a protest, (we were prepared to be arrested) but not anything recently. Not even this weekend in BeaverCreek is a protest, but more of a meet, greet, and eat. Perhaps there can be a standard issue disclaimer that we can use to say it's NOT OFCC sanctioned?

To be quite honest, OFCC brass is too tight of a knit group to allow someone like me to host an official meet. And the group is too small to host meets themselves around the state with any kind of regularity, so it's good for the small informal groups of members here to get together informally. I hope you will allow us to continue to post and host our own meet and greets. I, for one, will post any disclaimers you want me too just to be able to use your forum as a media of communication.

Thank you,

Chuck
I want to post an upcoming meet in Licking County and I am waiting for a response before I do. May I do so without violating TOS and/or having my post removed?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Chuck,

To be blunt...... :lol:

Anyways, for now I suggest pming a Coord/Mod the general details and we can go from their.
It's a hectic week and we're still tweaking the template for the M&G submission.

Best I can do for now.

charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Jake wrote:Chuck,

To be blunt...... :lol:

Anyways, for now I suggest pming a Coord/Mod the general details and we can go from their.
It's a hectic week and we're still tweaking the template for the M&G submission.

Best I can do for now.
I PM'd Chuck.

For everyone reading this thread, Jake's point was that we are noticing some gripes being posted multiple times. I will put this offer out there: IF YOU HAVE WHAT YOU CONSIDER TO BE AN UNANSWERED CONCERN, PM ME. It seems right now that this thread is developing into a general "let's bash OFCC for this...and that...and that...and this..."

I can only say that we really are trying to do what is right by this organization. We didn't take on these changes for the fun of it...because let me tell you, having to read all this has not been fun. We knew we'd catch some flak and we were as prepared as could be...but it still takes its toll.

Yes, there have been legitimate concerns that have brought to light as a result of this discussion and I can tell you that those concerns are being discussed right now as to how we best address them. So, yes, we do listen...

However, I will join Jake in saying that any further comments on this thread that are not constructive, professional, or are just downright rude will be deleted without notice. Bashing OFCC or the Coords/Mods doesn't exactly motivate us to want to give consideration to your point of view.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

I guess I have already violated the new policies twice as I have had atleast one thread and one post pulled without even so much as a PM from who did it.

If thats how things are done now I'll take my limited funds, little blog blog and youtube channel and go elsewhere.

I spend COUNTLESS hours promoting gun rights and doing activities and meeting many people, so I feel parting company is more OFCC's loss than mine.

Later.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

rottman43055 wrote:I guess I have already violated the new policies twice as I have had atleast one thread and one post pulled without even so much as a PM from who did it.

If thats how things are done now I'll take my limited funds, little blog blog and youtube channel and go elsewhere.

I spend COUNTLESS hours promoting gun rights and doing activities and meeting many people, so I feel parting company is more OFCC's loss than mine.

Later.
For the love of......The TOS.
Everyone please re-read it before posting. http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My time is being consumed enough on this thread, let alone other threads that need attention.
I'm not pm'ing everyone tonight who's been modded. I don't have time.
Our volunteer moderators are doing their jobs and being abused is not part of the job. If you receive a warning about forum post, or find your post missing or edited, please think twice before you send a belligerent email. While occasionally a moderator may inform a user about a violation, or post a general warning to a forum, photo gallery, or chat room, we have no policy guaranteeing that anyone will be warned about violations on their account, nor any specific number or type of violations that may result in action against their account.

I can say that we're not stopping anyone from leaving. That is your choice.
If you're not willing to abide by the TOS you agreed to, so be it.

Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

This thread is making me sad. =(

We're all on the same team! Yes, there are some things that need to be ironed out but do the mods/coords think the 2A should be repealed? No. :lol: Alot of ideas etc. have been aired. So now we wait and see right?
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

charben wrote: I can only say that we really are trying to do what is right by this organization. We didn't take on these changes for the fun of it...because let me tell you, having to read all this has not been fun. We knew we'd catch some flak and we were as prepared as could be...but it still takes its toll.

Yes, there have been legitimate concerns that have brought to light as a result of this discussion and I can tell you that those concerns are being discussed right now as to how we best address them. So, yes, we do listen...

However, I will join Jake in saying that any further comments on this thread that are not constructive, professional, or are just downright rude will be deleted without notice. Bashing OFCC or the Coords/Mods doesn't exactly motivate us to want to give consideration to your point of view.

It is obvious that OFCC management is overloaded.

We are told that the forums are only a small part of OFCC. Most of us do not understand that (we see the forums as encompassing most of OFCC) but for now I will accept it. Communications seems to be an issue.

As JediSkipdogg suggested, the forums need more moderators. The forums need moderators who are not tied down with OFCC coordinating duties. Free up the Coordinators by adding forum moderators whose only duty is to help run the forums. Maybe have one or two Coordinators oversee/advise the Moderators, but free up the rest of the Coordinators to do their coordinating jobs without being tied down and involved in day to day forum moderating. (The official list shows Evan as the only moderator who is not a coordinator).
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

superpsy wrote:This thread is making me sad. =(

We're all on the same team! Yes, there are some things that need to be ironed out but do the mods/coords think the 2A should be repealed? No. :lol: Alot of ideas etc. have been aired. So now we wait and see right?
Please and thank you.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."