Renewing after the 2nd time.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

doc832

Renewing after the 2nd time.

Post by doc832 »

I was just given a new CHL AG book by an instructor and was reading it. It states that you just need to show "range competencies" from a range officer. It doesn't say anything about having to take another course. So I am curious if you will be able to go to a range, fire 50-100 rnds and get a cert that says you are safe to use a firearm? I have 4 yrs to look into it, however, I would like to keep track of my range time if it counts.
40 and 45 cal rounds are not getting any cheaper. Any thoughts?
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Doc832
Defense is a human right and a skill the strong maintain. Strength does not come from muscle or size, its a matter of personality. Every Free man should understand why He is free.
Brian D.

Re: Renewing after the 2nd time.

Post by Brian D. »

The recertification shooting will have to be witnessed and signed off on by an instructor. Documenting your other range time wouldn't be of any use in that regard.

But who says all your practice--or recertification for that matter--must be done using .40 or .45 ammo?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

The law may change again in another 18 months. We might as well wait and see what it is when the time comes for the second renewal, we may end up with lifetime licenses (in another millenium :wink: )
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
doc832

Post by doc832 »

I am taking a private combat course soon so I will see if I can be signed off for that. Planning a vacation to Front Sight in Sept as well so I am sure I can get something from there. Just not looking forward to sitting in a class for 10 hrs.
Thanks for the replies.
Doc832
Defense is a human right and a skill the strong maintain. Strength does not come from muscle or size, its a matter of personality. Every Free man should understand why He is free.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

doc832 wrote:I am taking a private combat course soon so I will see if I can be signed off for that. Planning a vacation to Front Sight in Sept as well so I am sure I can get something from there. Just not looking forward to sitting in a class for 10 hrs.
Thanks for the replies.
Doc832

If I read the statute correctly the range certification for renewal needs to take place with in 3 years of the renewal application. Depending on your expiration date September may not be with in 3 years.
(B)(3) One or more of the following competency certifications, each of which shall reflect that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), (e), or (f) of this section, within the three years immediately preceding the application the applicant has performed that to which the competency certification relates and that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(d) of this section, the applicant currently is an active or reserve member of the armed forces of the United States or within the six years immediately preceding the application the honorable discharge or retirement to which the competency certification relates occurred:

(a) An original or photocopy of a certificate of completion of a firearms safety, training, or requalification or firearms safety instructor course, class, or program that was offered by or under the auspices of the national rifle association and that complies with the requirements set forth in division (G) of this section;

(b) An original or photocopy of a certificate of completion of a firearms safety, training, or requalification or firearms safety instructor course, class, or program that satisfies all of the following criteria:

(i) It was open to members of the general public.

(ii) It utilized qualified instructors who were certified by the national rifle association, the executive director of the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.75 or 109.78 of the Revised Code, or a governmental official or entity of another state.

(iii) It was offered by or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency of this or another state or the United States, a public or private college, university, or other similar postsecondary educational institution located in this or another state, a firearms training school located in this or another state, or another type of public or private entity or organization located in this or another state.

(iv) It complies with the requirements set forth in division (G) of this section.

(c) An original or photocopy of a certificate of completion of a state, county, municipal, or department of natural resources peace officer training school that is approved by the executive director of the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.75 of the Revised Code and that complies with the requirements set forth in division (G) of this section, or the applicant has satisfactorily completed and been issued a certificate of completion of a basic firearms training program, a firearms requalification training program, or another basic training program described in section 109.78 or 109.801 of the Revised Code that complies with the requirements set forth in division (G) of this section;

(G)(4) A person who previously has received a competency certification as described in division (B)(3) of this section, or who previously has received a renewed competency certification as described in this division, may obtain a renewed competency certification pursuant to this division. If the person previously has received a competency certification or previously has received a renewed competency certification , the person may obtain a renewed competency certification from an entity that offers a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section by passing a test that demonstrates that the person is range competent. In these circumstances, the person is not required to attend the course, class, or program or to take the competency examination described in division (G)(2) of this section for the renewed competency certification in order to be eligible to receive a renewed competency certification. A renewed competency certification issued under this division shall be dated and shall attest that the person has demonstrated range competency.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
doc832

Post by doc832 »

My renewal took place 5/08 and I am assuming that I need to just keep track of certs
in the up coming years to renew in 5 yrs. So I will have to come up with something further down the road.
Thanks for the detailed info.
Merry Christmas
doc832