CUT UP CITIBANK CARDS! Citi refuses CDNN & firearms sale

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I already terminated one Citi card I had in my billfold today, and I am going to do the same to the other one when I get home.

I really don't care what excuse they dream up to justify this letter, or damage-control that they try to spin on us. The true colors of this reptile have been exposed for all to see.

It's high time that we stand up to this kind of crap.
Gun ownership is LEGAL and nothing to be ashamed of or hide from.

If Citi says they don't want our business, then the milions of gun owning Americans need to make their voices heard loud and clear by abandoning their services en masse.

With the way the economy is, there are lots of other creditors who want to assume Citi's position.

Let's help someone else who wants us as customers.

DOWN WITH CITI!
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

evan price wrote:I already terminated one Citi card I had in my billfold today, and I am going to do the same to the other one when I get home.

I really don't care what excuse they dream up to justify this letter, or damage-control that they try to spin on us. The true colors of this reptile have been exposed for all to see.

It's high time that we stand up to this kind of crap.
Gun ownership is LEGAL and nothing to be ashamed of or hide from.

If Citi says they don't want our business, then the milions of gun owning Americans need to make their voices heard loud and clear by abandoning their services en masse.

With the way the economy is, there are lots of other creditors who want to assume Citi's position.

Let's help someone else who wants us as customers.

DOWN WITH CITI!
Careful! There has been consolidation in the credit card processing industry in the past few years; as a result, consumers are (indirectly) left with fewer choices. What I'm getting at is: even if you cancel your credit card and get another card from a different provider, that provider may in fact use Citi Merchant Services or First Data Merchant Services. The quote in the OP suggests the following:
To change to an NSSF-affiliated credit card processing program, contact Payment Alliance International at 1-866-371-2273 (ext. 1131).
So before you run out & and get another card, you have to beforehand determine if they use an NSSF-affiliated service.
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I work in the credit card industry.

I know who issues and processes the cards I hold.

A valid point, nonetheless.

Citi and JP Morgan Chase are behind most of the consumer cards in the US.

There are some which are neither issued nor serviced by Citi which can be considered.

JP Morgan Chase, MBNA and HSBC come directly to mind. Also Discover.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I buy guns and gun stuff with my Citi cards all the time. I don't think it's an anti-gun thing, though that very well could be. I think it's an anti CDNN/anti-merchant thing. Merchant accounts are bad news anyway. Many merchants are starting to charge extra to credit card users to cover the fee the bank charges them to process the transaction.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

If you're going to cancel your cards in protest, make sure you send a letter explaining the reason. Otherwise, they won't get the message.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Here is the response from Citi that was promised to me yesterday during my conversation with Mr. Tenenbaum.
Thank you for your message. The posting at www.nssf.org regarding Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. is inaccurate. Further, while we generally do not comment on individual merchant customers, we would like to briefly address the 12/26 letter posted on the web site. Regretfully, that letter did a less than satisfactory job of expressing applicable policies. Those policies are more properly detailed below.

Citi Merchant Services and First Data do process firearms transactions. Our policy restrictions address only the sale of firearms in a non face-to-face environment. Non face-to-face transactions occur when a cardholder is not present in front of a merchant and includes mail order and online purchases. It is our policy not to service merchants that make non face-to-face sales in a number of industries, including firearms.

It is not the policy of Citi Merchant Services or First Data to refuse to process transactions from duly licensed merchants that sell firearms in face-to-face transactions at the point of sale.

The posting also incorrectly states that Robert Tenenbaum is the supervisor when, in fact, he is not.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Here is my reply to Citi's response:
Hello and thank you for the response. However, although you clarify your policies with regard to face-to-face transactions regarding firearms, I am curious as to WHY you feel those restrictions are necessary. Perhaps you are unaware that I, as someone who is NOT a licensed dealer, cannot purchase a firearm and have it delivered directly to me. For example, if I were to purchase a firearm from the company in question (CDNN--as I have previously), I would have to provide them the details of a licensed dealer near me for them to ship the firearm. CDNN would process my transaction...it happened to be by credit card...and then ship the handgun to the licensed dealer near me after verifying that the dealer was legitimate. I would then have to visit the receiving dealer and complete the necessary paperwork--as if I had purchased the firearm there--and be "cleared" by the government to be able to take possession of my firearm. Your policies prohibiting clearing credit card transactions for non face-to-face transactions will hurt law abiding citizens who wish to purchase firearms in this manner. In addition, it will dramatically affect the business of firms like CDNN who have to maintain strict adherance to the law to stay in business. Your policies will NOT, in any way, prevent firearms from getting into the hands of criminals. To think so would be naive.

If this is your position, and I assume it is based on your response, then be assured that this news will spread and there will be many cancellations of credit cards serviced by Citi Merchant Services and First Data. We will simply use methods offered by your competitors to continue doing business with firms like CDNN.

Sincerely,

Christopher HARBEN
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Johnny45

Post by Johnny45 »

Maybe not as bad as first thought? Read cphilip's thread
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807503
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for, then there must be nothing in your life worth living for.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

evan price wrote:There are some which are neither issued nor serviced by Citi which can be considered.

JP Morgan Chase, MBNA and HSBC come directly to mind. Also Discover.
FYI: I believe Bank of America owns MBNA now.
Tither

Post by Tither »

Jan 31st.

More on Citibank
Story here. It terminated the account of a licensed firearms dealer, and is withholding $75,000 of it, and is giving conflicting, and rather foolish, explanations. First, the ground was that he was making illegal sales to persons in other states. NSSF pointed out that's perfectly lawful, so long as he ships to a licensed dealer in the other state, for pickup there (interstate *sale* is lawful, it's the *delivery* that is controlled). Then it says it has some sort of policy against non-face-to-face sales, but only in certain types of businesses. Which policy was probably invented after the first justification was proven wrong.
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CUT UP CITIBANK CARDS! Citi refuses CDNN & firearms sale

Post by kcclark »

I got rid of all my Citi cards early this year but the wife still has a Shell Oil MC. Latest bill got lost in the shuffle and was due today. I drove the payment down to the Citibank payment processing center on the southwest side of Columbus (1500 Boltonfield St, 43228) to avoid the late fee. Usual no guns sign was prominently displayed on the door you have to use to submit the payment. Another reason to not do business with Citibank.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re:

Post by Daniel »

charben wrote:I just spoke with Mr. Tenenbaum who says that he is NOT Ms. Rivera-Mantilla's supervisor. However, he took my email address because the company is going to release a statement either today or tomorrow to "the site that put this out there". I informed him that this is all over the web right now and he assured me that I would personally get a copy of the release. When/if I do, I will certainly post here.
Please email it to me if you do get it. I'll get something up on the website (busy day today and I can't guarantee I'll be checking the forums).

Thanks!
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

If you do a search here on Citibank, you come up with this thread and another thread about Citibank thumbing their nose at gun business in 2000. Seems like Citibank makes a splash about not doing business with firearms industry and then quietly gets back in the biz. Anyway, article today about how once again they are going anti-gun.
Citigroup will require its clients and business customers not to sell a firearm to anyone who hasn’t passed a background check or anyone under the age of 21. They also will not allow its customers to sell what are known as bump stocks and high-capacity magazines. Businesses who do not comply with these new restrictions will have their Citi banking relationship eventually wound down.
http://www.dispatch.com/zz/news/2018032 ... -gun-sales
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Can't be viewed. Behind a pay wall.
kcclark wrote:If you do a search here on Citibank, you come up with this thread and another thread about Citibank thumbing their nose at gun business in 2000. Seems like Citibank makes a splash about not doing business with firearms industry and then quietly gets back in the biz. Anyway, article today about how once again they are going anti-gun.
Citigroup will require its clients and business customers not to sell a firearm to anyone who hasn’t passed a background check or anyone under the age of 21. They also will not allow its customers to sell what are known as bump stocks and high-capacity magazines. Businesses who do not comply with these new restrictions will have their Citi banking relationship eventually wound down.
http://www.dispatch.com/zz/news/2018032 ... -gun-sales
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

WY_Not wrote:Can't be viewed. Behind a pay wall.
It was an AP story so it can be had in multiple places. If you have not used up your monthly free allotment on the Washington Post website:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html