LEAD SLINGERS... what Brinell hardness?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NordicRX8

LEAD SLINGERS... what Brinell hardness?

Post by NordicRX8 »

Hello all,

I was wondering if those who reload lead have any concerns over the hardness of the projectiles you shoot.

I'm not concerned about it for shooting .45 auto, as I normally shoot at "target" velocities, but being the proud owner of two different weapons that chamber the .460 Rowland, I'm planning on pushing these bullets a little faster (1300-1600 fps). Whats the fastest I can push lead without gas checks on a 'typical' lead (if there is one) bullet. Is there a range of hardness everyone uses? Will and extremely hard bullet not seal properly against the bore (lands/grooves)?

Thanks!
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Typically I shoot bullets in the 18 brinell range for most pistols. These are going to be typically wheel weight alloys, 92/6/2. I try to keep under 1000 fps.
My 9mm I buy 21 brinell in order to push them at higher (FMJ) velocities. These are harder alloys, 90/8/2. I push them at close to 1200 fps with no gas checks. It is best to order them slightly oversized in order to assure yourself that they will fully seal the barrel.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I drop mine from the mold into cold water in a 5 gallon bucket with a terry clothe towel in the bottom.

I have never measured brinell hardness. The one nice thing about doing them this way is that the water prevents damage allowing me to get 500 or more in the bucket before I have to stop casting and pull them out.

I then dry them on a 2x4 frame covered with plastic window screen, this screen is sold as pet claw resistant.

Less anybody shriek about water near molten lead, the lead pot is 30" or more higher then the bucket of water.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).