RCBS piggyback for Rockchucker?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Thug Hunter

RCBS piggyback for Rockchucker?

Post by Thug Hunter »

Is anyone using it? I got a killer deal on the rockchucker several years ago, and use it to reload precision rifle rounds. With the price of pistol and .223 ammo, I am thinking about mass production.

I'd like opinions on the set up, and on whether I should just buy a whole new progressive system.

Thanks.
"Luckily, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency."- Foghorn Leghorn

"You can't arrest somebody for that. The most you can do is mace him and let him get away."- Thug Hunter
thorn

Post by thorn »

How much does it cost?

edit: this one?

thorn
mauser

Post by mauser »

For the same price you can get an auto indexing Hornady L-N-L AP and it comes with 1,000 free bullets.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter »

mauser wrote:For the same price you can get an auto indexing Hornady L-N-L AP and it comes with 1,000 free bullets.
Do you have one? What do you think?
"Luckily, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency."- Foghorn Leghorn

"You can't arrest somebody for that. The most you can do is mace him and let him get away."- Thug Hunter
mauser

Post by mauser »

Yes, I have had one for years and love it. The L-N-L allows for very quick change between calibers and the powder measure can change stations if necessary. Mine has been relatively maintenance free. It will also use any standard sized dies making it the most versatile out there as well.

When I looked at progressives a few years ago and settled on the Hornady, I also looked at RCBS and Dillon 500 and 600 series (i don't remember the actual models that were current at the time, maybe 550 or550b and 650). Anyway, I really liked the RCBS APS primer feed. I still think it is the best primer system going. I rejected the RCBS press only because it was not auto indexing. The Dillon's are nice but do not compare to the Hornady. The 550 is comparable in price but is not auto indexing. Caliber conversions will also cost around $70 not including dies. The 650 is closer in comparison to the Hornady in feature. It is auto indexing and also has 5 stations. Conversion kits to change calibers are also expensive and the press itself costs almost $200 more.

Whichever features you are looking at though, with the price of bullets these days, Hornady's free bullet offer will put the net cost of their press at about $90. You just can't beat that.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
thorn

Post by thorn »

Count me as another happy LNL-AP owner.

thorn