"Open Carry Walk" in Urbana, Ohio on April 19th.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Michael

"Open Carry Walk" in Urbana, Ohio on April 19th.

Post by Michael »

A Buddy and I were talking yesterday. April 19th is Patriots' Day, and he was thinking of putting together an "Open Carry Walk" in downtown Urbana, Ohio on that day. Anyone else interested in participating?

We will contact the Urbana PD and Champaign County SO beforehand to let them know about it. The starting time will be 10:00 AM. A starting location has yet to be decided on. Afterwards we were thinking of having a party/celebration of sorts.

Michael
Champaign County, Ohio
[Personal contact information deleted - Please use the PM function - JK]
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

Is this some type of parade. Is there some kind of festival going on in Urbana?

I feel in this type of event we should be there to educate the public, with some type of literature and information.

I don't think going to just walk around with our guns will be good for the cause. If we have a specific agenda then I'm up for it.

Let me know, I only live in Englewood, which is about a 35 to 40 min drive.
fisher

Re: "Open Carry Walk" in Urbana, Ohio on April 19t

Post by fisher »

Michael wrote: Afterwards we were thinking of having a party/celebration of sorts.
Why not skip the parade, and just have an open carry picnic at a public park? Normal people, doing normal things while armed. Now that we have preemption, people can carry freely throughout OH, so I guess I just don't see the point in the walk part. You can just open carry and go about your business.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeACP

Post by MikeACP »

Now that we have preemption
I admit I'm a little behind the times. What does this mean?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

MikeACP wrote:
Now that we have preemption
I admit I'm a little behind the times. What does this mean?
Preemption was part of HB347's CHL improvement. Basically, it means that local laws can't be any stricter than state laws when it comes to owning/possessing/carrying a firearm. State law now PREEMPTS local law on this matter.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
MikeACP

Post by MikeACP »

Thank you, the legal term through me off.
almega

Post by almega »

Would it be out of the ordinary to go with a rifle slung across your back? Just curious if anyones done that before :)
Colonel: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Robert: It keeps me warm.

"I've seen officers pull the weapons and their finger goes right on the trigger! BAD COP!, NO DONUT!" - Dr. Winston
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Let me ask, what is the reason for the walk?

Generally the marches convey a message to onlookers and the like. The open carry march to the Capital was to start CCW legislation. I don't really see a need here.

I think perhaps a picnic, as mentioned earlier might make more sense.
Michael

Post by Michael »

jacksnack wrote:Let me ask, what is the reason for the walk?
To demonstrate we have such liberties and to educate the public.

We should occasionally exercise our freedoms even if we do not "need" to use them. We should occasionally exercise them for no other reason than to remind people that we have them. If we do not occasionally exercise our freedoms, "they" will think they're not important, and you will soon find that it's illegal to do so.
Lthrnck wrote:I feel in this type of event we should be there to educate the public, with some type of literature and information.
Yes, we also plan on handing out information.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
therealsteamer

Post by therealsteamer »

Sounds interesting.....! What time frame were you guys thinking...?
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

Mike,

It sounds interesting. I would agree to participate. Could you elaborate a bit more on what your toughts are for the day. Maybe post some kind of Agenda. Maybe plan a little shooting time, ON THE RANGE GUYS AND DOLLS, not at the ANTIS... LOL..

My son works in Enon, I have to drive him back and forth at this time so coming up to Urbana would not be that much further.

INPUT MIKE... NEED MORE INPUT.. <GG>
almega

Post by almega »

Lthrnck wrote:Mike,

It sounds interesting. I would agree to participate. Could you elaborate a bit more on what your toughts are for the day. Maybe post some kind of Agenda. Maybe plan a little shooting time, ON THE RANGE GUYS AND DOLLS, not at the ANTIS... LOL..

My son works in Enon, I have to drive him back and forth at this time so coming up to Urbana would not be that much further.

INPUT MIKE... NEED MORE INPUT.. <GG>
If you do plan a shoot, try to find a machinegun friendly range, this is the first year I'll have one for patriots day and I want to shoot it then :D
Colonel: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Robert: It keeps me warm.

"I've seen officers pull the weapons and their finger goes right on the trigger! BAD COP!, NO DONUT!" - Dr. Winston
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

Bump....

So Michael what's going on..???
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

I won't be participating (too far), but I like the idea of just doing normal every day things. Even better: do something positive. Here is a video where eleven folks from the Free State Project got together for snow and ice removal of a neighborhood's sidewalks and even driveway aprons, all while open carrying. And another doing an open-carry litter clean up project in Manchester's dirtiest neighborhood.

And if you have lots of time to kill, you may be interested in seeing a video of a cop confronting a legal open carry and how the guy handles the situation.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

mrbone wrote: And if you have lots of time to kill, you may be interested in seeing a video of a cop confronting a legal open carry and how the guy handles the situation.
Whoa! That guy was a lot more cool than I would have been with such a stop. Interesting, informative, and impressive!
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.