Plain sight -OSHP

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Plain sight -OSHP

Post by Cruiser »

Below is a email that I sent to OSHP websight contact. And their answer.
Question/Comment: In this article in The Vindicater http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regi ... 468976.php
Lt. Rick Zwayer, spokesman for the patrol. Stated: "It's well understood, what that means to law enforcement and judges," Zwayer said. "Its well defined as to what plain sight is. It's clear to law enforcement officers and troopers."
Please explain it to me. It has not been defined to the CHL holder. We have been left out in the cold trying to figure what "plain sight" is. Is it the same as the defination for seeing drugs or contriband in a vehicle? As I understand it that use of "plain sight" means that if you can see any part of "it" from any vantage point, then it is in "plain sight"!
Your help would be apreciated.
The Ohio Attorney General has provided guidance on the issue of plain sight. He states, "Courts have generally held that the term 'plain sight' is a common sense term that means clearly visible or unobstructed." Information can be obtained by visiting the AG's website at www.ag.state.oh.us
Not much help are they!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Plain sight -OSHP

Post by TunnelRat »

Cruiser wrote:Not much help are they!
It's not their job to help you. It is their job to harass and arrest you...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Scott

Re: Plain sight -OSHP

Post by Scott »

tommcnaughton wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Not much help are they!
It's not their job to help you. It is their job to harass and arrest you...
Well, there's more of us than there are of them...a little good will could go along way...a little ill will even further.
Blip!
EE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Plain Sight

Post by EE »

This plain sight thing gets more absurd the more I hear about it. I am right handed so I wear my holster my right hip. Already my body is blocking an officer's view when he is at the driver's side window. Furthermore, my seatbelt/shoulder harness partially covers the holster and pistol making them even more difficult to see.

Perhaps a *cross draw shoulder harness worn outside of any coat or jacket I might wear would meet the requirement.

Keeping the pistol locked up anywhere in the vehicle negates the purpose of carrying IMO.

*This terminology may not be correct, but I hope you get the meaning from the context.
Member: OFCC, NRA (lifetime), USCCA, JPFO
"The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
- Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)
sharpshooter

Post by sharpshooter »

I'm so freaking frustrated by the lack of clarity in this law. How are we supposed to follow a law we don't understand?

Ryan
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

All these "plain sight" threads

Post by rickt »

"Plain sight" discussions and complaints are a frequent theme on this forum. Every time I read one, I can't help wondering if all the people who took the time to post their opinion about how much "plain sight" sucks, also took the time to write a letter to their state representative voicing their support for HB 347?

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of calling up my representative and asking her if my letter is the only one she has received.
mdad

Post by mdad »

TOUCHE!!!