Is National Reciprocity back on the table?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Is National Reciprocity back on the table?

Post by bignflnut »

I don't understand the timing of this article (written this week)
“The right of self-defense doesn’t stop at the end of your driveway,” President Trump said, in endorsing the proposed federal concealed-carry law. This legislation would require all states to recognize concealed-carry permits issued by any state. It passed the U.S. House and will be debated in the next Congress. ALL elected officials should have the backs of lawful Americans who wish to avoid becoming victims. Opponents of this legislation will justifiably be seen by likely voters as anti-victim and pro-perp.
Trump said this, yes, many moons ago (2015). Did he express it again recently (like, this week)?

What relevance does this article have that it would be published in early 2019?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Is National Reciprocity back on the table?

Post by Javelin Man »

nancy would never let it go to committee much less to the floor.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Javelin Man wrote:nancy would never let it go to committee much less to the floor.
Pelosi's no idiot. If you look at her legislative history you'll find that she's quite pragmatic on issues that she actually cares about. It's the Republicans and their "take it or leave it" attitude that frequently go home with nothing to show for it.

I could see it going somewhere, no doubt tied to something like universal background checks. Make no mistake, the House will pass legislation mandating universal background checks. Nancy and Chuck also know that like the reciprocity bill of last session, it has no chance in hell of getting through the Senate and President Trump standalone.

The question is whether they actually want universal background checks, or just want the optics of wanting it. If it's the former then I suspect there will be room for negotiation. If it's the latter it will be like Republicans' attempt to repeal ObamaCare - lots of highly visible and noisy votes but no plan to actually get it signed into law.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Universal Background Checks are a great “word” win by the Antis. Who wouldn’t want to be sure only legal buyers bought guns? I sure don’t want criminals to have guns.

But the 4473 is registration, since serial #s are on the form. Hop Skip Jump to a computer database with a change in the law.

Ask an Anti, “Fine I agree that there should be a Universal Background Check, An FOID card if you want that says I am a legal buyer (FOID without the “owner/keeps gun/registration” permission from the state part). But, I get to buy that gun without recording the serial # because if I’m legal, who cares? And, since I’m legally approved, I should be able to carry anywhere in the US, just like legal drivers can drive anywhere in the US. I’m state-approved as a legal gun owner.”

Somehow, I don’t see Everytown signing on to that one
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Mr. Glock wrote:Universal Background Checks are a great “word” win by the Antis. ... Somehow, I don’t see Everytown signing on to that one
Like most Democrats, Everytown is in it for the long haul.

Incidentally, National Park carry was brought to us in 2009 by a Democratic House with a Democratic Senate and signed by a Democratic president from anti-gun Illinois. Why? Because they wanted the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act to become law and it was the only way to avert a filibuster in the Senate. They could see the end game and were willing to concede on the margins to get what they wanted elsewhere.

Two years Republicans had full control of the legislative and executive branches and what did they accomplish? Jack poop unless you count the new bump stock ban. Republicans talk a good game but constantly find themselves outmaneuvered because of their inability to make paths to victory. Someone once said that Republicans are like the dog chasing the mail truck. They chase it for years barking and getting everyone all riled up. Then one day they catch it, and don't have the first clue what to do from there.