CA Supreme court upholds Micro-Stamping law / Gun ban

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

CA Supreme court upholds Micro-Stamping law / Gun ban

Post by Bruenor »

We don't care if it's technologically possible or not, it's the law !! what an idiotic ruling, I guess to be expected from that court.
California’s high court on Thursday sided with the state in a long-running case brought by firearms industry groups who say the state’s microstamping requirement is unattainable.

The case, challenging the state’s 2007 unsafe handgun modification requirements, pitted the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute against California Attorney General Xavier Becerra.

The gun groups argued the requirement for semi-auto handguns to mark cartridges with a microscopic array of characters, that identify the make, model and serial number of the pistol upon firing is “impossible to accomplish” and has only worked to artificially limit choices available to California gun buyers. The court, in a 19-page ruling, said that the law is the law, regardless of what was or wasn’t possible.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CA Supreme court upholds Micro-Stamping law / Gun ban

Post by Javelin Man »

I would hope that ammo makers honor this ruling and offer no ammunition to that state, ESPECIALLY to law enforcement. :evil:

And I don't mean that as a bash against LEO's, just want manufacturers to show they're not going to differentiate between law abiding citizens and anybody else.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

19 page opinion simply to say “we don’t care”.
Neither the text nor the purpose of the Act contemplates that a showing of impossibility can excuse compliance with the statutory requirement once the statute goes into effect.
The “logic” here is painful.
Javelin Man wrote:I would hope that ammo makers honor this ruling and offer no ammunition to that state, ESPECIALLY to law enforcement. :evil:
I would like to see this response from both firearms and ammunition manufacturers. But, of course, that is exactly what California anti-gun liberals want.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

It's not the ammunition, it's laser etching the firing pin so that it leaves a stamp on the primer. I can think of a few ways to circumvent this technology if it ever leaves the lab.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstamping[/url]
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I'm sorry officer, I didn't know that cleaning the carbon off my firing pin with sandpaper would do that..........
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

What this means is that no new gun models can be added to the Kalifornia list of approved guns that can be bought in the state.
Of course, this DOESN'T apply to LEOs.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

AlanM wrote:What this means is that no new gun models can be added to the Kalifornia list of approved guns that can be bought in the state.
Of course, this DOESN'T apply to LEOs.
Exactly, in effect a ban through attrition.
Calguns estimates that at the current rate the number of approved handguns will dwindle to practically zero within the next six years as those currently approved will fail to meet new requirements, leaving a state of some 38 million unable to purchase new semi-automatic handguns.
and from the Pena case prior to the CSC ruling
“The UHA does not adversely impact the access to and sale of firearms generally; plaintiffs’ Second Amendment rights are satisfied by the scheme’s allowing the purchase of nearly 1000 types of rostered firearms. This degree of regulation is negligible and does not burden plaintiffs’ rights under the Second Amendment,” wrote U.S. District Judge Kimberly J. Mueller, a 2010 appointment of President Barack Obama in the Pena case, brought by the Second Amendment Foundation and Calguns.
As for LEO's, this quote is brilliant.
Brandon Combs - Exec director Calguns:

“If handguns that are not on the roster are so unsafe, then why does California allow law enforcement officers to buy them for personal use?”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson