Kyle Kashuv NOT helping

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Kyle Kashuv NOT helping

Post by bignflnut »

Americans who educate themselves about mass shootings know that not a single gun control law pushed by left-wing activists would have stopped any of the recent high-profile tragedies. Instead of acknowledging this, or changing their tactic, or coming up with new ideas, the demands from the confiscation crowd just gets louder and louder. Do they not know that shouting is rarely an effective tactic?

The most unfortunate part of the never-ending push for gun control is that it distracts from pursuing real solutions. There are things we can do to reduce and prevent these atrocities from happening. But it doesn't involve taking firearms away from people who never have, and never will, commit a crime.

We need to get real about mental health care in this country.

SNIP
We all need to be educated on the warning signs of a person in crisis.
Kyle does a good job of teeing up the issue, and being compassionate in a general sense before getting to the meat of the argument.
We should take school security seriously. Gun-free zone signs don’t help. It’s absurd to think that they do. We protect our state houses, our sporting venues, and our concert halls with security. Why don’t we do the same for our children?
Agree that signs don't help. Neither does holding up "secure" places that are citizen disarmament zones. This is a poor argument. Expound on why the citizen should be armed in public, particularly in group settings. Expound on the risk of citizen disarmament in group settings.

We should fully implement the recently enacted FIX NICS legislation. This would help ensure that people who shouldn’t have guns can’t get them. Everyone agrees that dangerous people shouldn’t have firearms, yet the system we use to keep that from happening has holes. This legislation has been signed into law and now needs to be implemented.
*wince*
It's not the government's job to keep people from obtaining property when they are free in society. The proper role of government is to protect people's Negative Rights and uphold justice. The entire FFL system, NICS and all it's trappings, is antithetical to America.

He admits the attempt to control "dangerous people" who "shouldn't have firearms". How many laws, how many dollars, how many databases, are going to be required to actually keep people from certain property in America? In the end, we've expended all of this capital and energy and yet, the complaint of State failure persists.
The media should be held accountable.

SNIP

We need real solutions, and I’ve just listed five. I hope, in the future, we can broaden the conversation and talk about the complexity of this issue — rather than blaming lawful gun owners. The reason nothing has changed is because the only actionable solution put forth has been firearm regulation. It’s time America’s politicians and thought-leaders get real about the problem at hand, and start looking at solutions that can actually work.
None of these five points are rooted in freedom. "Getting real / taking security seriously" is not an actionable proposal. Who can blame the high school junior for believing that the State will or can keep people safe? It's the only solution that he's been supplied, raw government power. It is not much of a solution to the issues at hand. Freedom works. Yes, there will still be crime. The culture will never reach utopia, but we can begin rebuilding the foundations that made America great (if we all have to adopt the Clinton verbiage while recognizing that society is becoming sicker, not healthier).
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Kyle Kashuv NOT helping

Post by Mr. Glock »

I’ve said this before, but if we have a NICS, then it should work 100%. Having a poorly performing NICS doesn’t help anyone in any anti or pro 2A camp.

I think this would be more palatable to many if it wasn’t de facto gun registration (ie not listing serial #s on the 4473 form).
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Mr. Glock wrote:I’ve said this before, but if we have a NICS, then it should work 100%. Having a poorly performing NICS doesn’t help anyone in any anti or pro 2A camp.

I think this would be more palatable to many if it wasn’t de facto gun registration (ie not listing serial #s on the 4473 form).
That would help, since it shouldn't matter what kind of a gun we are buying. It might be a step in the right direction. But it still would be a list of who has bought firearms. I do not believe the .gov should have that. They have shown that they cannot be trusted. If Hillary had gotten in, I believe she would have used NICS to confiscate. Maybe not in term 1, but certainly at the beginning of a second term so guns would be out of play when she could really go full Marxist on us.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The ATF has been digitizing out-of-business dealers 4473s for quite some time, so I don’t think you are
wrong. Those records aren’t going away, and I see the push for Universal Background checks in the same
light. The next quick step would be full digital registry (never mind it was very expensive and didn’t work in Canada).

To pull the teeth on it, a 4473 without gun type or serial number would be a solid option that also would expose the Universal Backgrounders as Gun Grabbers when they protested the change.

I’m certainly not in the trust-the-government camp, but I do think we need to deal with the here and
now. The 2a forces have been largely off-message in any response to Universal Background Checks- it is
just too complex to communicate to the low-information voter- and that will catch up to us the way the Antis are marshalling their PR forces.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member