MSM coverage of school shootings cause homeschooling surge

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

MSM coverage of school shootings cause homeschooling surge

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. Ray, president of the National Home Education Research Institute in Salem, Oregon, who has conducted homeschool research for 33 years, said school safety has increasingly become an issue for parents looking at teaching their kids at home.

He said the top three reasons that parents choose homeschooling are a desire to provide religious instruction or different values than those offered in public schools; dissatisfaction with the academic curriculum, and worries about the school environment.After a gunman opened fire on students in Parkland, Florida, the phones started ringing at the Texas Home School Coalition, and they haven’t stopped yet.

The Lubbock-based organization has been swamped with inquiries for months from parents seeking safer options for their kids in the aftermath of this year’s deadly school massacres, first in Parkland and then in Santa Fe, Texas.

SNIP

And it’s not just the threat of school shootings. Christopher Chin, president of Homeschool Louisiana, said parents are also increasingly concerned about “the violence, the bullying, the unsafe environments.”

“One of the things we’ve seen definitely an uptick in the last five years is the aspect of violence. It’s the bullying. That is off the charts,” Mr. Chin said.

In his experience, a mass shooting won’t change the minds of parents satisfied with their children’s public-school experiences, but it can tip the balance for those already leaning toward home education.

“I think what happens with these school shootings is they’re the straws that broke the camel’s back,” Mr. Chin said. “I don’t think it’s the major decision-maker, but it’s in the back of parents’ minds.”

Brian D. Ray, president of the National Home Education Research Institute in Salem, Oregon, who has conducted homeschool research for 33 years, said school safety has increasingly become an issue for parents looking at teaching their kids at home.

He said the top three reasons that parents choose homeschooling are a desire to provide religious instruction or different values than those offered in public schools; dissatisfaction with the academic curriculum, and worries about the school environment.
But what about socialization, they cry???

Here's a speaker discussing millennials in the workplace, note the words "social skills" (6:15-7:00, 12:35).

For Reals?

AND, as this trend away from State sponsored warehousing continues, people may find RKBA, gun videos online, communities like ours, and thoughts that they would never had been otherwise exposed to.

Given enough motivation, people desire to protect themselves, particularly after realizing that nobody else will protect them. Thankfully we live in a time and place where there are still some options (though they are being increasingly targeted). (How's that for being positive!)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: MSM coverage of school shootings cause homeschooling sur

Post by bignflnut »

It seems at once dangerous and neglectful for parents to send children to a place where the most deadly of dangers is an ever-present possibility. Sure, there are the six percent of school shootings that do not occur at public schools, but what about the 94 percent that do? Why take that chance unnecessarily?

In an elegantly written piece published by Freedom Project America entitled “Mass Shootings Spark Growing Interest in Homeschooling,” author Alex Newman reports that many parents across the country are fleeing the fear and teaching their children at home, the way so many other generations were.

SNIP

We live in a time when millions of self-described “conservatives” send their children to government-funded schools where these families’ values are mocked and made to seem silly and out of touch. They send them to schools where when the kids get home after 8 or 9 hours of indoctrination, parents are forced not only to endure another 4 or 5 hours of homework (a concept completely foreign to education prior to the late 19th Century), but diligent and dutiful parents must deprogram their children, explaining why they don’t agree with the practices and principles that their teachers have praised all day.

All of this is apart from the legitimate fear of violence not only from armed sociopaths, but from the bullying that keeps so many kids in a state of perpetual fear of going to school in the first place.

SNIP

Do we not stop and consider the costs: physical, intellectual, and psychological of our perpetual support for public schools?

With our lips we draw near unto doing away with the public schools and abolishing the Department of Education, but our hearts continue to somehow justify sending our precious children to those same institutions.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Several people have anonymously expressed concerns with an event that took place Friday, May 25, the last day of school, at East Elementary School in Athens. Principal Andrea Bobo walked the school hallways spraying kids and teachers with water guns in what she has said was a yearly end-of-school-year gag.

“On the last day of school I did squirt water at students and staff members,” Bobo wrote in an email Tuesday. “This is something I’ve done as a building principal on the last day of school for several years and was always a greatly anticipated event.”

Despite the anonymous complaints made to The NEWS, Bobo said at the time that she had not heard of anyone who was upset by the ritual prank. “The parents, staff and students appeared to be having fun, and I was approached by several parents later that gave me positive feedback and loved that we ended the year in a lighthearted and fun manner,” she said.

One East Elementary educator – who provided identification but asked not to be named for fears of retaliation – said that Bobo had approximately eight large water guns with her in a backpack, and was squirting people with one of them. “Children were screaming; they were crying. It was horrendous... you could hear screams in each room that she entered,” the educator said. “She was on both floors; she shot teachers in the face; she shot children. Everybody was soaked.”

Here's an indication of the public school culture...

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Not too long after the Parkland shooting, my wife and I were visiting some out of state relatives, one of whom is a teacher. Somehow the subject of arming teachers came up (I think because Trump mentioned it) and she said she thought it was a terrible idea. Her reasoning was that she didn't trust some of her fellow teachers. She suspected one of being a chronic alcoholic, another a drug addict, a couple with anger issues, and many of them just barely competent to be teaching, much less try to learn something new like using a gun against an active shooter. :( I said to her if they're that bad why are they teaching? She implied that there was nothing she could do about, that was up to administration and the union. She said most of the parents could care less, they mainly just want to be able to send their kids something for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. :(
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We have (rough math here) 500,000 CHL holders in Ohio, out of around 8,000,000 eligible adults over 21. Six percent and change, for a license that's not hard to get, or expensive.

Now, take educators: As a group I'd say their political bent is more left than the general population. Given that, plus the increased training and expense involved to get certified for in-school carry, I doubt any district will ever have even 5% of the staff armed.

Reason I usually point this out is to stifle histrionics from lefties who go right to the sophistry arguing tactic "You gun nuts want EVERYBODY running around armed, don't you?!"

A small percentage is fine by me for the schools. As long as just WHO they are doesn't become general knowledge to the students or anybody else with nefarious plans.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. wrote:We have (rough math here) 500,000 CHL holders in Ohio, out of around 8,000,000 eligible adults over 21. Six percent and change, for a license that's not hard to get, or expensive.

Now, take educators: As a group I'd say their political bent is more left than the general population. Given that, plus the increased training and expense involved to get certified for in-school carry, I doubt any district will ever have even 5% of the staff armed.

Reason I usually point this out is to stifle histrionics from lefties who go right to the sophistry arguing tactic "You gun nuts want EVERYBODY running around armed, don't you?!"

A small percentage is fine by me for the schools. As long as just WHO they are doesn't become general knowledge to the students or anybody else with nefarious plans.
I went looking for the number of teachers in Ohio.
There are 3505 public schools in Ohio (15-16) 1928 of them are elementary schools (55%) in 610 districts
1.68 million public school kids vs 28,539 homeschoolers
14 universities and 24 community colleges

State says minimum one teacher per 25 students in a district...

(SHOW YER WORK) Ifin there's 1,682,031 and we divide by 25 = 67,281 teachers, with a .24 remainder.
Ohio Education Association, a teachers union, claims 125,000 members in 2018 (so, there's that)
Ballotpedia says there were 106,000 Ohio public school teachers in 2013 (enrollment numbers seem to be lower in 15-16)
5% of 67,281 is 3364 (That's just about one per school...granted we're leaving out the universities and post-secondary school mumbo jumbo).

So, what would it cost to train up 3364 to just north of 5000 willing, volunteering people (and maybe some administrative staff)?

Shall we screen for anti-depressants, alcohol use, happiness quotient, bubbly personality, 5 years of prior service to the district, etc...?

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Here's the results of a survey of educators about school safety taken after the Sandy Hook shooting.

Guns and School Safety Survey Results

“36.3% of educators surveyed report owning a firearm, 37.1% of whom say they would be likely or very likely to bring it to school if allowed.”

37.1% of 36.3% is 13.47% of all teachers surveyed.

Frankly I find that number to be quite heartening.

Nearly 1 out of 7 are willing to arm themselves to protect their students.

Frankly,I didn't expect it to be that high.

That's higher than the typical percentage of eligible adults that get a CHP or CHL.

Notice that this COSTS the school system NOTHING. These teachers already have firearms and know how to use them.
The parents have already placed their children’s safety into these teacher’s hands, why not let them use the proper tools to better protect them.

Note also that in no way am I saying to arm ALL school staff.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

For the kinds of folks who love to skew statistics and spread lies and agenda with them (*cough* MSM) then I'd like to point out that there are FAR more shootings in homes than in schools.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:Here's the results of a survey of educators about school safety taken after the Sandy Hook shooting.

“36.3% of educators surveyed report owning a firearm, 37.1% of whom say they would be likely or very likely to bring it to school if allowed.”

That's higher than the typical percentage of eligible adults that get a CHP or CHL.
I bet it will end up being about 25% of that 13.47% who end up actually following through. Ever track the projected versus actual numbers in the armed airline pilots program post 9/11/01? Unions and employers threw up roadblocks, schools and school employee unions will do the same.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AlanM wrote:Here's the results of a survey of educators about school safety taken after the Sandy Hook shooting.

Notice that this COSTS the school system NOTHING. These teachers already have firearms and know how to use them.
The parents have already placed their children’s safety into these teacher’s hands, why not let them use the proper tools to better protect them.

The bolded part might not be exactly true. No school system is going to allow school staff to carry in the school simply because a staff member owns a gun, or even has a CHL. It's going to cost the school system something to give additional training to the volunteer school staff, even though that cost would be a mere fraction of the cost of an additional SRO. In addition, there might be some increase in the schools insurance cost, although whatever that cost might be would be a drop in the bucket compared the lives lost in a mass shooting. Not for the insurance company of course, because no one holds the school financially liable for merely doing nothing. :(
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

This comes from an ammoland.com "story" with the headline "Parents Can Stop School Shootings".

Every year, around August or so, don't we see the spirits of adults rise because they're celebrating their children returning to the 9 months of a year warehouse? Don't we hear the lamentations of parents in late May/early June when their kids are home?

Don't parents send their kids to daycare at age 10 weeks (or sooner)? Head Start!

The State begs parents to surrender their children. Free education, baby. Anybody else hearing that question: What would it profit a man to surrender his child but lose that child's soul?

There's the State, offering free and reduced breakfasts, lunches, after school programs...at colossal debt fueled taxpayer expense, and people have the nerve to expect parents to have influence over a child they don't see for 8-12 waking hours 5 days a week? (When's that year round schooling going to kick in?) How is one expected to parent when moving kids from soccer to swimming to gymnastics to basketball to etc constantly from an age prior to 10 (Hello Saturdays!)? What time is an adult going to spend building the child's character or letting wisdom seep into the child's pores? When can the kid get the 10-12 hours of sleep they need?

Why parent, anymore? It's too damn hard, they say. There's a yellow Lord of the Flies bus that I can get my kid on at 7AM, send them off...maybe not even cook dinner! (Cooking is SO hard, right?)

Surrender your kid to the State, then society says you're not being a good enough parent after following the State's advice. Never the State's fault, is it?

People are destroyed for a lack of knowledge. Since you have forgotten the law ... forget your children.

WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

M-Quigley wrote:

The bolded part might not be exactly true. No school system is going to allow school staff to carry in the school simply because a staff member owns a gun, or even has a CHL. It's going to cost the school system something to give additional training to the volunteer school staff, even though that cost would be a mere fraction of the cost of an additional SRO. In addition, there might be some increase in the schools insurance cost, although whatever that cost might be would be a drop in the bucket compared the lives lost in a mass shooting. Not for the insurance company of course, because no one holds the school financially liable for merely doing nothing. :(
I'm guessing that, of the teachers that would do so if allowed, many would pay for their own training on their own time in order to be able to carry in their work environment. I know I would (if I were a teacher). Second - there are many within the community, myself included, that would donate to a fund to properly train teachers that wanted to protect the children but couldn't, or didn't want to, afford to do so.

Having said all that, schools find ways to afford an SRO -- this option would be cheaper -- so I'm thinking there are ways to get it done so that it doesn't cost the school anything (or any more).
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. wrote:I bet it will end up being about 25% of that 13.47% who end up actually following through. Ever track the projected versus actual numbers in the armed airline pilots program post 9/11/01? Unions and employers threw up roadblocks, schools and school employee unions will do the same.
School employee unions just took a large blow in the recent SCOTUS term, not being able any longer to siphon paycheck digits into their own accounts.

To add insult to injury:
Seven California teachers have filed a federal class-action lawsuit for return of fees previously paid to their union in the wake of the Supreme Court’s recent ruling that public sector unions can no longer compel non-members to pay dues.

“This lawsuit will enable teachers like me to recover the agency fees that we were wrongly forced to pay against our will,” said Scott Wilford, the plaintiff in the lawsuit, reports Education Week.
So not only has the gravy train been cut down a great deal (Money tree being sliced by a large %), but there may be an opportunity for the current coffers to be attacked by those who objected to having their currency units taken improperly in the past.

Sufficed to say that the unions will have less capital with which to bring forth the aforementioned roadblocks/lawsuits.

*Applause*

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

It will also be interesting to see whether the fee withholding contracts that the California public sector unions starting using this past year hold up. The contracts, as I understand it, were mandatory and contained a clause that said they were valid even if the Supreme Court ruled the withholdings to be improper. I personally think that these are invalid clauses considering that the contracts are mandatory and the term is against public policy and legal determination, but, in California, there's no telling how that will go. This issue may come before the Court again in the next year or so.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand