Wealthy and Celebs getting badges to carry nationally

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Wealthy and Celebs getting badges to carry nationally

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -to-play-c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rich and celebrities bypassing the law? I'm :shock:

Perhaps there is a solution out there for the law abiding, rich and poor alike, to be able to defend themselves against crime if needed, across the entire U.S? Something perhaps that would make this and the abuses of "shall issue" CHL's irrelevent? :roll:
“These are pretty serious benefits that you get, and they’re to support the public,” said Cunningham, who resigned from Congress in 2005 after admitting to taking bribes and served time in prison. “You don’t just hand these things out like candy.”

But that’s pretty much what happened in Lake Arthur, a town of 433 in southeast New Mexico that appointed Smith and more than 300 men from across the country as volunteer reserve officers. The department was disbanded last month after Bloomberg Businessweek reported on its practices and a local TV station made inquiries. State and federal authorities are investigating.

Similar scenarios have played out in Oakley, Michigan, and Hudspeth County in West Texas. In Oakley, a village of about 300, the police department charged $1,200 to become a cop. It tried to keep the names of some 150 volunteers confidential by saying they could be targeted by Islamic State jihadis. When a list of applicants became public a few years ago, it included out-of-town lawyers and businessmen, a pro football player and the musician Kid Rock.

Action-movie star Steven Seagal got a badge from Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West. So did at least five people linked to a civilian Navy unit in Virginia that became the focus of an unrelated corruption investigation, the Washington Post reported. According to 2016 testimony in the case, members of the Navy unit helped direct $14,000 worth of radio equipment to the sheriff’s office and used their shields to travel the country armed, including on commercial airlines.
To qualify for the concealed-carry perk, known as H.R. 218 after the House version of the bill, officers must be authorized to make arrests and carry a gun on duty. An unarmed dispatcher or records clerk doesn’t meet that standard. But in some states, volunteers can carry weapons and make arrests without completing the rigorous certification process required of most full-time cops. In these states, police chiefs and sheriffs can award the privileges to pretty much anyone they want.

That’s partly why nobody knows how big the badge market is. There’s little state or federal oversight, and some localities keep their volunteer rosters secret.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Wealthy and Celebs getting badges to carry nationally

Post by WY_Not »

Wealthy and celebs? Heck for $1200 even a normal person could swing that if they really wanted to.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
SMMAssociates

Re: Wealthy and Celebs getting badges to carry nationally

Post by SMMAssociates »

$1200 is way more than I paid :) ....

Time was that a Police Chief or Sheriff could appoint Special Officers (or Special Deputies) with little oversight, and no further requirements.

(I picked up my first Commission within about six months of the rule kicking in that required new Officers - including Specials - to take OPOTA training. NBD, but it was a tad better than the CHL course, although many times longer. $50-ish.)

Those went away around here when somebody shot somebody and the City's insurance folks changed some minds.

When I decided to get a CHL, I asked if my OPOTA certification would be acceptable. Seems that 1968 was too old :D.... (A more recent certification is acceptable.)

Back in the old days, I could carry just about anywhere except the Jail. No CPZs anywhere.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם