Oklahoma passes stand your ground for churches

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Oklahoma passes stand your ground for churches

Post by M-Quigley »

The story doesn't say whether or not churches have to post or not to stop their flock from having the means to defend themselves.

Other websites said the new legislation could weaken gun rights in the state, but I couldn't access those sites with my computer, so I'm not sure what they mean.

https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/oklahom ... id/859115/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new law in the U.S. state of Oklahoma allows churchgoers to use guns to respond to threats of violence, without the worry that they could face criminal or civil penalties.

Governor Mary Fallin signed the bill into law Monday, which extends so-called "stand your ground" protections to places of worship.

Those protections had previously applied to private property, allowing homeowners, for instance, to shoot threatening intruders without having to prove that deadly force was their last resort.

The bill had been overwhelmingly approved by Oklahoma's legislature in April, with only one Democrat voting against the measure in the state's Senate.

The law bars lawsuits or criminal charges against anyone who fires a shot in self-defense inside a church or any other place of worship.

Similar measures have been introduced in several other states with varying degrees of success, following the November 2017 shooting at a church in Texas.