13 yr old running for governor on anti gun platform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

13 yr old running for governor on anti gun platform

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/year-old-boy-r ... GPlfeJUGK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is no minimum age to run for governor in Vermont, so Sonenborn is officially the youngest candidate for that office in state history, CNN reported.

Sonneborn is running as a Democrat and will face two other candidates in the party’s primary election in August. The winner will face incumbent Gov. Phil Scott, 59, a Republican.

The teen’s platform will focus on stricter gun control legislation an issue he has stressed since announcing his candidacy in 2017, CNN reported.

"I'll admit when I first heard about a 13-year-old running, I thought, 'Is this some kid from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, spoiled?' But that's not the case," Vermont Democratic Party Executive Director Conor Casey told CNN. "Ethan really did embrace the gun issue early on. He's representing younger people and he's been a good voice for them."

Sonneborn admitted that hunting is an important part of life in New England.

"It's a culture that I respect," he said. "But if it's making the decision between letting my friends have a good time at a firing range and them possibly being involved in a school shooting, I'm choosing legislation to protect them from that school shooting."
Unlike adults who say things like this, perhaps he really believes what he said, since he lacks the life experience at 13 to know that it's not an either or thing. Prohibiting a legal activity at a shooting range will not prevent an illegal activity such as a school shooting. I've never seen a gun control law in the US that has reduced the possibility of a mass shooting, or the casualty count if one occurs. The only effect gun control laws have ever had on the majority of mass shootings is to potentially make them worse, because many of them are in criminal protection zones.