Gun Control in Tombstone AZ

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Gun Control in Tombstone AZ

Post by Mr. Glock »

The Anti crowd makes a big deal about how bloody times were in the Wild West (although researching the facts indicate that it wasn't all that violent for the times and population levels) and how Tombstone AZ had gun control. Tombstone was a boomtown, due to the fact that a rich vein of silver was found there. At its peak, roughly 14,000 people (vast majority were young men) lived in Tombstone and the majority worked as miners. The mine never closed, so Tombstone was a 24 hour town. And, when not in the mine, those miners tended to drink. A lot. Hence, the decree to not "go about town heeled", so as to lower the very high local death rate from drunk disagreements. It wasn't gun control, it was drunk control.

And, it didn't apply to everyone equally, as we see in history.

But, these days, it does. Anyone see anything ironic in the below photo? (I took it recently on site):

OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Gun Control in Tombstone AZ

Post by Javelin Man »

The ashtray in the lower left! People aren't allowed to smoke in a saloon anymore. 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

Doc Holliday had WiFi?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I visited Tombstone about a year ago. The place is utterly littered with "No Guns" signs. The reenactment of the gunfight was interesting, though.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

The big gunfight was over gun control!

I was there a few years back, for about ten minutes. Super tourist trap. I returned to the boonies.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

screwman wrote:I was there a few years back, for about ten minutes. Super tourist trap. I returned to the boonies.
Ditto. A couple Arizona oddities though. What you see is known as a 4-229 sign that prohibits carrying in a liquor establishment. Pretty much every place in Tombstone is posted as such, as Sodbuster notes. But here’s the fun part: 4-229 signs do not apply to non-residents, nor do they apply if the sign is not immediately adjacent to the liquor license. In AZ I’ve seen plenty of 4-229 signs on doors but almost none next to liquor licenses.

Secondly, Tombstone is south of the special ICE line so as you drive back north you will be stopped at a CBP checkpoint. As I drove my rental car full of not Mexicans I decided the best place for my pistol was in plain view between the seat and the gear shifter. I pulled up and stopped with the window already down and both hands on the wheel. The CBP guy looked at me and the only thing he said was “I like your style. Good day.”