Retired associate justice says repeal 2nd Amendment

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Retired associate justice says repeal 2nd Amendment

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opin ... pe=article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I disagree with his opinion, at least he's actually coming out and saying what he really thinks, unlike most anti gunners who merely want to deceive the undecided. :roll:
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Retired associate justice says repeal 2nd Amendment

Post by WY_Not »

I say go for it.

The first ten were required in order to even get the current constitution passed. Repeal any of them and the whole thing is null and void.

Besides, they also tell government where it may not tread. By acting to repeal them they are in fact treading where they were told not to.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Relic of 18th century? Arizona Constitution is from 20th Century. "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men. "
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I missread....thought it said retarded associate justice.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

I suppose he forgot what happened when King George tried the same thing! :shock:
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

This scum bag John Paul Stevens should be the first one to lose any kind of security or protection provided by tax payers.
Black Rifles Matter
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I cannot find any videos showing him stating this recent position. I do find where he said anti-2A statement just a few years ago already in his 90s.

The only way he wants to change the 2nd ALSO changes the 1st, being, the ability for anyone to have advocacy for them on their positions. Namely he attacks the NRA , wanting to 'restrict' their free speech via 'restricting' 2A

Former Justice Stevens is attacking free speech but the water carriers, formerly called reporters & reporterettes, are allll too quick to knee-jerk & squawk ''blame the 2A'' ''NRA'' etc. Or just too plain stupid to realize it.

Or both hehe

And that's just a quick summation on the reason why, THANK GOD, the amendments were written very similarly so as to stop an attack on one or you invite attack on the beloved other.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Ford Appointment
Ford ran as a Republican.
Concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of the separate states led to the adoption of that amendment, which provides that “a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Today that concern is a relic of the 18th century.
Didn't the GOP just celebrate funding such a national standing army? Nevermind that...

Yes, if you give the government a true monopoly on force, bad things happen. This is not a relic of any century. It happens consistently in history. Even in the 20th Century:
There are a number of cases where a wave of gun confiscation and registration directly presaged a democidal outbreak. Examples of this include:

In Turkey, gun control was tightened prior to the Armenian genocide.
The Soviet Union instituted gun control in 1929, disarming the formerly heavily armed Soviet populace.
China’s gun control program was rolled out by the Republic of China in 1938.
Guatemala started gun control in 1964, prior to killing 100,000 Mayan Indians.
Uganda’s gun control program began in 1970, almost immediately before an eight-year program of exterminating Christians began.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Hilariously, Redneck comedians are pointing us to history in order to caution those who share Stevens' view:

History, History, History! Learn from it. RT @PoliticalShort: Those wanting to repeal the Second Amendment should read Judge Kozinski’s Dissenting Opinion in Silveira v. Lockyer https://t.co/CgjhjNoSxl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pic.twitter.com/AzsMRoCORK

— Larry The Cable Guy (@GitRDoneLarry) March 27, 2018
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

THE SECOND AMENDMENT WILL NEVER BE REPEALED! As much as Democrats would like to see this happen, and despite the words yesterday of former Supreme Court Justice Stevens, NO WAY. We need more Republicans in 2018 and must ALWAYS hold the Supreme Court!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 28, 2018

Mr. Trump’s declaration in an early morning tweet came after days of silence on the subject, despite student-organized marches around the country over the weekend calling for more gun control.

On Tuesday, the retired Justice John Paul Stevens wrote an Op-Ed in The New York Times calling for the repeal of the Second Amendment.
Be still, my heart.
Swooooooon and squeeeeee as our hero takes to twitter!

propertymanager

Post by propertymanager »

I honestly think that Trump is responsible for this entire mess. When he signaled his support for the bump stock ban, he signaled his willingness to give in to the anti's. He gave an inch, now the anti's want to take a mile. The anti's are unleashed and are calling for gun bans, confiscation, and even the killing of pro 2A citizens. Nice job Trump!
Mike
OFCC Member
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I also see this as a (hopefully) sure fire way to fire up the pro gun base.
Stevens and the NYT did the NRA and GOA a big favor, they now have real solid talking points to back up the "They want to take our guns!"

On Saturday I donations to both GOA and NRA, I might just made a few more now.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

The last three posts hit it exactly

Although still, the highest authority with the most influence over all matters in America is not POTUS, SCOTUS and/or retirees, it is the fully functional United States Citizen.

Still in modern day America, yes in the times of Instagram, facepage twiller and such, where even emails seem old fashioned , politicians CRINGE if they get 10, 30...100 handwritten letters from constituents on a same or similar topic. Yes contacting Reps is part of the CV for the Citizen mentioned, above.

Speaking of CV criteria, 23 days until the rally :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
propertymanager

Post by propertymanager »

What rally?
Mike
OFCC Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:I cannot find any videos showing him stating this recent position. I do find where he said anti-2A statement just a few years ago already in his 90s.
In the OP, the link is a NY times Op Ed on March 27, 2018, it says that the op ed was written by John Paul Stevens. Are you saying that he didn't write it, or that he wrote it a few years ago?