NYT 2nd Amendment Op-Ed

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

NYT 2nd Amendment Op-Ed

Post by AlanM »

This is a free link so you should have no problem accessing it.

Why Gun Culture Is So Strong in Rural America
KNOXVILLE, Iowa — As Democrats have fled rural America — or rural America has fled Democrats — many of them, living in cities, are left without an understanding of rural culture and its core values. If it isn’t on abortion, our deepest cultural divide might be on guns. The guns issue also has a profound political dimension, reliably driving rural Americans into Republican arms.

It’s been many years since I hunted squirrels and rabbits with my Grandpa Leonard. I grew up around guns and remember the pride I had when I completed my N.R.A.-sponsored gun safety training in Boy Scouts, back when the N.R.A. was a group primarily known for teaching gun appreciation and safety rather than lobbying.

I have come to understand and appreciate arguments for more gun control. But guns are important to the culture in my conservative community in Iowa, and people around here reject most gun control legislation. So I do my best to understand where they are coming from.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: NYT 2nd Amendment Op-Ed

Post by Mr. Glock »

Well, that was surprising from the Old Grey Lady. Not National Review by any means, but for the NYT, that is right wing.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote:Well, that was surprising from the Old Grey Lady. Not National Review by any means, but for the NYT, that is right wing.
It's an Opposing viewpoint to the NYT, not any change in their position on the 2nd.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

He makes some fair points. But I'm not sure I agree with what seems to be his unspoken premise - that "rural" America generally agrees with liberal politics save for the single issue of gun control. I would suggest that there is a much greater political divide between the heavily populated and "rural" America than that one issue.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

M-Quigley wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Well, that was surprising from the Old Grey Lady. Not National Review by any means, but for the NYT, that is right wing.
It's an Opposing viewpoint to the NYT, not any change in their position on the 2nd.
Oh, for sure. Notable just that they ran it, as it’s well off their narrative. I’m not saying it is a great let’s all come together and save 2A article, I’m saying it has a nuanced approach that is usually lacking at the NYT.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member