Seattle uses "red flag" to strip man of guns

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Seattle uses "red flag" to strip man of guns

Post by bignflnut »

The new “red flag” law, which has taken hold in other states already, allows the courts and law enforcement to take away guns from individuals they deem are dangerous and they’ve just begun the confiscation. A man living in the Belltown neighborhood of Seattle, Washington became the first individual in the state to have his firearm confiscated without any formal arrest or charges. The man was not identified by authorities.

Neighbors complained that the man had been “staring” at people through storefront windows while wearing a holstered firearm. He was not brandishing his weapon by any account, and open carrying is legal in the area, so he was abiding by the law. Other residents also complained that the man’s open carrying made them feel “uncomfortable” and “unsafe.”

“He was roaming the hallways with a .25 caliber automatic,” said Tony Montana, a man who lives in the same apartment complex as the gun owner and a person without any reasonable gun knowledge. Handguns are semi-automatic.

These lousy complaints from neighbors allowed police to use the newly passed state law to confiscate the man’s firearm because the man apparently stared at others. Maybe there’s a ban on staring at others in Washington we are unaware of. Under the extreme risk protection orders — also referred to as “erpos” or “red flag laws” — police (government officials) are now allowed to violate a person’s Second and Fourth Amendment rights (which are basic fundamental human rights) and take their legally acquired personal property if they are tattled on by offended liberals.
Anti-social behavior complaints give rise to a warrant, and confiscation.
The man, who we are not naming, is also well known to the bars and restaurants below his unit along Second Ave. The volume of complaints convinced Seattle police to seek an extreme risk protection order - or “erpo” – which allows law enforcement to legally remove guns from people deemed a danger to themselves or others.

In this case, the man refused to comply. Because of the new law, police were then able to return with a warrant and force the man to surrender the firearm.

“I’m very supportive of this law,” Montana said. “This is a perfect case in point where it's had some efficacy. It was an immediate crisis and law enforcement was able to remove his firearms, so it very well could have saved lives."

A few dozen erpos have been served and executed around the state, but Seattle police said they are the only agency so far to seize a gun because the owner refused to hand it over.
Nanny State. Not protecting our Rights, but misunderstanding negative Rights.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
ArmedAviator

Re: Seattle uses "red flag" to strip man of guns

Post by ArmedAviator »

When laws fail the lawful, why is the 2nd Amendment not being applied as intended?

Seriously, consider it for a minute. If this became a law in Ohio and one of our members got to the point of having to refuse to give up weapons and we knew the next step was warrant and ILLEGAL confiscation, would that person call other friends of the 2nd Amendment? Would those friends show up in droves ready and willing to defend what we hold dear?

Or would it be left to one man vs a, for lack of a better word, army of police/SWAT, likely murdered, and then shown to be a crazed lunatic on TV?

What's the point of defending the 2nd Amendment while letting people get away with this?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

On the one hand, the news source says:
The incident involves a man who lives in Belltown, who neighbors said had been intimidating people for the past year - even staring-down customers through store-front windows with a gun holstered at his side.
but on the other hand
“I’m very supportive of this law,” Montana said. “This is a perfect case in point where it's had some efficacy. It was an immediate crisis and law enforcement was able to remove his firearms, so it very well could have saved lives."
“He was roaming the hallways with a .25 caliber automatic,” said Tony Montana, who knows the man from his apartment complex. “And it created a lot of fear obviously because I didn't know if he was coming after me or gonna just start shooting the place up."
He's going to "shoot the place up" with a .25 acp that's been holstered on his side for a year?

Also I'm trying to imagine a guy named Tony Montana being scared of a guy with a 25. acp pistol. Where have I heard that name before? :roll:
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I've never hit paper with my .25. Besides downrange, I have no clue where the bullets are going. Plus, the gun is a PITA to shoot. No memory if my father ever explained to me how and why this pistol came into our possession.
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

Interesting how someone who doesn't know he was carrying a semi automatic knew it was a. 25 cal!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote:I've never hit paper with my .25. Besides downrange, I have no clue where the bullets are going. Plus, the gun is a PITA to shoot. No memory if my father ever explained to me how and why this pistol came into our possession.
Didn't want to get off topic, but am now curious, what kind or brand of .25 is it? and at what distances have you shot it?

Regarding semi vs. auto in terminology, I have seen older handguns that say .25 auto or .25 automatic on them. The automatic is referring to auto loading, not auto firing obviously. When the manufacturers put that on the side of the gun the issue of semi vs. automatic probably wasn't some political buzzword being misused by anti gunners. :roll:
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote: Didn't want to get off topic, but am now curious, what kind or brand of .25 is it? and at what distances have you shot it?

This would be the one. 1910 model. You have to push in on the back of the pistol while you're pulling the trigger to get it to shoot. Always shot at 25 yards on the Adams Conservation Club pistol range.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

kcclark wrote:
M-Quigley wrote: Didn't want to get off topic, but am now curious, what kind or brand of .25 is it? and at what distances have you shot it?

This would be the one. 1910 model. You have to push in on the back of the pistol while you're pulling the trigger to get it to shoot. Always shot at 25 yards on the Adams Conservation Club pistol range.
Man, if you can hit paper at 25yds., yeah, that's 75 ft., with that .25cal. I need to take lessons from you.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

qmti wrote: Man, if you can hit paper at 25yds., yeah, that's 75 ft., with that .25cal. I need to take lessons from you.
He didn't say how big the paper was or if he even hit it.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.