trying to find answer r/t 18-20 yr olds

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

trying to find answer r/t 18-20 yr olds

Post by M-Quigley »

Regarding raising the purchasing age for rifles and shotguns to 21, I know this adversely affects 18-20 yr. old hunters, but I'm trying to find examples of 18-20 yr olds using those types of guns for home defense. I know there must be examples out there, but when I search I have only found examples of people even younger that this age range. Even if it's only 1 example, as the anti gunners say, even if it might save one life it is worth it. :roll: My internet searching skills must be lacking. Does anyone know of examples of this, or know of a way to find out?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: trying to find answer r/t 18-20 yr olds

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:Regarding raising the purchasing age for rifles and shotguns to 21, I know this adversely affects 18-20 yr. old hunters, but I'm trying to find examples of 18-20 yr olds using those types of guns for home defense. I know there must be examples out there, but when I search I have only found examples of people even younger that this age range. Even if it's only 1 example, as the anti gunners say, even if it might save one life it is worth it. :roll: My internet searching skills must be lacking. Does anyone know of examples of this, or know of a way to find out?
I'm sure there are some examples, but you are off track on the saving one life. It's not the gun owner's life the anti's want to save - that life is expendable.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Here is a 19 year old who used a shotgun to defend against an armed person trying to break into his apartment. I posted 2 links because one states hes age but not the type of firearm and the other states type of firearm but not age.

http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/1 ... /542835017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malik Hyatt, 19, told police he heard someone banging on the door of his apartment and trying to kick it in early Monday morning.
Hyatt said he looked through the peephole and saw a man he did not know with something by his side.
He told his 22-year-old sister to go to her room, grabbed a gun and shot through the door twice
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/dek ... Gp0GJ7wCM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police said Malik Hyatt told his sister to go inside a room and he went to grab his shotgun.
“He observed the male subject having his hands near his side pocket and started kicking on the front door,” Officer S. Nguyen wrote in the report.
Police said Hyatt fired two shots to the suspect’s head, killing him.

Here is a well known 2012 case from Oklahoma where an 18 year old widowed mother defended herself with a shotgun, well known because she asked the 911 operator if it was ok to shoot the intruders.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/01/04/justice/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I've got two guns in my hand. Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?" asked McKinley, 18.
"Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself," dispatcher Diane Graham responded. "I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby."
In the end, McKinley fired a 12-gauge shotgun and killed Justin Shane Martin after he entered her residence, according to a Blanchard Police Department affidavit filed in court Wednesday.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Here is one thing most don't realize when they are looking into these cases. Federal law allows ANYONE of ANY AGE to privately transfer a long gun. They allow 18-20 year olds to privately transfer a handgun. The only 18/21 age limit is from an FFL and it's 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns.

So when they want to increase the age limit, I know some is at a state limit but I also know there is a challenge at the federal limit. I'm just not sure if it is under federal law or under ATF regulations.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Here is one thing most don't realize when they are looking into these cases. Federal law allows ANYONE of ANY AGE to privately transfer a long gun. They allow 18-20 year olds to privately transfer a handgun. The only 18/21 age limit is from an FFL and it's 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns.

So when they want to increase the age limit, I know some is at a state limit but I also know there is a challenge at the federal limit. I'm just not sure if it is under federal law or under ATF regulations.
Wouldn't this be an even greater issue when paired with "universal background checks"?