New Alabama Senator says arming teachers is dumb, r/t cost ?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

New Alabama Senator says arming teachers is dumb, r/t cost ?

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.wkrg.com/news/local-news/sen ... /981997095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've noticed Kasich also likes to use the term "smart" when critisizing something Trump or some other politician does or proposes. Whenever a politician talks about how wrong a certain proposal is, and says something like "we need to be smart about this", or "we need to do this in a smart way", they almost never state what that smart way is. :roll:

I wish someone would've asked politicians opposed to teachers carrying, if they are opposed to Alabama's concealed carry for regular citizens to protect themselves on the street. If they say yes, so be it. at least no pretending you care about people being able to defend themselves. If they say no, then ask them, "So why can't school staff have the same right to protect themselves from murder in the classroom? Why is it okay for a gym teacher to be able to protect themselves from a murderer in the parking lot of a store, but not okay to protect themselves on school property?

Regarding the cost argument, while it's true that training school staff has an increased cost to it, it is MUCH more cost effective than hiring a dozen full time uniformed open carrying school resource officers per school, just for the worst case scenario. The alternative is to do nothing, or do something totally ineffective to the problem, and you'll end up with the same situations as before.
MOBILE, Ala (WKRG) - On a visit to Mobile Monday, Senator Doug Jones lashed out about the idea introduced in the Alabama legislature last week. The bill calls for arming teachers to prevent school shootings.

The Democratic senator minced no words at the idea telling News 5: "I think that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I think it's crazy. You don't need 40-50 guns in there and it's a cost issue. You're going to have to train those teachers. You don't need to arm America in order to stop this, you just need to be smart about it."
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New Alabama Senator says arming teachers is dumb, r/t co

Post by gaptrick »

There are armed guards in banks, drugstores, courthouses, subways, supermarkets... the list goes on and on. We find it over the top to protect our children with arms?

What does it cost to train 100 teachers, administrators, custodial staff as a group then to send them out to the school district to Put 5-20 armed, willing volunteer adults in each school... 30K? 50K? A pittance when compared to ONE armed guard per school who makes $50K a year EACH. (its my understanding there WERE a couple guards at this FL school?).

But lets legislate specific bans, confiscations and limits that will take just over 300 years to come to some type of fruition that would appease the grabbers.

The next school shooter is out there waiting and he is already armed.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

This issue is being made way more complicated than it needs to be. School boards need only to revise their policies to allow CHL holders to carry in the schools. (Ohio). Cost? A ream of copy paper and an ink cartridge to revise the policy manuals. Will that make schools safer? Maybe. Will it make schools more dangerous? How could it?

One thing we know for sure. What we are doing now ain't workin' so why do we think the same morons that created these youth kill zones are going to fix the problem.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Hey Moe -- Look!, A Democrat concerned about cost at schools.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'm willing to use my own safe bolted into my closet here at school, carry my own gun and ammo to protect my students. I'm the only teacher during high school lunch period and we're right beside the entrance everyone comes in. Being "Smart" would indicate that arming the only teacher tasked with the safety of the highest concentration of the students in any one place at any one time the whole school day would be prudent.

The rest of the day my firearm could be safely locked in my safe inside my closet inside my office. Doesn't get any plainer than that.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George