National school walkout planned for March 14th

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

National school walkout planned for March 14th

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/national-schoo ... 5FQBIWn9I/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Organizers of the Women’s March announced the plans for a 17-minute walkout beginning at 10 a.m. on March 14, which will mark the one-month anniversary of the shooting. The protest is aimed at urging Congress to enact laws that will protect schools from gun violence.

“Students and staff have the right to teach and learn in an environment free from the worry of being gunned down in their classrooms or on their way home from school,” a message on the group’s website read Saturday. “Parents have the right to send their kids to school in the mornings and see them home alive at the end of the day. We are not safe at school. We are not safe in our cities and towns. Congress must take meaningful action to keep us safe and pass federal gun reform legislation that address the public health crisis of gun violence.”
Regarding the bolded part, let someone in Congress mandate or even provide funds for something like the FASTER program, and watch how quickly they backpedal or shout it down. When they say "meaningful", they don't really mean it, they mean "gun control" even though most of what is usually proposed wouldn't have affected the past school shootings one little bit. Some of them will even admit it when pressed on the issue, but they're in the "we have to do something" mentality, even if it's useless, so they can tell themselves they've "done something" and make themselves feel better. That is, until the next school shooting. :(

(p.s., I'm not in favor of Congress passing a law making FASTER mandatory nationwide for all schools, just illustrating the hypocrisy some have)
AlanM

Re: National school walkout planned for March 14th

Post by AlanM »

Mandatory, no. But I'd be in favor if Federal funding of voluntary training.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I learned a lot in the FASTER program and have advocated it at multiple levels all the way up to state. I haven't gotten anywhere with it but have planted the seed of thought.

One of the biggest problems of implementing this program is that the local police think they MUST be the only ones in control, and the only ones with guns in the school. This eliminates any questions as to who the gunman is so they don't have to think, just squeeze the trigger like military.

The schools in very rural areas should be pushing for this program when they know the response time is more than 15 minutes on a very good day.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
CCWInstructor

Post by CCWInstructor »

Look at this http://people.com/crime/march-for-our-l ... -shooting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this https://www.marchforourlives.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I understand that the kids are scared and mad and I respect that. The FBI screwed up and the media is lying to the kids to get a result of gun control and the NRA is not the boogeyman that the media makes them out to be. Schools are soft targets because of the lying media and the liberal politicians. How do we prevent another school shooting? Allow school staff that want to conceal carry do so immediately and in colleges allow CCW on campus. Another layer of hardening can be achieved by having retired military person volunteer to harden the school's perimeter. What could the school offer the military volunteers, a free meal?

IMHO I feel that there should be an organized march on March 24th, just like we did with MIAG in Columbus.
Joel C/CCWInstructor_________________________________________________________________________________
If John Browning developed a handsgun, he would have put a 12 inch grip on it!
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

I am not familiar with the FASTER program.

What does the acronym stand for? Any links for more information?
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm with it.

Walk out of public schools for all kinds of good reasons, if physical safety isn't good enough.

Walk out for 17 years if need be, till Safe Students Act passes.

What a blessing it would be to have non-State actors educate the populace in our communities.

17 minutes? How courageous!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

gilly32 wrote:I am not familiar with the FASTER program.

What does the acronym stand for? Any links for more information?
Google it.

http://fastersaveslives.org/how-the-fas ... gram-works" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Each school selects staff members who are willing, competent, and capable. Experts on school violence provide training in armed response, crisis management, and emergency medical aid.
Abandon ye all HOPE!